• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Shanaban thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no big whoop

xgjf4nl.gif

I bet the Isles can't wait to move out of the dank dark hole that is the NVMC...

/Also, Kesler 1 game for embellishment :D

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just a Canuck not sure what your bitching about

It's entirely possible that Kelser screamed: "WOLF!!!". While the confused refs, and league office, looked the other way this hit transpired.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Update - Shanahan will not suspend John Scott for his hit on Bruins player, Loui Eriksson. Shanahan is reported to have said that "having Scott continue to play with the Sabres is punishment enough."

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That looks like a textbook Rule 48 violation to me - I think the Sheriff is going to come down hard on Scott. Minimum 10 games.

Hard to say what he'll get. He doesn't have a big history as far as I know so I'm going to say 8 games.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure where the Wheel comes down on this one. Taking the hit completely of its own merits I see the following:
1) The hit was a little later than it should have been, but I don't think late enough to qualify as a late hit under the rules. I think Scott has a right to throw a (legal) check on the play, he just failed to fulfill the legal part of his obligation.
2) The head was absolutely the principle point of contact, but unlike some other hits, it was not the only point of contact, as there was body contact following the head contact.
3) The elbow was certainly down at the time of the hit and only extends afterwards. The elbow may have made contact (see also #4 below), but it was not extended like a Doan or Brown hit.
4) Eriksson did have his head down, which is further exacerbated by the significant height difference between the players.

Based on the merits of the hit alone and the recent suspensions to guys like Garbutt and McLeod, it would end up at 5 games.

Then, accounting for the other factors:
1) Scott is a goon who serves no real purpose other than a physical deterrent for the Sabres, though he's never been suspended before, so does not qualify as a repeat offender. His role on the team will factor into the length of suspension.
2) Eriksson was injured on the play. The extent of his injuries is obviously not known at this time. He stayed the night in Buffalo rather than traveling with the team though, so there's definite reason to believe it may be a fairly serious injury, which will certainly factor into the length.
3) I think the league would also like to get one back on the Kessel incident. There was nothing under the rules that they could suspend him for after that incident and I don't think they like that.

So on the basis of the hit alone, I would expect 5 games. Adding in the other factors, I think the Wheel lands on 10. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if Gary gets his second appeal request from a Buffalo player this season.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was a lot of mass hysteria last night about banning John Scott for life (as IPW pointed out ... first time offender) and firing Ron Rolston (John Scott got more ice time playing for Joel Queneville then hes getting with Rolston) ... most of it coming from Toronto media (like that slimy turd Steve Simmons) ... so much rhetoric about "get this goon out of the league" yet a guy like Duncan Keith or Shane Doan gets a pass

it was a bad hit ... no worse than the other suspendable hits that have happenned in the past couple weeks though imo

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was a lot of mass hysteria last night about banning John Scott for life (as IPW pointed out ... first time offender) and firing Ron Rolston (John Scott got more ice time playing for Joel Queneville then hes getting with Rolston) ... most of it coming from Toronto media (like that slimy turd Steve Simmons) ... so much rhetoric about "get this goon out of the league" yet a guy like Duncan Keith or Shane Doan gets a pass

it was a bad hit ... no worse than the other suspendable hits that have happenned in the past couple weeks though imo

i agree and I cant stand guys like Scott but hes getting roasted more for his job description than the keiths or doans because of their stature

forty_three

Stance: Goofy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanny has kinda painted himself into a corner. Kaleta got ten for something that didn't result in an injury and wasn't even penalized in a game. And now it faces appeal.

So now a guy on the same team has caused injury with a charge and a head target that got a match penalty in game.

All while the entire hockey world is questioning the consistency.

Grab some popcorn folks.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really starting to feel sorry for the goon ... i mean ... guy ...

John Scott becoming a bit emotional: "I get frustrated when people say I’m a goon and this and that. I have a role, I do."

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do like the idea of making the sabres play him 20 minutes a game as punishment :noidea:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really starting to feel sorry for the goon ... i mean ... guy ...

John Scott becoming a bit emotional: "I get frustrated when people say I’m a goon and this and that. I have a role, I do."

Okay, John. Your role is now sniping winger. Go.

Uhhhhh

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really do like the idea of making the sabres play him 20 minutes a game as punishment :noidea:

Make it a full game. He'd make an awesome goalie. I mean, Billy Smith, Ron Hextall, Ray Emery, those guys were/are mean goalies, but none of them were goon goalies. I think the time is right - they say the enforcer/goon is a dying breed, but to me it seems they just haven't tapped into the guild yet.

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanny has kinda painted himself into a corner. Kaleta got ten for something that didn't result in an injury and wasn't even penalized in a game. And now it faces appeal.

So now a guy on the same team has caused injury with a charge and a head target that got a match penalty in game.

All while the entire hockey world is questioning the consistency.

Grab some popcorn folks.
Not to mention the fact that after the meager FIVE games they gave Maxim Lapierre for his hit, the NHL is now seen as not having the guts to issue more deserving penalties.

As for Kaleta, I never did like the "appeal" option, whatever the sport. If you don't want to be suspended, you shouldn't have done what you did in the first place.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention the fact that after the meager FIVE games they gave Maxim Lapierre for his hit, the NHL is now seen as not having the guts to issue more deserving penalties.

As for Kaleta, I never did like the "appeal" option, whatever the sport. If you don't want to be suspended, you shouldn't have done what you did in the first place.

So it's better to give the players no recourse at all if they believe they've received an unwarranted suspension?

:scratch:

forty_three

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's better to give the players no recourse at all if they believe they've received an unwarranted suspension?

:scratch:

This is getting interesting. Based on Kaleta's history, most would say 10 games was warranted.

But everything Shanny has done since indicates it was too harsh.

Time to make supplemental discipline a trio / Supreme court. One ex player (One with a brain like Linden or Gartner), one ex official and one ex-management type.

Gartner / Linden
Fraser / McCreary
Button / Mcguire

Shanny alone just does not have the wide scope view required to see all effects of his decisions.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting interesting. Based on Kaleta's history, most would say 10 games was warranted.

But everything Shanny has done since indicates it was too harsh.

Time to make supplemental discipline a trio / Supreme court. One ex player (One with a brain like Linden or Gartner), one ex official and one ex-management type.

Gartner / Linden
Fraser / McCreary
Button / Mcguire

Shanny alone just does not have the wide scope view required to see all effects of his decisions.

to me ... everything shanny has done since indicates they rely very heavily on repeat offender status

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC now NHL announces Commissioner Bettman upholds 10-game ban for Patrick Kaleta. He has one week to decide to appeal to arbitrator