• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't put the positions in the same order Thad did because I didn't get that the order he said them in was important to Thad. He was on Norm's show first and then on 103.3 a few hours later. Actually what he said didn't surprise me as much that he actually said it.

Well it shocks me.

Don't recall anyone within the organization, media, and even most on here being this optimistic toward his movement up the ladder.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really hoping you misunderstood, Bennie. Because if you didn't, that makes me nervous.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Macmahon tweeted this after the interview.

Rangers assistant GM Thad Levine on Joey Gallo (via @KESN1033): "It sure feels like he's going to contribute to the 2015 Texas Rangers."

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Macmahon tweeted this after the interview.

Rangers assistant GM Thad Levine on Joey Gallo (via @KESN1033): "It sure feels like he's going to contribute to the 2015 Texas Rangers."

If it sounded like I was questioning what you heard, I wasn't.

However, this borders on "ill-responsibility" from Levine to me. WTF Thad? Is Levine going all Greenburg on us or what?

This kid is young and it sure seems obvious to most within the FO, Gallo needs, more than anything, a little breathing room (i.e. time) to develop.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I didn't put the positions in the same order Thad did because I didn't get that the order he said them in was important to Thad. He was on Norm's show first and then on 103.3 a few hours later. Actually what he said didn't surprise me as much that he actually said it.

Thanks. Interesting he was on Norm first and then went beyond that with ESPN. Norm is going to chew him out for "Why do you break news with my competitor after leaving my show when we had the same topic?"

And I agree with you ... not at surprised there is back office thinking ... but very un-TEX like for a JD Front Office to say anything they don't have to about next week let alone mid season.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Interesting he was on Norm first and then went beyond that with ESPN. Norm is going to chew him out for "Why do you break news with my competitor after leaving my show when we had the same topic?"

And I agree with you ... not at surprised there is back office thinking ... but very un-TEX like for a JD Front Office to say anything they don't have to about next week let alone mid season.

First, I agree with you completely on how Norm will/should respond. I agree with this thought pattern too.

Second, I totally disagree with "back-office-thinking." Why would anyone within the organization realistically expect this kid to be contributing to our team mid season? Makes no sense at all to me.

Gallo has like what, 150 AB in AA and has struggled with K's, strike recognition, etc and yet he's "expected" to be here in Arlington by June/July?

Anyone remember David Clyde?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I agree with you completely on how Norm will/should respond. I agree with this thought pattern too.

Second, I totally disagree with "back-office-thinking." Why would anyone within the organization realistically expect this kid to be contributing to our team mid season? Makes no sense at all to me.

Gallo has like what, 150 AB in AA and has struggled with K's, strike recognition, etc and yet he's "expected" to be here in Arlington by June/July?

Yes I remember David Clyde and you know how that turned out.:rolleyes2:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the club realizes something about Gallo that makes them very encouraged. He came to camp last year improved from the end of the following season because of his work with Giambi and others in the prior offseason. Maybe he had the same kind of improvement this offseason as well. He has 3 strike outs in 14 AB this spring so far against better pitching overall than he faced last year in the minors. He has the same number of walks. That strike out ratio would have given him 94 strike outs last season based on the number of at bats he got last season. That is opposed to the 179 he actually got last year. I know that is a very small sample size, but what if the team sees the difference in his approach that is causing that and that has convinced them to be much more optimistic.

I have no problem with them bringing him up in late July if they think he is ready. I had thought before he might not need more than another half season anyway if, and this has always been a big if, he continued to show the kind of improvement he had shown to that point.

I don't think anything is written in stone though. We should have a good idea by mid-may how he is doing and if he has improved enough to force his way up by mid-season or not.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it sounded like I was questioning what you heard, I wasn't.

However, this borders on "ill-responsibility" from Levine to me. WTF Thad? Is Levine going all Greenburg on us or what?

This kid is young and it sure seems obvious to most within the FO, Gallo needs, more than anything, a little breathing room (i.e. time) to develop.

No, I didn't take it that way at all. I was hoping to get a link to the actual interview, but it wasn't up yet.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is very much different than the David Clyde situation. Gallo isn't coming direct from HS to the majors.

If you are going to compare him to anyone from that era then compare him to Sundberg who only had 301 PA in the minors before coming up and Hargrove who only had 836 PA in the minors before coming up. Burroughs had about 1400 before coming up. Gallo should have close to 1600 PA if he stays in the minors through June.

Pudge had 997 PA before coming up. Sierra only had about 1540. Ian only had about 1400. Beltre only got about 1400 himself. Then there is always Inky.

Last edited:

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Farrell is making me laugh my ass off.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the club realizes something about Gallo that makes them very encouraged. He came to camp last year improved from the end of the following season because of his work with Giambi and others in the prior offseason. Maybe he had the same kind of improvement this offseason as well. He has 3 strike outs in 14 AB this spring so far against better pitching overall than he faced last year in the minors. He has the same number of walks. That strike out ratio would have given him 94 strike outs last season based on the number of at bats he got last season. That is opposed to the 179 he actually got last year. I know that is a very small sample size, but what if the team sees the difference in his approach that is causing that and that has convinced them to be much more optimistic.

I have no problem with them bringing him up in late July if they think he is ready. I had thought before he might not need more than another half season anyway if, and this has always been a big if, he continued to show the kind of improvement he had shown to that point.

I don't think anything is written in stone though. We should have a good idea by mid-may how he is doing and if he has improved enough to force his way up by mid-season or not.

Obviously he doesn't come up if not ready ... and he will most likely be assigned to Frisco based on normal timing. But wouldn't it be more prudent to let him see ML pitching at AAA first ... as well as figure out which glove to go buy and break in?

Force his way up? Only position he has had any real work at to this point is 3B. Gallo 'forcing' Beltre to move isn't justified like Elvis bumping MY over to 3b. Why start his ML service clock prematurely?

Makes no sense and has nothing but downside potential by being so prematurely getting any spin.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously he doesn't come up if not ready ... and he will most likely be assigned to Frisco based on normal timing. But wouldn't it be more prudent to let him see ML pitching at AAA first ... as well as figure out which glove to go buy and break in?

Force his way up? Only position he has had any real work at to this point is 3B. Gallo 'forcing' Beltre to move isn't justified like Elvis bumping MY over to 3b. Why start his ML service clock prematurely?

Makes no sense and has nothing but downside potential by being so prematurely getting any spin.

The Rangers have never concerned themselves with player's "clocks." They bring guys up when they think they are ready.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will Farrell is making me laugh my ass off.

"They say nothing's more American than grabbing a hot dog, heading to the ballpark and watching 9 guys from the Dominican Republic make magic on the field."

That's when I lost it. :pound:

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, Ferrell actually faced a batter and retired him! Loved his reaction when Mattingly came out to remove him.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that we didnt already know this....butttt its official.