• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Shanaban thread

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad. I was very intrigued to see how the independent arbitrator process would play out.

Same here. It could have turned into a nightmare for the NHL. As it should have.

10 games was WAY out of whack for the actual hit and compared to others that have been given.

As an aside, NHL network scroll at the bottom of the screen says that Koivu is out indefinitely after "taking an elbow to the head". :L

Was it a trainer that did that?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same here. It could have turned into a nightmare for the NHL. As it should have.

10 games was WAY out of whack for the actual hit and compared to others that have been given.

As an aside, NHL network scroll at the bottom of the screen says that Koivu is out indefinitely after "taking an elbow to the head". :L

He was playing with his kids on the living room floor and things got a bit rowdy.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He won't ever get smart with me again, will he?

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think Sugar Ray gets a call from the Sheriff since Holtby was obviously not a willing participant in that fight?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone think Sugar Ray gets a call from the Sheriff since Holtby was obviously not a willing participant in that fight?

I read somewhere already that he won't be getting a call.

I agree with you though. That was just a mugging basically.

How perfect would it have been had that game been against the Avs and Varlamov though? :nod:

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

NHL has said it was a garbage move, but there's nothing in the rule book that they can point to for a suspension.
the only mark on his record is, he is 1/3 the way to a 2 game suspension (three instigator calls get you there)

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NHL has said it was a garbage move, but there's nothing in the rule book that they can point to for a suspension.
the only mark on his record is, he is 1/3 the way to a 2 game suspension (three instigator calls get you there)

Not doubting that's what you read, but that's a horseshit excuse. Direct from the rulebook (emphasis mine):
27.6 Leaving Goal Crease – A minor penalty shall be imposed on a goalkeeper who leaves the immediate vicinity of his crease during an altercation. In addition, he shall be subject to a fine of two hundred dollars ($200) and this incident shall be reported to the Commissioner for such further disciplinary action as may be required.

higgyfan4

Bossman you'll be missed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not doubting that's what you read, but that's a horseshit excuse. Direct from the rulebook (emphasis mine):

They also could have suspended him for battling an unwilling combatant, like they did Carkner a few years ago.

Ottawa Senators forward Matt Carkner has been suspended for one game for continuing to inflict punishment upon an opponent who was an unwilling combatant in an altercation during Game 2 of the team's Eastern Conference Quarterfinal series with the New York Rangers in New York on Saturday, April 14, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

Carkner instigated an altercation with New York forward Brian Boyle, who did not respond. After knocking Boyle to the ice with two punches, Carkner continued to throw punches at his opponent, who was an unwilling combatant. Carkner's actions classified him as an "aggressor" under NHL rules.

The incident occurred at 2:15 of the first period. Carkner was assessed a minor penalty for instigating, a major penalty for fighting and a game misconduct.

Sounds exactly what Emery did to Holtby...

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also could have suspended him for battling an unwilling combatant, like they did Carkner a few years ago.

Sounds exactly what Emery did to Holtby...

That would work too.

Sounds about like the NHL though...unaware of the content of their own rulebook.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Snider > lil Gary, thus no supplemental discipline for Ray-ray

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Snider > lil Gary, thus no supplemental discipline for Ray-ray

This goes along with higgys post. They could suspend him but that's now how it works in the NHL these days.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take by Kerry Fraser on Lupul's attempt to chicken-wing a Sedin and plowing Kadri instead:

Fraser: The near-miss - Lupul on Henrik Sedin on Saturday

There have been many times that the Player Safety Committee has suspended a player where no injury resulted. I can't think of one situation where a player was suspended where contact with his opponent did not actually occur. The reality is that this play was likely judged in the same consistent fashion given the absence of physical contact.

Any lack of supplemental discipline in cases such as this not only sends the wrong message but misses the intended target completely; namely to provide a future deterrent to a player committing an illegal and dangerous act where injury is likely to result.

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan = great player

Shanahan = total piece of shit in his current role

Is that a fair summary?

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There have been many times that the Player Safety Committee has suspended a player where no injury resulted. I can't think of one situation where a player was suspended where contact with his opponent did not actually occur. The reality is that this play was likely judged in the same consistent fashion given the absence of physical contact.

Any lack of supplemental discipline in cases such as this not only sends the wrong message but misses the intended target completely; namely to provide a future deterrent to a player committing an illegal and dangerous act where injury is likely to result.
Interesting choice of words. :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan = great player

Shanahan = total piece of shit in his current role

Is that a fair summary?

I think Shanahan started out very well in his current role, unfortunately he came down too hard on some players regarding supplementary discipline and the powers that be said "enough of that crap". They trot him out there for his explanatory videos which is supposed to show transparency, but ultimately leads to more confusion for both players and fans.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan has a two tiered justice system; which, considering it's North America, seems about par for the course.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, what a lame excuse.

Technically, elbowing is a 2 minute penalty, but they suspend people for violent, intent-to-injure type elbows.

And I thought it was only a fight if both parties, you know, fought? Nice to know that you can just start punching somebody in the face at will, and the most you can get is a game misconduct.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No penalty called during the game.

nTchYUz.gif