• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 off season releases/re-signings updates

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question was when not if. I would not even take him for veterans minimum.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions released FS Louis Delmas.
The move frees up $6 million in cap space, and including the release of Nate Burleson, gives the Lions $11.5 million in new room. Delmas was due a $500,000 roster bonus on March 15. Delmas has been injury prone throughout his five-year career, but appeared in all 16 games for the first time in 2013. He was an every-down player, tallying 64 tackles, two sacks and three interceptions across 1,058 snaps. Delmas' past injury issues and salary make the move justifiable, but it's a bit surprising for a team that's had so much trouble in the secondary. Delmas is a top-five option in a safety market led by Jairus Byrd and T.J. Ward.

Rumor is he ran full speed and tried to spear-tackle the door on his way out, but missed and KO'd Nate Burleson.

Thats a lie. He pulled his groin long before he got to Nate!

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Bright side Houston can be released for 3.2 in savings next year!

Whos going to play in the secondary if houston and delmas are both released? I wouldnt mind seeing delmas back for less money but not sure if thas possible.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And do what by cutting Houston, losing 2.6 mil with him not being on the roster. Get a FA for 6 mil a year ? right back to the same shit as usual with $$$ concerns...

I expect Houston to bounce back this year and if he doesn't, you could be right on point Mebert. Hopefully Slay and Greenwood play lights out this year. Bentley could be gone, before Houston, with all his injuries, pass interference penalties.

On a side note, Houston's father was allegedly involved in the Sam Hurd (ex-Chicago and Dal WR)
drug case and he was repeatedly questioned by the Det media if that was worriesome to him or was he merely trying to live up to the big contract. He's never been a #1 CB nor was he paid last year like one.

I see chris having a good year as well, glad Im not alone.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston may not be a #1 but he is the best the Lions have. And a true #1 will be every bit of 6 million. I am tired of seeing the CB position done on a budget but until the Lions hit on some draft picks like Warford for the defensive side of the ball you take the best you got.

Plus most #1's that get let go are like Asamough. On the downward side of his career and you don't know what you are actually getting.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally!!!! I have been waiting for someone to try and make a comparison of how other shitty teams who had to deal with the outrageous rookie deals as well are currently looking cap wise.

Look no further than right there for an extremely clear cut example of just how truly incompetent our front office really is. The Raiders have $63m in cap space and the Browns have $57m. Those arent misprints, that's the cap space they have.

I have said it before and will keep saying, we did not get into this mess because of the old contracts, we are in it because our GM and President are a Millen trained moron and dumbass drunk. It's that simple and those numbers prove it pretty darn clearly.

Lol, I knew it, but if I simply say the front office sucks, I get attacked......So make others do there homework while asking a simple question is a better tactic. :laugh3:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By saying attacked. I mean they want stats why the front office sucks....Hahaha.......It's not enough to simply say they suck.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By saying attacked. I mean they want stats why the front office sucks....Hahaha.......It's not enough to simply say they suck.

THEY SUCK

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait until CJ's extreme cap hits come to fruition.. if you think we're screwed now... just wait until 2015 new league year..I bet very few will be bitching about it, saying he's the best ever, but his upcoming cap hits will kill this teams financial future even more. And forget the "we'll worry about that ordeal when it comes". This deal for CJ and likely Suh's extension nullify any future thought of a "A" FA player, not that I want to see any.... ever...

2013 cap hit...... 8,773,000.00
2014 cap hit......13,058,000.00
2015 cap hit......20, 588,000.00
2016 cap hit......24,008,000.00 or cut him and absorb a dead money of 12,914,000.00
2017 cap hit......21,358,000.00 or cut him and absorb a dead money of 4,857,000.00

Sorry dude, but watching the Lions without Calvin would be so boring. Dude is flat out the best player outside of the QB position, bar none. The only player close to as good as him is Adrian Peterson.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally!!!! I have been waiting for someone to try and make a comparison of how other shitty teams who had to deal with the outrageous rookie deals as well are currently looking cap wise.

Look no further than right there for an extremely clear cut example of just how truly incompetent our front office really is. The Raiders have $63m in cap space and the Browns have $57m. Those arent misprints, that's the cap space they have.

I have said it before and will keep saying, we did not get into this mess because of the old contracts, we are in it because our GM and President are a Millen trained moron and dumbass drunk. It's that simple and those numbers prove it pretty darn clearly.

Maybe Obama can make an executive order to give our teams some cap relief for those years where the contracts got out of control. If not Obama, then I think Godell could pull something out of his ass for it.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin would be a 20.974 million dead money cap hit next year by trading him in 2015. A cap hit of 20.588 mil to play for the lions in 2015 or trade him and still account for a 20.974 cap hit without him. If I'm wrong about this, Dr. Evil hopefully with step in and state so...

Let's knock it off on all the trading Calvin talk. We aren't the ones paying his salary, Mr. Ford is. Let's just enjoy his greatness while it lasts.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that those teams whiffed all their top 5 picks so they aren't sitting on the ridiculous salaries. The lions got a top ten quarterback the top receive and probably a top 5 defensive lineman.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is that those teams whiffed all their top 5 picks so they aren't sitting on the ridiculous salaries. The lions got a top ten quarterback the top receive and probably a top 5 defensive lineman.

I don't get the point here, so if they drafted guys who busted and they don't have to sign them to a contract extension,we would have more cap space?

If we didn't draft studs like Suh,Stafford and Suh. We would have salary cap to spend on improving the team, but would still have to pay millions to get studs!

Those contract extensions look pretty fair to me. Stafford isn't getting top 5 QB money. CJ is the most dominant, non QB. So yeah, he should get paid A LOT (if we didn't pay him, another team would of given him that much). Suh has 3 all pro selections in 4 seasons. Why shouldn't the guy get paid? Dude is a flat out star.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the point here, so if they drafted guys who busted and they don't have to sign them to a contract extension,we would have more cap space?

If we didn't draft studs like Suh,Stafford and Suh. We would have salary cap to spend on improving the team, but would still have to pay millions to get studs!

Those contract extensions look pretty fair to me. Stafford isn't getting top 5 QB money. CJ is the most dominant, non QB. So yeah, he should get paid A LOT (if we didn't pay him, another team would of given him that much). Suh has 3 all pro selections in 4 seasons. Why shouldn't the guy get paid? Dude is a flat out star.

If you Pay Stafford, CJ and Suh all the money you end up with 50 other guys making miniumum wage in the NFL and that has a recipe for disaster as far as a team goes. Team being the key word here.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry dude, but watching the Lions without Calvin would be so boring. Dude is flat out the best player outside of the QB position, bar none. The only player close to as good as him is Adrian Peterson.

and so is the front office financial purgatory boring, yet completely asinine.

I love watching CJ just as much as anyone else but not for 20+mil cap hits coming in (2015-2017). He's already breaking down and giving him another outside threat (wr) isn't any guarantee that he'll see less coverage. Still counting on Stafford to give him a catchable ball also ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's knock it off on all the trading Calvin talk. We aren't the ones paying his salary, Mr. Ford is. Let's just enjoy his greatness while it lasts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not the one who originated "The trade Calvin talk" (it was from lions_rthe_best) ya might wanna go back and see who initiated the talk of trading "CJ"...because it wasn't me....lol... just saying.... puff--puff--- no pass for you

I merely/solely stated the cap hits he has in upcoming years and what the dead money would be if he were traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would not surprise me if they resign him later in the year though. I agree he and Delmas will open up some much needed cap space.

and it will be eaten up by re-signing Raiola, Pettidrops and as Dr. Evil stated, Joique Bell. Now where is the money for the rookies, practice squad and the other 2-4 roster spots ?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the argument that our front office sucks because they drafted players worth keeping around when the CBA was the most crippling.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the argument that our front office sucks because they drafted players worth keeping around when the CBA was the most crippling.

Does that mean you think Suh should be the highest paid defensive player in the league?

Because that is what's being debated here. The trade talk came about as an option if the Lions couldn't come to a reasonable contract with him. Not one person ever said that he shouldn't be the highest paid DT in the league.

The Atkins contract average is $10.665m/yr and we have guys suggesting he should be not just be the highest paid DT in the game, but the highest defensive player period. That would mean an average deal in excess of $16m/yr.

Everybody wants Suh around, just not at a 50% premium over the next highest paid player at his position. If your boy pays Suh a deal like that then your damn right, the front office sucks.