• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here ya go, Sick-

Marcus Martin Injury Update

Posted on December 3, 2013 by Scott Wolf

USC center Marcus Martin suffered a kneecap injury against UCLA that will sideline him about 2-3 months. He will not require surgery. It could mean he returns to USC for senior season though

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What does that even mean? So if he runs a 4.54, he hasn't peaked, but if he runs a 4.56, he's peaked? Did Larry Fitzgerald peak in college?

Fitz is one of the best route runners this league has seen. Jordan Matthews, contrary to popular belief, is not a good route runner. He's great at adjusting to the ball and attacking the ball. I'm not calling him a bust, but he's no #1 receiver and shouldn't be in a top 3 for this draft class.

Yes, Fitz did peak.

No, I'll just be surprised if he did.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fitz is one of the best route runners this league has seen. Jordan Matthews, contrary to popular belief, is not a good route runner. He's great at adjusting to the ball and attacking the ball. I'm not calling him a bust, but he's no #1 receiver and shouldn't be in a top 3 for this draft class.

Yes, Fitz did peak.

No, I'll just be surprised if he did.

Matthews is a GREAT route runner for a college player. I don't know who you're watching, honestly.

Moreover, not everything is about pure speed. For a guy that's 6'3 215 or so, he moves and run well an is a smooth athlete. He's a good route runner, REALLY good body control and ball skills, adjusts well, good hands.

But IF he runs slower than a 4.55, he's peaked. :laugh3:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jerry Rice ran between a 4.60 and 4.70 at the combine, depending on which account you believe...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Jerry Rice ran between a 4.60 and 4.70 at the combine, depending on which account you believe...

I'm not saying you're using this example to say the 40 is meaningless to evaluating WRs, but some people do. And it's ridiculous that they do.

It's kind of like saying Russell Wilson is 5'10, so height doesn't matter. Drew Brees has a weak arm, so arm strength doesn't matter. Desean Jackson is small, so weight doesn't matter. Etc.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I like Mike Mayock as a colour guy, but this is downright ridiculous: he said he's take Khalil Mack 1st overall.

This is called trying too hard to be original.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not saying you're using this example to say the 40 is meaningless to evaluating WRs, but some people do. And it's ridiculous that they do.

It's kind of like saying Russell Wilson is 5'10, so height doesn't matter. Drew Brees has a weak arm, so arm strength doesn't matter. Desean Jackson is small, so weight doesn't matter. Etc.

Its a great indicator, but you also have to factor in game day speed... I think the most important thing you need to look for is how much separation a WR can get, whether used with speed, discipline, or technique...

I'm not jumping into the specific argument on Mathews, just making a general statement...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'll be much more interested to see WRs' 10 yard splits, broad & vertical jumps than their 40 times. That goes for every other position too. But the 40 is probably the most important for WRs because they need long speed more than any other position. Safeties too (to a lesser extent).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Holy shit. Speaking of Jordan Matthews, he just put up 21 rep's on the bench. And he has really long arms.

Not that bench press matters much to WRs, but still. That's crazy. Matthews is getting closer & closer to making me have to hear Clyde say I told you so (Bingo too).

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matthews is a GREAT route runner for a college player. I don't know who you're watching, honestly.

Moreover, not everything is about pure speed. For a guy that's 6'3 215 or so, he moves and run well an is a smooth athlete. He's a good route runner, REALLY good body control and ball skills, adjusts well, good hands.

But IF he runs slower than a 4.55, he's peaked. :laugh3:

When the ball's in the air is when he does his damage, but there's no way you're convincing me he's a good route runner. I understand if you're making the assumption all possession receivers are good route runners, but there's no separation during his routes.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the ball's in the air is when he does his damage, but there's no way you're convincing me he's a good route runner. I understand if you're making the assumption all possession receivers are good route runners, but there's no separation during his routes.

Again, I have no idea what you're watching.

1. In the SEC, with mediocre at best QB play, and you're the only weapon on your offense, you're never gonna get separation.

2. The fact that he does damage despite getting "no separation" like you said bodes well for him actually, since you know, most of the receivers are not gonna see as much separation at the next level as well.

3. He IS a good route runner, and he's savvy in terms of finding soft spots in the zone and coordinating/communicating with his QB while on the field.

He's not a "can't miss" WR type, but he's all around solid and I think is a guy that can be apart s of group and be a go-to guy in certain situations. Much more than most of the other WRs in this class.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Players I don't think will be there:

With Brandin Cooks' great measurements & what I'm sure will be blazing speed times I don't think he's going to be around when the Niners are on the clock. Most people had him going around 30 to 45 this year, but I think after the combine he's going to be a top 25 guy. Probably top 20.

Hageman & Tuitt will probably be gone by 30 too. Don't want to trade up for anyone in this draft not named Clowney, so I'm going to try to forget them.

I think Aaron Donald will be gone too.

Nix will be gone, but that one's obvious.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players I don't think will be there:

With Brandin Cooks' great measurements & what I'm sure will be blazing speed times I don't think he's going to be around when the Niners are on the clock. Most people had him going around 30 to 45 this year, but I think after the combine he's going to be a top 25 guy. Probably top 20.

Hageman & Tuitt will probably be gone by 30 too. Don't want to trade up for anyone in this draft not named Clowney, so I'm going to try to forget them.

I think Aaron Donald will be gone too.

Nix will be gone, but that one's obvious.

Don't say that! Cooks WILL be there at 30!

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Again, I have no idea what you're watching.

1. In the SEC, with mediocre at best QB play, and you're the only weapon on your offense, you're never gonna get separation.

2. The fact that he does damage despite getting "no separation" like you said bodes well for him actually, since you know, most of the receivers are not gonna see as much separation at the next level as well.

3. He IS a good route runner, and he's savvy in terms of finding soft spots in the zone and coordinating/communicating with his QB while on the field.

He's not a "can't miss" WR type, but he's all around solid and I think is a guy that can be apart s of group and be a go-to guy in certain situations. Much more than most of the other WRs in this class.

3.) Is not exactly an example of good route running, it's more field awareness. Sure, it plays a factor in route running, but I'm not expecting him to beat his guy on a slant or comeback route in my pre snap read. The game looks pretty difficult for him at the college level, obviously it will get harder. Carta Samuels a good QB for college football. 45% of his receptions are screens. With the plethora of talent at WR this year, Matthews just doesn't have enough luster to be a 1st or 2nd round guy for the 49ers.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3.) Is not exactly an example of good route running, it's more field awareness. Sure, it plays a factor in route running, but I'm not expecting him to beat his guy on a slant or comeback route in my pre snap read. The game looks pretty difficult for him at the college level, obviously it will get harder. Carta Samuels a good QB for college football. 45% of his receptions are screens. With the plethora of talent at WR this year, Matthews just doesn't have enough luster to be a 1st or 2nd round guy for the 49ers.

Anyone can beat their guy on a slant or comeback, those definitely have a high degree of field awareness as you have to set your defender up on a hitch or comeback route, the slant is more of a quick hitting route that involves one explosive move and using your body to shield the defender from the ball (Dwayne Bowe has made a career off of this route). The tougher routes are more of your post corner routes, box in routes, double moves, etc. I have no doubt that Matthews would certainly excel at the two routes that you have mentioned.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone can beat their guy on a slant or comeback, those definitely have a high degree of field awareness as you have to set your defender up on a hitch or comeback route, the slant is more of a quick hitting route that involves one explosive move and using your body to shield the defender from the ball (Dwayne Bowe has made a career off of this route). The tougher routes are more of your post corner routes, box in routes, double moves, etc. I have no doubt that Matthews would certainly excel at the two routes that you have mentioned.

The route by design is suppose to be easy, but I don't think he'd "excel". Not higher than league average IMO. The reason I think he'll fall short is that he doesn't have that explosion/suddenness to win out again and again.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Field awareness has A LOT to do with HOW you run your routes, where you lead your routes, and when to adjust your routes.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In his breaks he's not getting open is my point.

But he is open. He's 6'3" with long arms, strong hands, and outstanding ball skills. If you think guys like Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and Brandon Marshall catch a lot of balls because they get separation off the initial break then you need to watch them again.