• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Shanaban thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess it's open season again on delivering head shots to unsuspecting opponents, Matt Cooke will be pleased.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I guess it's open season again on delivering head shots to unsuspecting opponents, Matt Cooke will be pleased.

I repeat

too close to the playoffs, dont want to hurt their chances or improve another teams. not that he is the end all be all but dont want to give an unfair advantage anywhere you know

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here you go, everyone, fire away. :rolleyes:

BopBag-Penguins.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, maybe the league has done a 180 and doesn't want these hits out of hockey any longer. Seems like they're not sure and I'm thinking the players don't have a clue either.

IndyAndy

I can't reMember
Paddock Stand, Section 23, Row QQ, Seat 4
Hoopla Cash
$ 545.78
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but I'm just not seeing what you guys are seeing here.

Nino has his head down, looking at the puck - which he clearly proceeds to take a swipe at. Then he realizes that he's in too close/at a bad angle/coming too fast/all of the above & braces for an impact.

How is that an intentional attempt to take head shot?

Just my :2cents:

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nino has his head down, looking at the puck - which he clearly proceeds to take a swipe at. Then he realizes that he's in too close/at a bad angle/coming too fast/all of the above & braces for an impact.

I would agree, up until the point of the drastic upward swing of the shoulder at the last second.

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would agree, up until the point of the drastic upward swing of the shoulder at the last second.

This ^

I think it's unnecessary at that spot to make that hit. But, with that said it is a hockey play and a decision on Nino's part to follow through. And he is the type of player to choose "hit" 9 times out of ten. He made contact with the head and based on past reviews, particularly in the preseason or when the victim is a Red Wing (provided the perpetrator is not a Penguin), that at least gets a hearing.

I lean towards "hockey play with bad outcome" and no suspension. Maybe a fine to make Nino think about it next time. The big issue is the dirtiness that has gone on the last two weeks that has been completely ignored.

Let's remember, this is the last hit the league suspended for:
AltruisticParchedBlacklemur.gif

Also unnecessary to make that hit at that time and also a borderline "hockey play with bad outcome". The difference being it was against the boards and Comeau should have known to let up when he saw numbers and he didn't.

I am fine with two games there. If it was open ice, it wouldn't have been anything, though.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any credence to the view that the league was on pace to set a record for suspensions handed down and all of a sudden there are no more suspensions?

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any credence to the view that the league was on pace to set a record for suspensions handed down and all of a sudden there are no more suspensions?

robberies-into-larceneries.gif

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neiderreiter should have had a talk with player safety AT LEAST here. He's a young guy who might be influenced by talking about a dangerous play.

Now he's just being trained to think that unnecessary hits to the head are A-OK.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neiderreiter should have had a talk with player safety AT LEAST here. He's a young guy who might be influenced by talking about a dangerous play.

Now he's just being trained to think that unnecessary hits to the head are A-OK.

Not the first time a young player on the Wild has delivered a questionable hit either...At least this drew a five minute major, but here again, no supplemental discipline.

/For the record, I'm angry at Shanny, not players on the Wild.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is Brendan Shanahan’s ruling:

“His reaction to this hit — getting spun rather than getting driven into the direction (the hitter) was travelling — reaffirms our view that his head is the main point of contact.”

Oh wait, I'm sorry

That’s Shanahan’s reasoning for suspending Edler for his collision with Tomas Hertl.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanny's losing it they need to go with an ex player, ex GM and ex Ref as someone mentioned in another thread. This would get rid of the bias and I'm sure they'd have better success in getting the call right. I still laugh at neal saying he was bracing himself with his elbow on Couturiers jaw....and Shanny buying it.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Compared to other recent elbows/head shots, that one looks tame.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^

Compared to other recent elbows/head shots, that one looks tame.

It's almost like Lovejoy put his elbow up to protect himself and the Oilers player rode into it

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrew Shaw gave a little shiskabob to Zach Smith of the Sens late in the 3rd period last night. That might get looked at by Shanny.