• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Offseason

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Bowden on our Rangers for 2015.

4. Texas Rangers, 76.5 wins

The win totals for Texas from 2008-13: 79, 87, 90, 96, 93, and 91. But in 2014, they were MLB’s Murphy’s Law team, with just about everyone getting hurt and just about everything going wrong. Now Prince Fielder looks healthy, and he’s got a chip on his shoulder, and so does Elvis Andrus, who was out of shape at the outset of camp last spring and apparently is doing well. Shin-Soo Choo is good to go, and Yu Darvish -- who was basically shut down late last season to save bullets for 2015 -- is ready to lead a rotation that has to be better than 2014, when 15 different pitchers made starts. Derek Holland is healthy, Yovani Gallardo and Ross Detwiler were added in an offseason deal, and new manager Jeff Banister has seemingly brought a new energy to the place.

I wouldn’t pick the Rangers for a playoff spot, and the AL West is a division of depth, with the Mariners improved, the Angels coming off a division championship, and Oakland recast but still dangerous. But 77 wins -- that’s a number that seems well within the reach of Texas.

I guess this is "supposed to be" a back-handed compliment of some sort. Not to me though.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who here really thinks Bannister is going to do well? I don't know much about the guy, but I wanted Bogar.

I have no idea how he will manage. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as I have just about every other manager we have had. He has to be an improvement over Wash.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He could very well wind up in the pen. If that is because another pitcher shows he deserves to be in the rotation instead of Detwiler then that will be a good thing to me. I don't have a problem with Detwiler in the rotation, but if someone proves they are better than him then we should be even better off.

... need a minimum of 10 ML-ready SPs @ ML+AAA when you break camp. Does not mean split 5 and 5 if you have someone you can't assign to AAA and who can contribute in relief. A veteran who can work both roles is gold.

Far better that than in the past when management put young SPs in the bullpen in a role they have never done rather than giving them regular starts at AAA. Same mentality had Profar playing all over the field plus DHing and Craig Gentry sitting the bench so David Murphy could stink up the park. Glad those days are past.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that since the Rangers made Jamey Wright a reliever that he leads MLB in relief innings.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mean to sound accusatory here, but "wanting Bogar" comes off to me like a bandwagon fan statement, akin to people who think the Rangers should have kept running as many pieces of the 2011 lineup out there for as long as possible. The Rangers had some success while Bogar was interim manager, but we have no idea how much of that actually had to do with Bogar. It could have been that the team was just happy to see Wash gone. It could have been a random mental shift in the clubhouse. Coulda been just random baseball luck. We don't know for certain.

But right now, I really want Bannister to succeed, beyond the normal die-hard Rangers fandom. I've been thoroughly impressed with the guy and he was going to get his shot somewhere, and I'm glad it's here.

Nobody truly knows how Bannister will perform. He's an unproven commodity. My reasoning for wanting Bogar is the fact that the kids seemed to really respond to the guy. He had nothing to work with except for mainly an Adrian Beltre, everyone else who is noteworthy was hurt. I just wanted to see what the guy could do over the full duration of a season with some good players to work with ( I expect Fielder, Choo, Darvish, and Holland to perform way better than they did last season)

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team could stay healthy for the season, I could see them getting into the playoffs. How could any team battle through the injuries they had last year? I think changing manager's will help put last year behind and give them a fresh start as well. Wash did a good job overall, but it was past time IMO

Health should be the biggest factor in this team improving but I believe a new manager and fresh start will play a close second fiddle to the success of the 2015 team.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea how he will manage. I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt as I have just about every other manager we have had. He has to be an improvement over Wash.

Are you sure you want to go so far out there on that limb Bennie? :pound:

Who wouldn't be better than RW is my question?

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Bowden on our Rangers for 2015.

4. Texas Rangers, 76.5 wins

The win totals for Texas from 2008-13: 79, 87, 90, 96, 93, and 91. But in 2014, they were MLB’s Murphy’s Law team, with just about everyone getting hurt and just about everything going wrong. Now Prince Fielder looks healthy, and he’s got a chip on his shoulder, and so does Elvis Andrus, who was out of shape at the outset of camp last spring and apparently is doing well. Shin-Soo Choo is good to go, and Yu Darvish -- who was basically shut down late last season to save bullets for 2015 -- is ready to lead a rotation that has to be better than 2014, when 15 different pitchers made starts. Derek Holland is healthy, Yovani Gallardo and Ross Detwiler were added in an offseason deal, and new manager Jeff Banister has seemingly brought a new energy to the place.

I wouldn’t pick the Rangers for a playoff spot, and the AL West is a division of depth, with the Mariners improved, the Angels coming off a division championship, and Oakland recast but still dangerous. But 77 wins -- that’s a number that seems well within the reach of Texas.

I guess this is "supposed to be" a back-handed compliment of some sort. Not to me though.

Is 76.5 the number of wins for the over under if you're going to bet? If so I would bet the over just like I voted for over for the warriors over under of 50.5.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is 76.5 the number of wins for the over under if you're going to bet? If so I would bet the over just like I voted for over for the warriors over under of 50.5.

No kidding. I'm with ya 100% on that one.

I'm going to do some checking and put down some money - not a lot, maybe a $100 - the Rangers will eclipse the big 76.5.

Never ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No kidding. I'm with ya 100% on that one.

I'm going to do some checking and put down some money - not a lot, maybe a $100 - the Rangers will eclipse the big 76.5.

Never ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes.

Let me know what you come up with. I'd put a bill on it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me know what you come up with. I'd put a bill on it.

I heard last week that the over/under in Vegas is right at 82.5 I believe. Right in that area somewhere.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard last week that the over/under in Vegas is right at 82.5 I believe. Right in that area somewhere.[/QUOTE IfThey get that far watch out

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard last week that the over/under in Vegas is right at 82.5 I believe. Right in that area somewhere.

With those numbers, I'd wait to see how our pitching looks in ST before placing my bet.