• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tepesch broke into the rotation out of camp in 2013 perhaps ahead of time ... so good reason Chi Chi is going to the minors rather than TEX making that mistake ahead of time. TEX had no better option in 2013 and Tepesch actually went out and as I remember it had six pretty good starts but was hampered by absolutely abysmal run support. His numbers were better than Holland in his first season as a starter.

I think Nick Martinez is the better choice at the moment but I have not given up on Tepesch.

I also liked Justin Grimm ... who suffered from same malady of feeling he had to be perfect because of poor run support. As good a Tepesch had though May 2013 ... Grimm was actually better if everyone remembers.

I chalk up both of those 2013 and subsequent problems in 2014 to poor managing, elevation before they were ready ... and nobody behind them helping them on offense.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little late getting into baseball this year and haven't really paid as much attention to SP as I would like to. Any early projections on rotation and lineup? Also, I haven't seen Fielder take an AB yet, how does he look?

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look forward to Alfaro's arrival on his timetable not pushed and hyped like the last C prospect.
The last several catching prospects we have had have not been the second best catching prospects in all of baseball though. Since Pudge none of our catching prospects have come close to what Alfaro is.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Ranger related but thought you might enjoy. Dodger stadium 1976, two idiots ran on to the field and tried to burn the American flag. Right fielder Rick Monday of the Cubs raced in, snatched the flag and saved it. The two morons were not so fortunate. Was a good day for baseball.:yes:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little late getting into baseball this year and haven't really paid as much attention to SP as I would like to. Any early projections on rotation and lineup? Also, I haven't seen Fielder take an AB yet, how does he look?

Prince is looking good. Getting lift on the ball again and hitting some scorchers. He and Beltre's timing are just a touch off, but should be good to go by opening day. My projections are as follows.

CF: Martin
SS: Andrus
RF: Choo
3B: Beltre
1B: Fielder
DH: Moreland
C: Chirinos
LF: Rua
2b: Odor

Could possibly slide Rua in behind Fielder and move every one down a slot

Holland
Gallardo
Lewis
Detweiler
Martinez

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep your eye on Rua and Odor. Going to be exciting to watch these two.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep your eye on Rua and Odor. Going to be exciting to watch these two.

I started following Rua at Hickory and Odor at Myrtle Beach but some thought Rua was a lost cause because of his age at the time even though he was step for step with Gallo in HRs and RBIs that year. Both have the power potential. I never knew a thing about Smolinski other than his average stats in the minors until watching him play last year. Do not remember his arm being an issue last year so will have to watch that.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince is looking good. Getting lift on the ball again and hitting some scorchers. He and Beltre's timing are just a touch off, but should be good to go by opening day. My projections are as follows.

CF: Martin
SS: Andrus
RF: Choo
3B: Beltre
1B: Fielder
DH: Moreland
C: Chirinos
LF: Rua
2b: Odor

Could possibly slide Rua in behind Fielder and move every one down a slot

Holland
Gallardo
Lewis
Detweiler
Martinez

I agree with this, Moreland hopefully gets his act together/stops getting hurt

But I think we have some talent to swap into that spot if need be, I don't think it will be a huge issue, but yeah one more hiccup for Moreland and I'm done

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some predictions that seem to mesh with the views that have been posted here. A few bullpen choices that are debatable, but otherwise I think this is how they'll break camp.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would rather see Bonilla & Mendez than Ohlendorf & Klein

I'm ok with Puguero (sp.) getting a shot for right now and allowing Smolinski to play regularly in AAA

I'm torn on this. I'd like to think Peguero has it together finally and would help the team, but fact is, he'd be sitting on the bench a lot and that is not what he needs. He may end up being a late bloomer like Cruz, but I'm inclined to feel like he should be playing every day in AAA and proving he deserves a shot. I just don't think Smolinski's ceiling is that high, and frankly I think he is a bench OF if he's going to have a major league career. Truth is, Peguero's ceiling is higher than Smolinski's and that should be taken into account when deciding who is going where. Peguero needs to be hitting every day waiting for the opportunity to get called up.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers pitcher Matt Harrison: I feel like a kid again

Rangers pitcher Matt Harrison cleared the biggest hurdle to him getting back on the mound Monday. Harrison underwent spinal fusion surgery last year, but after throwing off the mound Monday, Harrison was as giddy as can be, reports the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

"I felt like a little kid again out there, like it was my first little league game or something," said Harrison. "Just the nerves of doing it again, it has been a 11 months. It almost felt like a day when I start a game, those nerves, the butterflies in the stomach, the good ones, not being able to eat as much that day. It's fun again."

Harrison is scheduled to throw off the mound again Thursday and increase his pitch total.

"When I get up to 30 to 40 pitches I'll start adding some [different] pitches," he said. "Right now I’m just getting my fastball location."

Would be like playing with house money to get Matt back later in the year

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Ross Ohlendorf (groin) scheduled to pitch Thursday

Rangers pitcher Ross Ohlendorf is scheduled to make an appearance in a spring game on Thursday, according to MLB.com.

Ohlendorf has not pitched since March 15 with tightness in his right groin. Manager Jeff Banister revealed that Ohlendorf is unlikely to crack the rotation, but still has a shot to win a spot in the bullpen.

Ross pitched well making a couple starts before injuring the groin. I would like to see him start in RR and be the first call up if needed due to injury or someone's struggles. Keep him stretched out if he does well in another ST game vs. sending him to the BP. I think we have BP pieces but we all know we will need plenty of starting pitching available.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers pitcher Keone Kela handles another test in outing Monday

Rangers pitching prospect Keone Kela was able to work through another difficult situation Monday. Kela worked around an opening walk and retired the final two batters of the inning.

"He was able to handle the situation, to slow himself down and power his fastball through the strike zone," manager Jeff Banister said. "The way he used his fastball was pretty impressive."

He is the first Rangers pitcher to throw on consecutive days this spring.

Does Kela make the club?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers expecting big season from shortstop Elvis Andrus

The Rangers are invested in shortstop Elvis Andrus. The veteran is signed through 2022 and after the struggles of last year, general manager Jon Daniels wants to see him move forward, reports MLB.com.

"We invested in him because we thought he was arrow-up. We've been encouraged this winter and this spring by the feeling that he's kind of recommitted, after last year being below his standards.

"We don't see why he can't be one of the best defensive players and baserunners in the game. He controls the bat, he can get on base, do some different things. I don't expect him to hit for power, but I think he can be an impactful player. He's a winning player."

Andrus, a defensive-minded player, was told by manager Jeff Bannister he should be able to win a Gold Glove.

"I'm working on it," Andrus said. "It's easy to say. But you have to go out there and be consistent, especially on routine ground balls. That's one of the things I'm working on right now. I know that if I can make that happen, I would have a chance to win."

Andrus will need to have a solid season and help mentor Roogie. Work on the routine throws EA, along with this ground balls