• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Shanaban thread

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you would say 10 games, nobody else has said that

At the most he should get the rest of the regular season(4 games) - when you compare that hit to other hits that's a reasonable amount of games - he knows what he did wrong and he'll pay, but he's not getting 10 so forget about that

Yup, now you know how it feels to have people blatantly go against your team. ;)

He went with intent to injure, see my post above. Rinaldo is a dirty player, but let me guess, you'll tell me he's not. :rolleyes:

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and do we forget the charging major he got earlier in the game? Guess he didn't learn his lesson since he still went up with this hit. Maybe not 10, but no less than 5. But then again, all he's getting is a phone hearing, so he'll get 2 and thus leading to the consistently bad suspensions.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No surprise here

Last edited by a moderator:

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the suspension video, Rinaldo's only played 165 NHL games and he's now been suspended twice and fined twice.

Yikes.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to the suspension video, Rinaldo's only played 165 NHL games and he's now been suspended twice and fined twice.

Yikes.

Obviously, the Department of Player Safety is doing a bang-up job.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yikes.

All his punishments were outside the 'repeat offender statute of limitations' though I believe.

Further showing how stupid it is to have a time period to base 'repeat offender'

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He fully deserved to get what he got as he obviously lost his mind there. But for the most part he's been a hard hitter all year and a legal hitter so this was disappointing. At the same time if you want to give him more games you better start writing up that deceptive POS neal...he's worse as he comes off as an innocent sniper who can't possibly harm anyone else....but has hurt more players illegally than the so called serial killer Rinaldo has.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I've been repeatedly offended by the rulings the Sheriff has handed down, does that too make me a repeat offender?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off no doubt it was an illegal check and I still can't & won't defend it, however I have some more interesting thoughts if like to share.

I would have originally swore no more the 2 games but then I remembered what time of the year it was. With the playoffs right around the corner the bipolar multi personality Shanny decided to try to make an example to deescalate a season that's been a shit show. Whil I can understand this and I'm honestly not really even upset but he's now put himself in a really bad position. From here on out all suspensions have to be pretty harsh and for repeat offenders in the 4-6 range, in some cases the maybe the remainder of the playoffs. This is a defining moment for this disciplinary commitee whether they like it or not. I hope they're prepared if a guy like Neal or Malkin or Weber (just examples I could remember from 2 playoff seasons ago)do anything bone headed like they've did 2 years ago to sit them the better part of a series to prove how serious they are about player safety. This will force teams to be more proactive In controlling their players as well. Plus I'm not really a fan of the repeat offender list time frame, it needs to go.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have definitely been all over the board this year. That's part of why I think they might use this as their "hey look, we're not as soft on this sort of thing as you think" event.

Suspending him for 4 games is a safe move for the league on a lot of levels. The Flyers are unlikely to miss the POs (one could argue Rinaldo isn't important to that anyhow) so there's little risk to the team in hitting him for the regular season, so the Flyers are unlikely to be too upset since he's back for the POs then.

Four games also goes to the max they can do without an in-person hearing and is below the threshold that allows the player to file an appeal.

Then there's the perception of the league being able to say in their shiny video presentation that "the Dept. of Player Safety has suspended Zac Rinaldo for the remainder of the regular season" (emphasis mine).

Anyone get a chance to watch the video? I got the length right, but since I can't watch the video at work, I don't know if I got the ominous remainder of the regular season right.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone get a chance to watch the video? I got the length right, but since I can't watch the video at work, I don't know if I got the ominous remainder of the regular season right.

i watched it yesterday and my memory is horrible, but i'm pretty sure he just said 'we suspend Zac Rinaldo, 4 games.'

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i watched it yesterday and my memory is horrible, but i'm pretty sure he just said 'we suspend Zac Rinaldo, 4 games.'

Damn. Would have been great if they used the crashing cymbals and the voiceover guy for that.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a tough one because a) Murray is a big boy and b) Sundstrom looked off-balance prior to the hit. Doesn't sound like Murray will be facing any supplementary discipline.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is a tough one because a) Murray is a big boy and b) Sundstrom looked off-balance prior to the hit. Doesn't sound like Murray will be facing any supplementary discipline.

I agree this is a really tough one to call and I think it could go either way because of the distance Murray traveled and the way he finished the hit. Also wasn't Murray just suspended? So that could play in too but Sundstrom put himself in a bad spot there by turning, then again he was also off balance.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Shanahan sentencing himself to a punishment by going to the Leafs?

I hope Stephane Quintal is as impartial as Shanahan was! (hoping the Habs parted with Quintal on good terms)

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go ahead and rename this thread from Shanaban to Quintaliban.