• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The route by design is suppose to be easy, but I don't think he'd "excel". Not higher than league average IMO. The reason I think he'll fall short is that he doesn't have that explosion/suddenness to win out again and again.

If Dwayne Bowe can excel at it than Matthews certainly can.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
But he is open. He's 6'3" with long arms, strong hands, and outstanding ball skills. If you think guys like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall catch a lot of balls because they get separation off the initial break then you need to watch them again.

I learned my lesson when I underestimated Dez Bryant in college because he didn't always have a bunch of separation. Guess what: he didn't need a bunch of separation; he's gonna get the ball anyway & carry a defender 5 yards with him to the ground. Still liked Dez, but I didn't give him nearly the credit he deserved.

Matthews just measured at 6'3, 212 & 33+ inch arms & enormous hands. He's going to be able to get balls the Alshon Jeffery way at least. If he has even good speed times he'll probably go in the first round. If he has ok speed times I think he'll go from 30 to 50. If he comes out looking like a slug he'll probably drop to the 3rd (like Keenan Allen did). Either way he's going to be a good possession receiver at the very least IMO. In fact, I think Michael Crabtree is a realistic comparison to him in terms of production if he gets on even a decent offensive team. If he goes to the Raiders then good luck.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I learned my lesson when I underestimated Dez Bryant in college because he didn't always have a bunch of separation. Guess what: he didn't need a bunch of separation; he's gonna get the ball anyway & carry a defender 5 yards with him to the ground. Still liked Dez, but I didn't give him nearly the credit he deserved.

Matthews just measured at 6'3, 212 & 33+ inch arms & enormous hands. He's going to be able to get balls the Alshon Jeffery way at least. If he has even good speed times he'll probably go in the first round. If he has ok speed times I think he'll go from 30 to 50. If he comes out looking like a slug he'll probably drop to the 3rd (like Keenan Allen did). Either way he's going to be a good possession receiver at the very least IMO. In fact, I think Michael Crabtree is a realistic comparison to him in terms of production if he gets on even a decent offensive team. If he goes to the Raiders then good luck.

Dez Bryant is another perfect example. In fact, Dez Bryant isn't very fast/quick per say but he's open because he's so strong the point of attack and really knows how to use his body. That's Matthews.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dez Bryant is another perfect example. In fact, Dez Bryant isn't very fast/quick per say but he's open because he's so strong the point of attack and really knows how to use his body. That's Matthews.

So are you simply comparing Bryant's playing style to Matthews or are you comparing their huge upside?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So Cyrus Kouandjio failed his physicals. Could this push him into the 4th round like Lattimore? 3rd maybe?

Man there's a ton of tempting talent to nab & redshirt where the team doesn't need someone to play right away. Cyrus Kouandjio, isn't Antonio Richardson injured too? Dominique Easley of course. Even Seantrel Henderson is a tempting long-term project.

The Niners HAVE to get one of these tackles in the draft. They have to. It's too crazy deep.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Here's my wish list for Bradley Roby:

*Shorter than advertised
*Long arms
*does poorly in the 40 (like 4.5 or something).

That way maybe he'd drop to the 2nd round & the Niners could get him there. :hope:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some notable 40 times that I watched this morning:

Kelvin Benjamin 4.53
Martavis Bryant 4.34
John Brown 4.30
Odell Beckham 4.31
Brandin Cooks 4.30 and 4.30 on both attempts (damn, he's now a sure fire 1st rounder)
Mike Evans 4.47
Johnny Manziel 4.56
Bruce Ellington 4.31

These are all unofficial

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So are you simply comparing Bryant's playing style to Matthews or are you comparing their huge upside?

They're comparing Jordan Matthews to these superiorly physical guys, most that can break a defender in the open field, and they expect Matthews to have the same result despite sharing neither of those traits.

Martavis Bryant just ran a 4.34, 4.35 unofficially, so as I like to say, "I guess we know who joined the super saiyan club"

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They're comparing Jordan Matthews to these superiorly physical guys, most that can break a defender in the open field, and they expect Matthews to have the same result despite sharing neither of those traits.

Martavis Bryant just ran a 4.34, 4.35 unofficially, so as I like to say, "I guess we know who joined the super saiyan club"

With all due respect, Clyde's claim with regard to you not saying him play in college may be correct:

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With all due respect, Clyde's claim with regard to you not saying him play in college may be correct:

If you think he's in the same category as Dez Bryant or Brandon Marshall, and to a lesser extent Jefferies and Bowe, you may have not seen them play.

Also if you take a look at the metrics, Jordan Matthews YAC is the worst of the other 7-8(?) WRs he's compared to when you factor out all those screen plays

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If you think he's in the same category as Dez Bryant or Brandon Marshall, and to a lesser extent Jefferies and Bowe, you may have not seen them play.

Also if you take a look at the metrics, Jordan Matthews YAC is the worst of the other 7-8(?) WRs he's compared to when you factor out all those screen plays

You are reaching. No one says he's in the same category as these two. How do I sound if I were to say that he's in the same class as someone like Dez, when my 2014 WR ranking does not even have Matthews listed in my top 4??? #Failed

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both of you are forgetting A-Rob :L

Mike Evans }
Allen Robinson } These could all change over the weekend but these are my locks for top 3.
Sammy Watkins }
Martavis Bryant (assuming he runs under a 4.45)

You having Robinson ahead of Watkins beyond lunacy. Robinson sucks a$$.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You are reaching. No one says he's in the same category as these two. How do I sound if I were to say that he's in the same class as someone like Dez, when my 2014 WR ranking does not even have Matthews listed in my top 4??? #Failed

Dez and Marshall just don't compare well to Jordan Matthews. How am I reaching when it is you and Clyde saying they're similar players?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Holy shit Mike Evans & Beckham made some money today.

I may have to eat my words about Evans. Dude's lookin' like a monster at the combine, and his tape was great. I thought he was gonna be slow.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit Mike Evans & Beckham made some money today.

I may have to eat my words about Evans. Dude's lookin' like a monster at the combine, and his tape was great. I thought he was gonna be slow.

Moncrief killed it. I knew Watkins wasn't as fast as hyped.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Moncrief killed it. I knew Watkins wasn't as fast as hyped.

I saw that. I'm pissed. Now there's no way the Niners get him in the 3rd round. He was my draft crush must-have guy since last offseason.

Apparently the band Led Zeppelin was named after Marqise Lee's NFL combine experience. Because I don't remember the last time a guy's stock just crashed & burned like his did.

Still think he'll be pretty good though. This could be a good thing for whoever drafts him. Maybe the Niners could get him towards the end of the 2nd now???

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Nice! Jason Verrett came in at 5'9 189. That's sure to drop his stock. :)

Kyle Fuller at 6'0 & REALLY long arms for his height (just shy of 33'' wow). He's gonna be a first rounder.

Roby
(favourite) had about average arm length from what I can tell.

Lamarcus Joyner has the same length arms as Roby at 5'8. Good for him. Hope he chokes in the 40.

Justin Gilbert
with even longer arms than Fuller.

Victor Hampton at 5'9 won't help him get drafted high. He's a good prospect. Hope he slides far.

Nice arm length for Purifoy. Don't like his tape very much though. 3rd round maybe???

Short arms for Roberson.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Longest broad jump of all the WRs:

My guy Donte Moncrief!

He had the 3rd-highest vertical too, and he had the highest vertical of any of the highly-touted WRs. And he tied for the 2nd-highest 10-yard split. This dude is a future stud!

Too bad his stock got a huge boost. :(

On a random note: Marqise Lee had an atrocious combine, but he actually had a great vertical-leap # at 38.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that. I'm pissed. Now there's no way the Niners get him in the 3rd round. He was my draft crush must-have guy since last offseason.

Apparently the band Led Zeppelin was named after Marqise Lee's NFL combine experience. Because I don't remember the last time a guy's stock just crashed & burned like his did.

Still think he'll be pretty good though. This could be a good thing for whoever drafts him. Maybe the Niners could get him towards the end of the 2nd now???

Landry had an even worse combine. He would have been better off declining the invite haha