• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm just kind of confused as to how you can put so much stock into the combine, yet at the same time be happy that one of your favorites doesn't do well. Wouldn't that imply that the combine isn't as important because the guy is obviously a good football player in spite of his measurables? Those two things just seem inconsistent to me is all.

Or did I miss something and you actually don't like Anthony Johnson and want to see him do poorly?

Anthony Johnson is on my radar, but he's so far down the line on my list that the only realistic way I'd want him to be the guy when the Niners pick is if he drops to the 4th round or lower. That's why I'm happy he's not doing great at the combine. It's all about bang for yer buck.

I'm not a big Aaron Lynch fan, but he could be a decent late-round project. Maybe Ronald Powell (if there's even room on the roster for another OLB).

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's unlikely someone will offer a 1st rounder in 2015 to move up, but if they do I say they should take it. They can always trade a later pick to move up from 56 if the guy they want is there around 40 or so.

With this draft being so deep, and especially strong between the late first through the second - it would be a good idea to make teams give up a premium over the draft chart with the later round kickers/next year picks.

So for the draft strategy - in addition to the obvious WR and CB needs, I'd really like to see them add a versatile NG in the 3rd or 4th round if possible, and also get a young QB around the 5th Rd. For the NG - D-line can take two years to develop, and Dorsey won't be around forever. Ian Williams looked good before he got hurt but he's not a lock for the future.

Adding another rookie ILB in the mid rounds to fill in until Bowman comes back would be ideal. Moody might work out but he was drafted as more of a ST's ace. A young slot receiver/punt returner should definitely be taken regardless of what's done in FA. Same for S. If they can't re-sign Whitner on the cheap, that's one position I'd like them to fill in FA so we don't have two young guys starting back there. But draft a rookie S for depth and see if he can knock Dahl off the team.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With this draft being so deep, and especially strong between the late first through the second - it would be a good idea to make teams give up a premium over the draft chart with the later round kickers/next year picks.

So for the draft strategy - in addition to the obvious WR and CB needs, I'd really like to see them add a versatile NG in the 3rd or 4th round if possible, and also get a young QB around the 5th Rd. For the NG - D-line can take two years to develop, and Dorsey won't be around forever. Ian Williams looked good before he got hurt but he's not a lock for the future.

Adding another rookie ILB in the mid rounds to fill in until Bowman comes back would be ideal. Moody might work out but he was drafted as more of a ST's ace. A young slot receiver/punt returner should definitely be taken regardless of what's done in FA. Same for S. If they can't re-sign Whitner on the cheap, that's one position I'd like them to fill in FA so we don't have two young guys starting back there. But draft a rookie S for depth and see if he can knock Dahl off the team.

no arguing the concept, cause you always TRY to plan ahead too. however, there is an issue of carrying so many players into the future? the practice squad can only do so much, as other teams can poach players off it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Suppose we do that. Watkins, Evans, Matthews, Cooks, Benjamin, Lee, Beckham are all off the board probably. Moncrief will possibly be gone by 56, possibly Landry too, so what receivers do you advocate us taking in that scenario?

It seems dangerous to pass up on all of that talent at a position of need.

I get your logic, but I'm just curious.

Since 1990, there is only one draft that saw seven WRs picked in the first round (2004). Are people really expecting seven guys to go in the first 29 picks? I just don't see it happening. It's not like this is a weak draft, but WR is abnormally strong. It is a very deep draft in general. It is possible that all the guys you list above will be gone by our pick, but I'm skeptical. And if they were, then we should absolutely go in a different direction. In your scenario, the worst thing we could do with our first pick is reach for a guy at the end of a run on the position.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Lee won't be a first round pick.

Beckham is right on the cusp. He might be.

I don't think Benjamin goes in round 1. I think he goes early 2nd.

Watkins, Cooks & Evans are locks in the first round IMO. Probably Matthews too when it's all said & done.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't agree with folks saying we need a small slot receiver. I mean, sure, we could use that. But what we really need is an outside deep threat. Boldin excels from the slot, Crabs fits it well, and Patton also looks like a good slot player. And the only team speed is coming from the TE position. What we are missing is speed on the outside.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Since 1990, there is only one draft that saw seven WRs picked in the first round (2004). Are people really expecting seven guys to go in the first 29 picks? I just don't see it happening. It's not like this is a weak draft, but WR is abnormally strong. It is a very deep draft in general. It is possible that all the guys you list above will be gone by our pick, but I'm skeptical. And if they were, then we should absolutely go in a different direction. In your scenario, the worst thing we could do with our first pick is reach for a guy at the end of a run on the position.

didn't go back to read but...............isn't he talking about IF we wait till our 2nd round pick, #56?

that would be 56 - 32 = 24 picks into the 2nd round. I would think another WR or two will go off the board in that span?

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Getting a versatile NG would allow us to cut a DE depth player like Eddie or even Dobbs. We can use an extra ILB with Bowman down. James didn't get it done. He's expendable and should be replaced with a new slot receiver who can return punts. Our backup QB's are terrible and it's a perfect time to draft one. There's room to add a S late to the backup competition. We could draft a new center, or if Killgore won the job we can draft another backup o-line for depth.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
didn't go back to read but...............isn't he talking about IF we wait till our 2nd round pick, #56?

that would be 56 - 32 = 24 picks into the 2nd round. I would think another WR or two will go off the board in that span?

Yeah, I may have misunderstood what he was saying. Seven or eight WRs in the first 56 picks is entirely possible. Even likely, this year.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Something I didn't notice about Loucheiz Purifoy: 32 3/4 inch arms.

Wow! For 5'11? That's better than having a 6'1 guy with 31 inch arms IMO because all a DB has to do is get a hand in there.

Too bad his film was lacking. Wonder where he'll go. If he's there in the 3rd I think the team would have to consider him.

Guys who could possibly be there in the 3rd round now (injuries, combine, etc):

Loucheiz Purifoy
Stephon Tuitt (probably early 2nd)
Marcus Martin
Marqise Lee
Travis Samsonite
Cyrus Kouandjio
Dominique Easley
Lamarcus Joyner
(probably mid 2nd)
EJ Gaines
Donte Moncrief
(probably mid 2nd)

That's insane talent for the 3rd round. Hope the Niners get at least a few of those guys.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't agree with folks saying we need a small slot receiver. I mean, sure, we could use that
. But what we really need is an outside deep threat. Boldin excels from the slot, Crabs fits it well, and Patton also looks like a good slot player. And the only team speed is coming from the TE position. What we are missing is speed on the outside.

We need a vertical threat, he doesn't necessarily have to be fast; if a-rob, m Bryant, Paul richardson, or Jordan Matthews
I'd be fine with any of them

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I honestly don't think the Niners are gonna get that vertical threat in this draft. The offense is gonna be more of the same IMO.

They have an opportunity to take the defense to another level though. W/ Tank, Lemonier, possibly a FA CB and a ton of secondary talent in the draft I think it's much more likely to improve the D than the O.

Not that I don't want a WR; I just think he's more likely to be Crabtree's eventual replacement than a deep threat kind of stretch the field guy. I could see ODB in SF for example.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with folks saying we need a small slot receiver. I mean, sure, we could use that. But what we really need is an outside deep threat. Boldin excels from the slot, Crabs fits it well, and Patton also looks like a good slot player. And the only team speed is coming from the TE position. What we are missing is speed on the outside.

Yep, which is why I am extremely high on Moncrief.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I honestly don't think the Niners are gonna get that vertical threat in this draft. The offense is gonna be more of the same IMO.

They have an opportunity to take the defense to another level though. W/ Tank, Lemonier, possibly a FA CB and a ton of secondary talent in the draft I think it's much more likely to improve the D than the O.

Not that I don't want a WR; I just think he's more likely to be Crabtree's eventual replacement than a deep threat kind of stretch the field guy. I could see ODB in SF for example.

Couldn't you argue that ODB is a deep threat? I get what you're saying about the offense not drastically changing next year. I kind of feel that way, too. I can see us taking a good wide receiver prospect, but I'm not sure it'll be one who can really take the top off of a defense. I do believe ODB has some deep threat abilities, though.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greg Robinson - T - Tigers

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that scouts are comparing Auburn T Greg Robinson to Hall-of-Famer Larry Allen.

"After watching Auburn OT Greg Robinson, some NFL scouts have compared him to former Cowboys Hall-of-Fame Larry Allen," Schefter tweeted. Like Larry Allen, Robinson is an absolute mauler when it comes to run blocking. He has the ability to dominate defensive lineman with brute force and has the athleticism to get to the second level. Our own Josh Norris believes that Robinson will be the first offensive lineman off the board.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Feb 24 - 10:37 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aaron Donald - DL - Panthers

Pittsburgh DT Aaron Donald is a possibility for the Cowboys' first-round pick, reports draft insider's Tony Pauline.

Pauline cites "word at the combine" as his source for the scuttlebutt around Dallas' No. 16 selection. Donald is a decent three technique fit with the Cowboys, who will likely use the draft to secure Jason Hatcher's replacement. Florida State's Timmy Jernigan has also been connected to the 'Boys, but we wonder if the Bears (No. 14) will beat them to the punch. Donald ran an official 4.68 forty at the NFL Combine. Rotoworld's Josh Norris tabs Donald a top-20 prospect. The 6-foot, 285-pounder, who led the nation in tackles for loss last season, won the Nagurski, Bednarik, Outland, Lombardi and ACC's defensive player of the year awards.
Source: DraftInsider.net

Feb 24 - 8:52 PM