• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Matt Harrison, Martin Perez making strides

Injured Rangers pitchers Matt Harrison and Martin Perez are working their way back to health, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Harrison (back) will long toss from 200 feet on Friday before stepping on half-mound Sunday to throw around 15 pitches. Perez (elbow), who is on the 60-day DL, has been throwing off a half-mound and is ready to progress to a full mound, while only throwing fastballs.

Rangers starting pitcher Derek Holland (shoulder) is scheduled to start a "B" game Saturday, per The Dallas Morning News. He will throw one inning.

Some good news

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chirinos is a very interesting study that at least in my mind validates the perspective that the tools of a middle infielder translate best to success anywhere on the diamond and coupled with the arm of a left side infielder you can see what CHC was doing when they moved him to catcher.

Robinson Chirinos Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Here is Chirinos' minor league fielding numbers just to show the amount of time spent in the middle ... of his 970 games he was at 2b for 402, SS for 152, 3b for 119 (673/970 = 69%). You have to assume with those numbers of games at each of those positions that he was the best option and the best potential CHC had to put out there. He caught only 284 of those 970 games (29%) so you are right ... he's not as worn out as he would have been if he had been a catcher from the beginning.

His career MiLB BA is .260 which puts him about average for a catcher ... but he has the fielding talents of a middle infielder ... and the arm of a SS or 3bman. It should be no surprise that he performed well in 2014. And now he has the maturity of a 30 year old with a catcher age of 25 or 26. With continued success he might be able to continue for another 4 - 5 years. Amazing find ... too bad Robinson Chirinos is not five years younger.

Given the talent and return that TEX has gotten from or after they played for CHC (Harden, Soto, Dempster, Garza) ... Chirinos may have the most value and impact. (Now somone is going to figure out the WAR impact of each to this point.)

I wonder in the future when he isn't the starting catcher if the Rangers will allow him to be a super utility type guy and be able to carry 3 catchers. In fact, if Giminez was that third catcher he also could play all four corner position as a backup as well. That would give us a lot of versatility on the bench.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers' Matt Harrison, Martin Perez making strides

Injured Rangers pitchers Matt Harrison and Martin Perez are working their way back to health, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Harrison (back) will long toss from 200 feet on Friday before stepping on half-mound Sunday to throw around 15 pitches. Perez (elbow), who is on the 60-day DL, has been throwing off a half-mound and is ready to progress to a full mound, while only throwing fastballs.

Rangers starting pitcher Derek Holland (shoulder) is scheduled to start a "B" game Saturday, per The Dallas Morning News. He will throw one inning.

Some good news

We definitely could use some good news.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chirinos is a very interesting study that at least in my mind validates the perspective that the tools of a middle infielder translate best to success anywhere on the diamond and coupled with the arm of a left side infielder you can see what CHC was doing when they moved him to catcher.

Robinson Chirinos Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Here is Chirinos' minor league fielding numbers just to show the amount of time spent in the middle ... of his 970 games he was at 2b for 402, SS for 152, 3b for 119 (673/970 = 69%). You have to assume with those numbers of games at each of those positions that he was the best option and the best potential CHC had to put out there. He caught only 284 of those 970 games (29%) so you are right ... he's not as worn out as he would have been if he had been a catcher from the beginning.

His career MiLB BA is .260 which puts him about average for a catcher ... but he has the fielding talents of a middle infielder ... and the arm of a SS or 3bman. It should be no surprise that he performed well in 2014. And now he has the maturity of a 30 year old with a catcher age of 25 or 26. With continued success he might be able to continue for another 4 - 5 years. Amazing find ... too bad Robinson Chirinos is not five years younger.

Given the talent and return that TEX has gotten from or after they played for CHC (Harden, Soto, Dempster, Garza) ... Chirinos may have the most value and impact. (Now somone is going to figure out the WAR impact of each to this point.)

It does appear we're on the same page here young man.

Let's go Rangers.......

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we take Harrison and his efforts seriously? Admittedly, I thought he should've been done after his latest setback. I hope for the best for him tho, I just wouldn't risk permanent damage or difficulty walking for the rest of my life for baseball or any sport.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we take Harrison and his efforts seriously? Admittedly, I thought he should've been done after his latest setback. I hope for the best for him tho, I just wouldn't risk permanent damage or difficulty walking for the rest of my life for baseball or any sport.

Harrison comes off like a really intense guy. If there's a chance he can pitch again, I'm betting he gives it as much as he possibly can to make that happen.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison comes off like a really intense guy. If there's a chance he can pitch again, I'm betting he gives it as much as he possibly can to make that happen.

Agree. And why wouldn't he?

He's got a mint in the bank, is a stand-up kind of guy, and knows we all only go around once. Why not give it as much as you can and if it doesn't work out, then it wasn't due to max effort.

I'm counting on him for nothing. But hoping for a lot.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. And why wouldn't he?

He's got a mint in the bank, is a stand-up kind of guy, and knows we all only go around once. Why not give it as much as you can and if it doesn't work out, then it wasn't due to max effort.

Well, like Nightcrawler said, I believe at one point it was mentioned that there was a risk of permanent damage being done.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, like Nightcrawler said, I believe at one point it was mentioned that there was a risk of permanent damage being done.

Not sure if he was told by doctors, or just mentioned it as he was scared before/after the last surgery but he said he would give up baseball before risking not ever walking again. This came from Matt I am pretty sure. Hope he finds success in baseball again somehow, if it is as a player or another fashion.

True Rangers Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if he was told by doctors, or just mentioned it as he was scared before/after the last surgery but he said he would give up baseball before risking not ever walking again. This came from Matt I am pretty sure. Hope he finds success in baseball again somehow, if it is as a player or another fashion.

Ah, well there you go.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Ranger great Chris Young was on with BaDD radio little while ago. Always really liked that dude and wish Texas showed more interest in him. I hope he really does well with KC this season and wish him well. Good dude.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Ranger great Chris Young was on with BaDD radio little while ago. Always really liked that dude and wish Texas showed more interest in him. I hope he really does well with KC this season and wish him well. Good dude.

He's gonna be a BP guy for KC, hope that extends his career and adds to his success

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard Thad Levine on the radio today on 103.3 and he talked about Gallo in the most candid way that I have heard someone from the front office talk about him. He said they expect Gallo to come up sometime this season and it was clear he wasn't talking about as a September call up. I have been kind of thinking late July or early August myself, but I have never heard someone from the team come close to saying something like that. He also mentioned that he thought Gallo could come up and play a corner OF spot, 1B, or 3B if needed.