• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Off-Season Rumor

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what's all uproar about adding the "Ice Girls"? Patty & Jimbo have been on the team for 17 & 9 years respectively. :whistle:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks have signed 2nd round pick Julius Bergman to an ELC. Bergman still has two years remaining on his contract with Frolunda in the SEL but has the ability to opt out. If he doesn't make Frolunda's big club, who currently have nine dmen under contract, he has the option of playing in the OHL for the London Knights, Worcester, or the NHL.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks have signed 2nd round pick Julius Bergman to an ELC. Bergman still has two years remaining on his contract with Frolunda in the SEL but has the ability to opt out. If he doesn't make Frolunda's big club, who currently have nine dmen under contract, he has the option of playing in the OHL for the London Knights, Worcester, or the NHL.

Didn't you mention him recently? Said you like his game?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't you mention him recently? Said you like his game?

Yes, he's solid in all aspects of his game. Very strong positionally, good offensive instincts, plays physical and uses his body well, very smooth skater with the ability to skate and pass the puck out of the zone. I expect him to play in the OHL next year. After that he has a legit shot at making the NHL.

Sharks have signed Demers to a two year contract at $3.4m per.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, he's solid in all aspects of his game. Very strong positionally, good offensive instincts, plays physical and uses his body well, very smooth skater with the ability to skate and pass the puck out of the zone. I expect him to play in the OHL next year. After that he has a legit shot at making the NHL.

Sharks have signed Demers to a two year contract at $3.4m per.

Cool, look forward to watching him progress.

Demers was better last season than I thought he was.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What about picking up Penner? Brodeur? :noidea:

Dougie is done. midseason deals are always possible but the great summer of the rebuild and reinventing of the team consisted of:

1. Buyout havlot to save space that remains unused.
2. let boyle walk
3. trade stuart for a 2nd rounder.
4. trade for tye mcginn, a possible bottom six forward. maybe.
5. sign jon scott because mike brown is obviously not enough and they need more roster space and money chewed up by guys who play 2 minutes a game and just fight.

In other words, they let walk what was the cornerstone of their D for 6 years. They traded their vet D. They bought out a dud. They added no top 6 forwards despite now moving burns back, and they added no D despite losing boyle and stuart, in hopes that burns can step into a #1 damn role. They kept the big two who are just getting older and older and have cemented their legacies.

They didnt really get younger and better. They didnt change the leadership in a material way as the big two are still there, so even if the C is on a different jersey, it changes nothing in a truly meaningful way. They are rushing Mueller who may debut at 19 on a team that isn't great on a thin D corps. They are praying that burns can play D again after two years off. And, they are praying for no real injuries at any position since they have very little depth now at either forward or D.

The revolutionary summer turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:gaah: Lets wait and see what happens

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:gaah: Lets wait and see what happens

of course. I am not saying they will suck, just that dougie talked a real big talk, and then did nothing (or worse). He certainly didnt strike fear into anyone and he didnt make the team meaningfully younger (letting old players retire, walk, buyout, or trade) since he is just tapping the farm. Other than I suppose Mcginn, he didnt bring in anyone under 25. To me, that's not a big shift to youth, thats just taxing the farm and saving cash.

Maybe they will overperform and go deep in the PO's, but its hard to imagine they will be better.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Dougie is done. midseason deals are always possible but the great summer of the rebuild and reinventing of the team consisted of:

2. let boyle walk
5. sign jon scott because mike brown is obviously not enough and they need more roster space and money chewed up by guys who play 2 minutes a game and just fight.

In other words, they let walk what was the cornerstone of their D for 6 years. They traded their vet D. They bought out a dud. They added no top 6 forwards despite now moving burns back, and they added no D despite losing boyle and stuart, in hopes that burns can step into a #1 damn role. They kept the big two who are just getting older and older and have cemented their legacies.

They didnt really get younger and better. They didnt change the leadership in a material way as the big two are still there, so even if the C is on a different jersey, it changes nothing in a truly meaningful way. They are rushing Mueller who may debut at 19 on a team that isn't great on a thin D corps. They are praying that burns can play D again after two years off. And, they are praying for no real injuries at any position since they have very little depth now at either forward or D.

Well said Rules....They had a bunch of tough guy talk, and did nothing, except get worse.
Wilson should have just kept his mouth shut.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

2. let boyle walk

hard to say if they are rushing Mueller, did anyone thing that Hertl was going to come in and perform the way he did? I sure as hell didnt but the management thought he might. The thing with Mueller is a lot of NHL teams/scouts seem to thing he's ready and will at the wery least be as good as vlasic was his rookie year so i think im going to have a wait and see approach on him.

As for Boyle he was done, he is one of those players that will suddenly get old and its not going to be pretty, they did the right thing letting him walk, no way he warranted a 2 year deal no way, look at dallas stuck with Gonchar, that wouldve been the sharks and boyle

RaiderZar

Absentem laedit cum ebrio
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hard to say if they are rushing Mueller, did anyone thing that Hertl was going to come in and perform the way he did? I sure as hell didnt but the management thought he might. The thing with Mueller is a lot of NHL teams/scouts seem to thing he's ready and will at the wery least be as good as vlasic was his rookie year so i think im going to have a wait and see approach on him.

As for Boyle he was done, he is one of those players that will suddenly get old and its not going to be pretty, they did the right thing letting him walk, no way he warranted a 2 year deal no way, look at dallas stuck with Gonchar, that wouldve been the sharks and boyle

Kork, you're not opposed to bringing in vets. What do think or Penner and/or Brodeur?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kork, you're not opposed to bringing in vets. What do think or Penner and/or Brodeur?

As much as I would've like to have Brouduer come in and mentor Stalock(his idol) Marty still thinks he's starter capable, he pretty much cost the Devils a playoff spot last season. I don't think his ego will allow him to be a back up, that being said he was the greatest of all time in net and you dont get that way by thinking your second best.

Penner would just be Clowe revisited minus the concussion problems, just to slow. Should be a monster in front of the net but he isnt, just not worth it.

The biggest thing the sharks are lacking now is a big body who can skate and park in front of the net like a burns, but they need a guy who will do that and knock down shots and fight for dirty goals. No where in the line up especially with Ralphie out. Quite frankly there isnt any guy like that out there who is available, unless washington has troy brouwer available, but even he isnt great down low. Mcginn might be that guy great size and skating ability had a cup of tea with the flyers and was effective in that roll. He uses his size and punishes guys and drives the net the 3 or 4 games i saw him play in. 18gp 4g 1a in limited minutes

Also trading Stuey the only true open ice hitting threat and not replacing him was stupid as well, Mueller isnt going to take that roll, even though he has plenty of size. Im typically not overly critical of Dwill but he dumped a lot of salary with no plan of replacing the skill sets he moved out. I cant think of anyone on the farm on defense that can replace Stuey, they let Petrecki walk this off season.

I mean Komasirek and Malone are still out there but you have to question their character and ability to play anymore. If anything happens itll be trade or through the farm.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

You are dead right about boyle. I am glad they didnt resign him. You also might be right that mueller is ready. Hard to say until the year starts.

I would say the trade of stuart, letting boyle walk, and havlat were all prudent moves. I have no problem with the departures. My issue is in the arrivals. Jon Scott and Tye Mcginn do not constitute really meaningful additions. Promoting rooks is something they can always do and doesnt signify solid additions. I expected them to get meaningfully younger not by jettisoning vets to promote rooks, but my jettisoning vets to bring in quality younger players and to boost the farm. these promotions dont boost the farm, they further tax it. They not have basically no goaltending depth and really minimal farm depth at any position. Jumbo and patty are still on the team, and both are still aging. Changing the C is just symbolic, but doesnt make the team substantively different when the big two get the big minutes.

Simply put, there was no culture shift. No big moves. No messages sent. No movement toward the future. A healthy/unhealthy scratch was bought out. a clearly done 38 yo dman walked and a depth Dman was dealt for a second rounder. None of those three are big or unexpected moves. None will change the organization meaningfully. The culture of thornton-marleau remains untouched and there is no new fresh young blood in the organization. I fail to see any "rebuild" in any sense of the word.

My prediction: the sharks will be solid. Finish in the 5-7 slots equivalent (2nd or 3rd in the division). Then lose in the 1st or second round. They will fall to anaheim, LA, chicago, or someone like that. Hopefully they dont win three in a row before losing :-)

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Don't know if it's been posted yet but Pollak is reporting that Thornton's sweater no longer has the captains "C" on it. McLellan saying no Captain and no Assistants going into training camp.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are dead right about boyle. I am glad they didnt resign him. You also might be right that mueller is ready. Hard to say until the year starts.

I would say the trade of stuart, letting boyle walk, and havlat were all prudent moves. I have no problem with the departures. My issue is in the arrivals. Jon Scott and Tye Mcginn do not constitute really meaningful additions. Promoting rooks is something they can always do and doesnt signify solid additions. I expected them to get meaningfully younger not by jettisoning vets to promote rooks, but my jettisoning vets to bring in quality younger players and to boost the farm. these promotions dont boost the farm, they further tax it. They not have basically no goaltending depth and really minimal farm depth at any position. Jumbo and patty are still on the team, and both are still aging. Changing the C is just symbolic, but doesnt make the team substantively different when the big two get the big minutes.

Simply put, there was no culture shift. No big moves. No messages sent. No movement toward the future. A healthy/unhealthy scratch was bought out. a clearly done 38 yo dman walked and a depth Dman was dealt for a second rounder. None of those three are big or unexpected moves. None will change the organization meaningfully. The culture of thornton-marleau remains untouched and there is no new fresh young blood in the organization. I fail to see any "rebuild" in any sense of the word.

My prediction: the sharks will be solid. Finish in the 5-7 slots equivalent (2nd or 3rd in the division). Then lose in the 1st or second round. They will fall to anaheim, LA, chicago, or someone like that. Hopefully they dont win three in a row before losing :-)

Are you kidding me? Sharks goaltending depth is so deep Sateri went to play in the khl. It's another log jam at that spot. Outside of that position they've got probably 1 nhl caliber guy and varying levels in each position. The rest would fall into your category of healthy scratches and the woostah shuttle

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since the Ruins are up against the cap i wonder if Dswill can swindle Johnny Boychuk away from the B's, right hand shot to boot.

caliraftdude

Sharks Hockey... meh...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fine with the Boyle and Havlat moves (imho.. Boyle should have been captain a long time ago - never understood why he wasn't). Moving Stuart didn't make sense to me, especially in keeping Hannan. Hannan seemed less mobile and less physical.. but I wasn't able to watch as many games last year so maybe I am wrong there.

I agree with Rules - the largest issue is with the underwhelming additions to the team. This team revolution we heard about seemed more like a bunch of old women knitting around a coffee table passing wind and talking out the same pipe. No one we added is going contribute significantly and I doubt that any of the "1 goal, 2 assists, -29 in the final 4 games" crew is especially concerned about their job security.

I see a complete lack of creativity and balls with the management of this team.. my thoughts are we will see this same squad for another 3 years. The playoffs will continue to be abysmal where we revel in a 1/2 ass shift as the bright part of a 1-7 loss.

I am pretty disappointed with the changes. Luckily the regular season will probably be good - so I 'll enjoy that and then switch to golf or something in March.