• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:: 2014 NHL Draft Thread ::

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your idea of trading down with St. Louis but with how jumbled up basically all picks are after the top 10 or so St. Louis will really have to like a guy to jump up 4 spots.

I could really go anyway at this point whether we're trading up, down, or staying put. I have no idea what to expect

St. Louis should go after Jared McCann with our pick at 17 - NHL Tonight actually did a mock draft and had him going at 17 and the Blues need centers - they can't beat LA, CHI, ANA because they have nobody to go up against the top centers on that team - Oshie is more of a 2nd line center and David Backes played a little bit of center but he's not really that type of guy - Jared McCann has a lot of potential, Blues should be going for a center

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a pipe dream, but damn Ekblad in a Flyer uniform just sounds pretty damn good. Like co is said, it won't happen unless Florida takes 17, B. Schenn, one of our prospects of Laughton, Morin, or Haag? IF this guy is the next Webber or Pronger, I'd do it. That's the big gamble.. I wouldn't have the balls to pull the trigger.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
St. Louis should go after Jared McCann with our pick at 17 - NHL Tonight actually did a mock draft and had him going at 17 and the Blues need centers - they can't beat LA, CHI, ANA because they have nobody to go up against the top centers on that team - Oshie is more of a 2nd line center and David Backes played a little bit of center but he's not really that type of guy - Jared McCann has a lot of potential, Blues should be going for a center

I agree with that. The Blues get a lot of love but I won't believe in them until they get a #1 center. Defense wins championships but you still need firepower up front. McCann seems like a Hitchcock guy too

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Gary Lawless is just pulling shit out of his ass because the draft is in Philadelphia

Last edited by a moderator:

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Gary Lawless is just pulling shit out of his ass because the draft is in Philadelphia

Honestly. Who do u think Hextall is slobbering all over in this draft to move up? It just seems so many media outlets have the Flyers targeting somebody? Where I wonder? Schenn was just extended and starting to wonder if this was part of a deal in place for an upcoming trade?

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ready for this friggin draft to go down. I'm looking forward to Hexy's first draft as a Flyer. I sense something big will happen either today up until the draft. What's everyone's beverage of choice during the draft? I'm going w Beck's Dark.

Seconded!

I think in the fridge is most of a 12 pack of Yuengling Lager and a lone Flying Fish Exit 4, which will be the first soldier to fall.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Meltzer, Craig Button has the Flyers taking Anthony DeAngelo at 17? Funny that I brought his name up yesterday on everyone's thoughts on the kid. I like the thought that he is a die hard Flyers fan, local kid, and a big Giroux fan, but it seems this kid has some serious issues. Maybe the kid matures over time? The talent seems to be there. Button is usually spot on. Depending who is on the board at 17, I'd gamble and take him, but like some of said, maybe trade w ST. Louis for 21 and 33 pick? He should still be on board?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Meltzer, Craig Button has the Flyers taking Anthony DeAngelo at 17? Funny that I brought his name up yesterday on everyone's thoughts on the kid. I like the thought that he is a die hard Flyers fan, local kid, and a big Giroux fan, but it seems this kid has some serious issues. Maybe the kid matures over time? The talent seems to be there. Button is usually spot on. Depending who is on the board at 17, I'd gamble and take him, but like some of said, maybe trade w ST. Louis for 21 and 33 pick? He should still be on board?

I think 17 is too high for him, never really saw him that high on any of the mocks

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope if they do want deangelo, they do in fact trade down. there's no reason he should be off the board at 17 to me when he could probably be had between 30-35.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope if they do want deangelo, they do in fact trade down. there's no reason he should be off the board at 17 to me when he could probably be had between 30-35.

Yep agreed

My dream is that they trade down to 21 and 33 and get Ivan Barbashev and Thatcher Demko(however I think he will go in the first round, maybe to Pittsburgh or Minnesota) - I think Ron Hextall loves picks and if that's the case he would do whatever it takes to trade down and get multiple picks

If they want a defenseman, I think they should go after Julius Honka - don't go for Anthony DeAngelo just because he's from there

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly!! I think cobie or someone brought up a trade w ST. Louis yesterday.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not even going to try and make a ranking by preference this year. So many guys I'd be happy with. Just avoid two way guys.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked in to which teams this might work for, but what would you guys think about trading vinny to move down in the draft? would be kind of an interesting salary dump, and I think the flyers could do better.. but just food for thought maybe? say trade the 17th and vinny for like the 28th pick or something? and maybe deangelo is still on the board?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, Bill does like Kempe. I'm not familiar w him, exception to what Bill mentioned. I was a huge fan of Renberg however. :suds:

Yep, and I trust pretty much everything Bill says haha

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't looked in to which teams this might work for, but what would you guys think about trading vinny to move down in the draft? would be kind of an interesting salary dump, and I think the flyers could do better.. but just food for thought maybe? say trade the 17th and vinny for like the 28th pick or something? and maybe deangelo is still on the board?

28th would be Tampa and he's not going back to Tampa

I don't want to give up Vinny just to move down 11 spots

There are way more ways to give up Vinny and not have to sacrifice picks or prospects or moving down

If this is what's going to happen then they are better off just buying him out

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
28th would be Tampa and he's not going back to Tampa

I don't want to give up Vinny just to move down 11 spots

There are way more ways to give up Vinny and not have to sacrifice picks or prospects or moving down

If this is what's going to happen then they are better off just buying him out

I was just picking a number out of a hat, it could be anywhere from 17-30, just the concept is what I meant.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just picking a number out of a hat, it could be anywhere from 17-30, just the concept is what I meant.

I get that but I still don't like the concept of trading him and having to either move down in the draft or give up picks period

You don't have to sacrifice spots or picks just to move him - it's not worth it - that's what got Homer in trouble because he traded a 2nd rounder with Scottie Upshall in that trade just so that he could get the contract off the books - Flyers aren't in a dire spot like that situation then so no need to give up picks or move down just to trade Vinny