• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His case has to go down in baseball history as one of the most bizarre mysteries of all time. He sucks for several years and they say that he's got too good of an arm and "potential" stuff to let go. Ok, I can kind of buy that. But he's now been a portrait of complete ineptitude for so many years now that nobody can explain why the Rangers keep bringing him back.

We used to joke that he had blackmail material on JD. I'm really starting to wonder if it's not necessarily a joke after all at this point.

I think we have all been here on this unending Kirkman story that has been going on since basically 2010.

In May 2010 Derek Holland made three sorta almost quality starts ... mopped up the last inning of a loss to KCR and after lasting only an inning against MIN went on the DL. After rehab in the Arizona League he went to OKC putting up 11GS with a 1.87ERA and 1.085WHIP in 62.1IP ... and then was reactivated to TEX in mid August. Stellar turn around.

While those Holland numbers are great at the very same time at OKC Michael Kirkman had 22GS, 131IP, 3.09ERA and 1.397ERA. He was the second winningest pitcher in the PCL with a 13-3 record and his 130SO was third best after he led most of the season in that category going into the end of August.

At the time Holland was recalled in mid August 2010 there was both here (or the old board) debate as to who ought to be brought up. The entire time Kirkman was healthy, mowiing down batters and racking up points as to why he should have been on the ML roster early in 2010 rather than poor Derek Holland who kept getting bounced back and forth by the old field manager from relief to starting to relief.

That point was Michael Kirkman's high point as a TEX pitcher ... 2010 in OKC. This is almost as long as his career has been ... but reason why TEX seems to keep holding on and holding on is 1) they had options up until last year and 2) he was lights out in 2010. Seems like a decade ago.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the recap from the AP re: today's Ranger game. Make note of the "bold" statements please.

Rangers get to Rodon, tie White Sox 4-4

Associated Press
GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Prince Fielder had an RBI single and scored a run in Texas' three-run first inning, and the Rangers and Chicago White Sox played to a 4-4 tie Wednesday.

Fielder, who is returning from a back injury that kept him out most of last season, was in the middle of the early offensive burst against Chicago starter Carlos Rodon.

The third overall pick in last June's draft, Rodon went 2 1/3 innings and gave up five hits, four of them in the first inning.

The White Sox tied it twice, the final time in the eighth inning on back-to-back doubles by Andy Wilkins and Andy LaRoche.

Texas starter Alec Asher went two innings, giving up a run on two hits and a hit batter.

With Yu Darvish likely headed for elbow surgery, Yovani Gallardo provided a bright spot for the Texas rotation. The newcomer pitched four innings in a morning "B" game against the White Sox, giving up just one hit and no walks. Rangers manager Jeff Banister said he is in the mix to replace Darvish as the team's opening-day starter.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, between Gallardo and Holland it doesn't really matter who starts. Gallardo has started 5 opening days in a row though so he knows how to handle it if they decide to go with him. That might give him a slight edge.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, between Gallardo and Holland it doesn't really matter who starts. Gallardo has started 5 opening days in a row though so he knows how to handle it if they decide to go with him. That might give him a slight edge.

They're saying holland won't be ready for the series in Oakland but could start the home opener.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have all been here on this unending Kirkman story that has been going on since basically 2010.

In May 2010 Derek Holland made three sorta almost quality starts ... mopped up the last inning of a loss to KCR and after lasting only an inning against MIN went on the DL. After rehab in the Arizona League he went to OKC putting up 11GS with a 1.87ERA and 1.085WHIP in 62.1IP ... and then was reactivated to TEX in mid August. Stellar turn around.

While those Holland numbers are great at the very same time at OKC Michael Kirkman had 22GS, 131IP, 3.09ERA and 1.397ERA. He was the second winningest pitcher in the PCL with a 13-3 record and his 130SO was third best after he led most of the season in that category going into the end of August.

At the time Holland was recalled in mid August 2010 there was both here (or the old board) debate as to who ought to be brought up. The entire time Kirkman was healthy, mowiing down batters and racking up points as to why he should have been on the ML roster early in 2010 rather than poor Derek Holland who kept getting bounced back and forth by the old field manager from relief to starting to relief.

That point was Michael Kirkman's high point as a TEX pitcher ... 2010 in OKC. This is almost as long as his career has been ... but reason why TEX seems to keep holding on and holding on is 1) they had options up until last year and 2) he was lights out in 2010. Seems like a decade ago.

The sad thing is that 2010 season was his 6th in the organization. 5 seasons later he is still here. This will be his 11th season in the organization. I believe we went through this a few weeks back and found out that only about 7 or 8 players in the history of the franchise have put in more consecutive years in our organization than Kirkman's 11 should he remain in the organization this year.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The sad thing is that 2010 season was his 6th in the organization. 5 seasons later he is still here. This will be his 11th season in the organization. I believe we went through this a few weeks back and found out that only about 7 or 8 players in the history of the franchise have put in more consecutive years in our organization than Kirkman's 11 should he remain in the organization this year.

Just went back and reviewed Kirkman's early years in the minors ... lots of repeats at every step except AA. You are right ... this is season 11. He's been in the TEX organization longer than JD!

Michael Kirkman Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Was reminded that this was during the era when Clinton (does everyone remember Clinton?). TEX used Spokane for Low A Short Season then to Clinton for A and then to Bakersfield for High A. He went back and forth year after year. Only step he moved through on time was AA.

Look --- he's 28 years old. He's not on the 40-man. No doubt if he were a RHP he would have been gone when Scooter left ... but he's a LHP ... and LHP as long as they can get up in the morning are kept around.

Maybe he's like Chirinos? He didn't make it until he was 29 either. Who knows?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't realize Chirinos was that old.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just went back and reviewed Kirkman's early years in the minors ... lots of repeats at every step except AA. You are right ... this is season 11. He's been in the TEX organization longer than JD!

Michael Kirkman Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Was reminded that this was during the era when Clinton (does everyone remember Clinton?). TEX used Spokane for Low A Short Season then to Clinton for A and then to Bakersfield for High A. He went back and forth year after year. Only step he moved through on time was AA.

Look --- he's 28 years old. He's not on the 40-man. No doubt if he were a RHP he would have been gone when Scooter left ... but he's a LHP ... and LHP as long as they can get up in the morning are kept around.

Maybe he's like Chirinos? He didn't make it until he was 29 either. Who knows?

Yes, but Chirinos didn't stay in one organization all of that time. He also switched to catcher about half way through. He has been around a long time. This will be his 15th year in professional ball. I would have no problem with Kirkman being in baseball for 11 years, but I just don't think he needed to spend it all here. lol Now I am kind of pulling for him to stay in our minor league system for a few more years and have the longest consecutive years stint of anyone in the Rangers organization. He has come this far he might as well finish the punchline.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banister believes Andrus' defense can be golden | texasrangers.com

"When I see Elvis, his skill set defensively, I think he has a chance to win a Gold Glove [Award]," Banister said. "That's his skill set. How he stays focused all year long and the determination to be that type of player, part of my job is to help him continue and to push and help him want that for himself, [and to] help motivate him when it's tough."

"Let's look for elite status, gold-standard status, and be the type of player that other players strive to be like," Banister said.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banister believes Andrus' defense can be golden | texasrangers.com

"When I see Elvis, his skill set defensively, I think he has a chance to win a Gold Glove [Award]," Banister said. "That's his skill set. How he stays focused all year long and the determination to be that type of player, part of my job is to help him continue and to push and help him want that for himself, [and to] help motivate him when it's tough."

"Let's look for elite status, gold-standard status, and be the type of player that other players strive to be like," Banister said.

Jeff you better get Elvis to start working on the routine throws now

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He will be 31 in June.

When Alfaro is ready I think Chirinos will be one of our best backup catchers in some time.

I like Alfaro's chances ... but can I get a quick show of hands of all those who wake up at 2am from a nightmare ... thinking about Alfaro being a Can't Miss Prospect ... and then remembering how TEX a very short time ago had the 3 top catching prospects in baseball in Salty, Teagarden and Mad Max?

And how from the time he was drafted Smoak was the ultimate solution for Texeira's departure? Chris Davis was a transplant from 3b ... a stop gap ... Smoak was a Can't Miss ... and anyone who doubted that was UnAmerican.

So ... until he's here ... we need to realize we have not had stability at C since Pudge left. Alfaro hopefully is finally the one. Just please don't give him Teagarden's number or we are jinxed.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Alfaro's chances ... but can I get a quick show of hands of all those who wake up at 2am from a nightmare ... thinking about Alfaro being a Can't Miss Prospect ... and then remembering how TEX a very short time ago had the 3 top catching prospects in baseball in Salty, Teagarden and Mad Max?

And how from the time he was drafted Smoak was the ultimate solution for Texeira's departure? Chris Davis was a transplant from 3b ... a stop gap ... Smoak was a Can't Miss ... and anyone who doubted that was UnAmerican.

So ... until he's here ... we need to realize we have not had stability at C since Pudge left. Alfaro hopefully is finally the one. Just please don't give him Teagarden's number or we are jinxed.
The good thing is I never read anything about those other three catchers like I have read about Alfaro. I believe most consider Alfaro the best or second best catching prospect in all of baseball.

I believe Gallo, Chi Chi and Alfaro are all as close to can't miss as you can get. I think Thompson and Mazara are not far behind. I never thought that about those catchers and I was never a fan of Smoak.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6. Texas Rangers

Games against teams that had records over .500 in 2014: 26 of their first 38 games.
Home/away: 19 of their first 38 are at home.
Noteworthy: The Rangers are coming off a disastrous season in which they were overrun by injuries, and they will be put to the test early in a big way, with 19 of their first 24 games against either the Angels, A’s or Mariners. We may know early if Texas will rebound in 2015.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norm had Thad Levine on today in his last segment, and it was a delightful 15 minutes or so of chatting about goals and philosophies.

This guy may become a real good GM one day.

SIDEBAR.........since rev was good enough to get the "off season thread" going, I suggest rev do our first "in-season thread" for 2015.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fortunately though, most of his years where spent as an INF and thus his wear-and-tear shouldn't be near as significant as most catchers of his age.

Chirinos is a very interesting study that at least in my mind validates the perspective that the tools of a middle infielder translate best to success anywhere on the diamond and coupled with the arm of a left side infielder you can see what CHC was doing when they moved him to catcher.

Robinson Chirinos Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

Here is Chirinos' minor league fielding numbers just to show the amount of time spent in the middle ... of his 970 games he was at 2b for 402, SS for 152, 3b for 119 (673/970 = 69%). You have to assume with those numbers of games at each of those positions that he was the best option and the best potential CHC had to put out there. He caught only 284 of those 970 games (29%) so you are right ... he's not as worn out as he would have been if he had been a catcher from the beginning.

His career MiLB BA is .260 which puts him about average for a catcher ... but he has the fielding talents of a middle infielder ... and the arm of a SS or 3bman. It should be no surprise that he performed well in 2014. And now he has the maturity of a 30 year old with a catcher age of 25 or 26. With continued success he might be able to continue for another 4 - 5 years. Amazing find ... too bad Robinson Chirinos is not five years younger.

Given the talent and return that TEX has gotten from or after they played for CHC (Harden, Soto, Dempster, Garza) ... Chirinos may have the most value and impact. (Now somone is going to figure out the WAR impact of each to this point.)