• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of Odor hitting 9th. Have a guy there that can hurt you before turning the order over. However that puts two lefties back to back if martin is leading off.

Martin
Andrus
Choo
Beltre
Fielder
Moreland/Ludwick???
Rua
Odor
Chirinos

i'd flip-flop Rua & Moreland and Odor & Chirinos

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd flip-flop Rua & Moreland and Odor & Chirinos

I'm not ready to put Rua that high in the order. Mitch hasn't fulfilled his potential, but he's still dangerous enough to be in the 6 hole. Ludwick may also show something that gives him some time as dh. If Rua shows he can handle it, I'd consider moving him up to 6th.

The reason I've got Chirinos 9th is to avoid back to back lefties.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to put Rua that high in the order. Mitch hasn't fulfilled his potential, but he's still dangerous enough to be in the 6 hole. Ludwick may also show something that gives him some time as dh. If Rua shows he can handle it, I'd consider moving him up to 6th.

That's a decent point.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we make too big of a deal about having back to back lefties in the lineup sometimes?

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we make too big of a deal about having back to back lefties in the lineup sometimes?

Not really. The league is far too specialized these days. I would rather force a team to stretch a lefty to get out a RHB in between two lefties than give the other team a shot at a free out with back to back LHB in the order.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The league is far too specialized these days. I would rather force a team to stretch a lefty to get out a RHB in between two lefties than give the other team a shot at a free out with back to back LHB in the order.

Is it a given that there will be a free out though? If the manager has two lefties available won't they just go left, righty, lefty in a crucial situation? Are you mainly concerned with a late inning situation? Wouldn't a good RH pinch hitter combat some of that late in the game? I am just wondering if it is worth changing your lineup to combat one late inning matchup that may or may not occur and that may not even be that unfavorable depending on the lefty coming in to pitch for the opposition.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it a given that there will be a free out though? If the manager has two lefties available won't they just go left, righty, lefty in a crucial situation? Are you mainly concerned with a late inning situation? Wouldn't a good RH pinch hitter combat some of that late in the game? I am just wondering if it is worth changing your lineup to combat one late inning matchup that may or may not occur and that may not even be that unfavorable depending on the lefty coming in to pitch for the opposition.

Not really changing the lineup. Just being mindful of the construction. Texas is going to have 5 lefties in the lineup quite a bit, so it's gonna happen regardless.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really changing the lineup. Just being mindful of the construction. Texas is going to have 5 lefties in the lineup quite a bit, so it's gonna happen regardless.
I don't have any problems being mindful of it. If everything else is equal or even close to equal then not putting the leftys together makes sense. In the situation above though I might just as soon hit Odor right before Martin to get a more speedy runner on the bases ahead of Martin.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have any problems being mindful of it. If everything else is equal or even close to equal then not putting the leftys together makes sense. In the situation above though I might just as soon hit Odor right before Martin to get a more speedy runner on the bases ahead of Martin.

Works for me. Catchers are usually path clodders.

That's why I like Leo leading off. He's fast and can score from first on most doubles and from second on most singles. Elvis might not be fast to first base, but he's one of those threats after he picks up full speed. Hopefully they can both get on for Choo Fielder and Beltre to pick up easy RBI. We know both are gonna steal.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not much to get excited about in today's Spring training game. Martin had a hard hit out, and is seeing pitches, but still isn't there yet. Fielder had a nice single he took to left Field. Andrus flashed a little power with a big double to left center. The Rangers had some hard hit outs.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, not much to get excited about in today's Spring training game. Martin had a hard hit out, and is seeing pitches, but still isn't there yet. Fielder had a nice single he took to left Field. Andrus flashed a little power with a big double to left center. The Rangers had some hard hit outs.

better news is that Holland had a good Spring debut. Perfect inning, got it in under the pitch count limit, and the fastball reached 94.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better news is that Holland had a good Spring debut. Perfect inning, got it in under the pitch count limit, and the fastball reached 94.
Sweet sounds to the ears. If he stays healthy, look for him to have a strong year.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So that would be Leonys, Elvis, Choo, Fielder, Beltre, Moreland, Rua, Chirinos, Odor?

TEX appears to be messing with idea of #3 being DH w/Beltre cleanup protected by Fielder and Fielder protected by Choo. Dunno. That may be over thinking it.

I am still better with Odor at #9 rather than #8 even though that puts two LH hitters back to back w/Martin leading off. RHP constitute over 2/3 of the league roster so more chance that they will both face RHP. If the threat of Odor and Martin cause a pitching switch to a LHP ... well that leaves them only 1 LHP left in the bullpen to work around Prince, Moreland and Choo. When there are five LH hitters in the batting order ... good chance there will be two of them back to back at some place in the game. I don't envy teams that have only one effective LHRP.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you are probably right on both points but i'm tired of waiting om Moreland to fulfill his potential and Rua will reach his before Moreland does

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I want him to get as many ABs as he can. I would love for him to be a 2 hole hitter one day.

Hadn't thought of that ... but when I read your post I automatically thought of MY. And would be spectacular if Rua becomes an MY kind of hitter. There isn't anyone else on the roster that fits MY's mold like Rua might.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hadn't thought of that ... but when I read your post I automatically thought of MY. And would be spectacular if Rua becomes an MY kind of hitter. There isn't anyone else on the roster that fits MY's mold like Rua might.

MY should get to work with guys like Rua. MY had an amazing contact rate in general, but his contact rate in the strike zone was top notch. Was a shame when he lost his bat speed, because that contact rate turned him into a DP machine.