• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Shanaban thread

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8Idifaq.gif

That's got to be at least 2 or 3 games - Tom Wilson made no effort to stop

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Wilson will be home for Christmas. It was definitely a charge. He seemed to be accelerating from fucking King of Prussia. Schenn turned last second which made it worse for him as well. Me thinks 4-5.

This. Schenn turning last second defiantly made it worse for him, but no doubt that should be a good chunk of games. Will end up being 2-3 i think.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
George McPhee is a fraud, he said it was a "Great Hit"

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes... he comes in from the blueline for that. Waaayyyy too dangerous.

I could see longer than 4 games easily.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes... he comes in from the blueline for that. Waaayyyy too dangerous.

I could see longer than 4 games easily.

This. Nothing Wilson could do about the boarding aspect of it, but he came from a mile away with one purpose.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure some will tear into me for this, but Schenn is at least partly at fault for this. Yes, Wilson looks like he came charging from the next county over. But Schenn sees him coming and at the last second he turns into the boards with his back to Wilson...why would you do that? I saw this last night on NHL Tonight and just couldn't understand wny Schenn turned into the boards. It's even more obvious from the reverse angle.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Wilson and definitely think he deserves to sit a few games..2-3 games maybe? But still....

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure some will tear into me for this, but Schenn is at least partly at fault for this. Yes, Wilson looks like he came charging from the next county over. But Schenn sees him coming and at the last second he turns into the boards with his back to Wilson...why would you do that? I saw this last night on NHL Tonight and just couldn't understand wny Schenn turned into the boards. It's even more obvious from the reverse angle.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not defending Wilson and definitely think he deserves to sit a few games..2-3 games maybe? But still....

I think you'll see that factor into the decision and get mentioned in the Shanaban video.

The rule is clear that the other person (Schenn) does have some responsibility to protect himself.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a charge, and a dangerous one, by Wilson.

However Schenn turns his back and even still you can see Schenn's numbers at the time of impact, ie. it is not a hit from behind.

The result looks bad but I think Wilson gets no more than 2 games. I'd be fine with 1-2 games.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point though, doesn't Shanny have to up the ante? These piddly 1 and 2 game suspensions certainly aren't doing much to curb these dangerous hits (in fact, I would argue that in a compressed schedule due to the Olympics, guys are looking forward to a 2 game break). Start sitting guys for 10, 12, 15 games and I think the message will start to sink in.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point though, doesn't Shanny have to up the ante? These piddly 1 and 2 game suspensions certainly aren't doing much to curb these dangerous hits (in fact, I would argue that in a compressed schedule due to the Olympics, guys are looking forward to a 2 game break). Start sitting guys for 10, 12, 15 games and I think the message will start to sink in.

Yep - they need to up the suspensions, and they need to make the organizations pay as well, not just the players - maybe if the league starts docking the teams money then that might change things as well

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree harsher punishment would deter players, however I also agree with Lou Lamoriello that the players need to be the ones to change:

"It's a good thing if fewer injuries come as a result of changing player behaviour. New Jersey Devils general manger Lou Lamoriello pointed out that injuries have always been a part of the game and always will be, and he doesn't expect Shanahan, Patrick Burke, Brian Leetch and the rest of the department of player safety to do everything.

"The responsibility has to be on the players, also," Lamoriello said Monday night. "This is their game, as well as anybody else's game, and they have to have respect for each other."
"

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WHERE IS THE RESPECT IN THE GAME???!!!

WILSON HIT CHIEN AS IF HE WAS SOME KIND OF DOG!!!

/ thanks blindbaby :)

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO that ship sailed when Kneel was given only 5 games. How do you give Wilson, a first-time offender, 10 games when Kneel got only 5?

Shanny has failed in his role. He needs to be fired. Bring in someone who will set a precedent from day one.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. Nothing Wilson could do about the boarding aspect of it, but he came from a mile away with one purpose.

I agree with Awaz. I think it was a charge, and a dangerous one at that, but I don't think it was boarding because he didn't hit him in the back but in the shoulder. I'm guessing 2 games.

I don't think it was dirty, but it was reckless.