• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Paul Richardson - WR - Buffaloes

Colorado WR Paul Richardson "should produce one of the best [40-yard dash] times at the combine," writes NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Richardson was a track star in high school, and evaluators anticipate that he'll put on a show in quickness drills. "Though he has a very thin build, Richardson is an explosive athlete who bursts off the line of scrimmage in his release and can find another gear once the ball is in the air," wrote Jeremiah. "He has been compared to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, who has a similar frame and explosiveness. I don't think Richardson is quite as polished as Jackson as a route-runner, but I do believe he can match Jackson's top speed." Richardson's slender frame (6-foot-1, 170 pounds) and durability both detract from his stock, but we love his aforementioned home run speed and big-play ability.
Source: NFL.com

Feb 19 - 4:26 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
De'Anthony Thomas - RB - Ducks

Oregon RB/WR De'Anthony Thomas employs "legitimate track speed," according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

The burner averaged 7.8 yards per carry with the Ducks and collected four touchdowns on kick returns. Thomas competed on the Oregon track team and ran the fastest 200 meter time (20.61 seconds) by a high school athlete in 2010. "It wouldn't surprise anyone in the scouting community if Thomas ended up posting the fastest time in Indy," wrote Jeremiah.

Feb 19 - 4:11 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandin Cooks - WR - Beavers

Brandin Cooks set the Oregon State record with a 6.81 second 60-meter dash in 2012.

"His suddenness was easy to spot when I studied him on tape," wrote NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah. "Everyone in Corvallis, Ore., has told NFL scouts that Cooks is going to test much better than former Beavers receiver Markus Wheaton, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.45 seconds at last year's combine before being drafted in the third round by the Pittsburgh Steelers. I think Cooks has a legitimate shot at running a sub-4.40 40." That type of speed and playmaking ability has drawn Cooks comparisons to both Victor Cruz and Steve Smith. Cooks, the 2013 Biletnikoff Award winner as the nation's most outstanding wide receiver, could slot into the latter portion of the first round.

Feb 19 - 3:53 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dri Archer - RB - Golden Flashes

Kent State OW Dri Archer was "one of the most explosive players in the country" when healthy, according to NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Archer's injury-plagued 2013 campaign hurt his draft stock (he ran for 1,429 yards during his junior season and fell to 527 in 2013), but scouts haven't forgotten about him. Archer is one of the few players that could realistically win the 40-yard dash competition at this year's NFL Scouting Combine. Archer beat former Michigan quarterback and current Jacksonville Jaguars running back Denard Robinson in the 100-meter final of the Florida high school state track meet; Robinson ran a 4.43 40-yard dash at last year's combine. Archer said this week that his goal is to break Chris Johnson's combine record of a 4.24-second 40-yard time, set at the 2008 combine.

Feb 19 - 3:29 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Justin Gilbert - DB - Cowboys

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes Oklahoma State's Justin Gilbert could log the fastest 40-yard dash time at the NFL's combine.

Jeremiah polled scouts and executives about the fastest prospects in the draft, and he passes along that Gilbert's name was mentioned most often. "He's a very big cornerback, checking in at 6-foot, 200 pounds -- and still, it's easy to notice his breakaway speed in the return game and his make-up speed in coverage," wrote Jeremiah. "To use a scouting term, Gilbert has 'easy speed.' He doesn't labor when he runs and he picks up ground in a hurry. He's expected to run in the mid-to-low 4.3s." Gilbert led the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013. He's projected to go in the first round of May's draft.

Feb 19 - 3:13 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock called the 2014 class the deepest and best in the last decade.

Mayock added that he has had that confirmed by scouts and general managers around the NFL. One decision maker apparently told Mayock having a top 20 pick in this draft is equivalent to a top 10 pick in 2013. We don't believe in a draft being "bad," especially for how often that term is thrown out by fans. Talent is there, teams just have to find it.
Source: Joe Person on Twitter

Feb 18 - 2:07 PM

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Paul Richardson - WR - Buffaloes

Colorado WR Paul Richardson "should produce one of the best [40-yard dash] times at the combine," writes NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah.

Richardson was a track star in high school, and evaluators anticipate that he'll put on a show in quickness drills. "Though he has a very thin build, Richardson is an explosive athlete who bursts off the line of scrimmage in his release and can find another gear once the ball is in the air," wrote Jeremiah. "He has been compared to Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson, who has a similar frame and explosiveness. I don't think Richardson is quite as polished as Jackson as a route-runner, but I do believe he can match Jackson's top speed." Richardson's slender frame (6-foot-1, 170 pounds) and durability both detract from his stock, but we love his aforementioned home run speed and big-play ability.

Feb 19 - 4:26 PM

I said it during the season, his college game compares to Josh Gordon(Not that he compares to him), but when you watched the Buffs there was only 1 player that needed attention. Richardson on the consistent basis would score from +30 yards out. I think he'll run something more like a 4.45, but if he runs in the 4.3 range I would have to consider him a top 50 player.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'll accept that as an excuse, but I'm still skeptical. I would not touch him until the early 3rd.

Stephon Tuitt - DL - Player

Notre Dame DE Stephon Tuitt has shed 25 pounds since the end of the college season, training at IMG Academy.

A projected first- or second-round pick, Tuitt played his final college season at around 325 pounds. He currently weighs "a little over 300." Tuitt registered 12 sacks in 2012 and 7.5 last year for the Fighting Irish. He blames the dip in sacks on increased weight brought on by a sports hernia surgery that affected Tuitt's conditioning. At 6-foot-6, 300, Tuitt is a 3-4 defensive end prospect.
Source: ESPN.com

Feb 19 - 8:48 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ra'Shede Hageman - DL - Golden Gophers

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock is unnerved by the inconsistency of Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman.

Mayock urges that any Hageman evaluation must consider both his enormous upside, but also his troubling propensity to "disappear for three quarters" in some games. The draft expert says Hageman looks like a first-round pick in some contests, and a fifth- or sixth-rounder in others.

Feb 19 - 5:12 PM

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Ra'Shede Hageman - DL - Golden Gophers

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock is unnerved by the inconsistency of Minnesota DL Ra'Shede Hageman.

Mayock urges that any Hageman evaluation must consider both his enormous upside, but also his troubling propensity to "disappear for three quarters" in some games. The draft expert says Hageman looks like a first-round pick in some contests, and a fifth- or sixth-rounder in others.

Feb 19 - 5:12 PM

The upside and athleticism are obviously appealing, but I get flashbacks to freaking Kentwan Balmer when I hear things like that. It might not be fair to Hageman, but still.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The upside and athleticism are obviously appealing, but I get flashbacks to freaking Kentwan Balmer when I hear things like that. It might not be fair to Hageman, but still.

:agree:

As far as I am concerned, it is a legitimate concern considering that they have very parallel paths to the NFL with almost identical scouting reports.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have a feeling most people are going to think Jason Verrett is the best rookie CB this year. The dude is extremely polished for a college CB. His coverage skills are second to none in this class. The only question I have about him is his size (kind of like with Tyrann Matthieu minus being a druggie).

Since the Niners are already good maybe Verrett would be a better fit than Bradley Roby, who's a lot more raw but has a higher ceiling.

Maybe. The weigh-in will be the most important part of the combine for Verrett IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense if the Niners do the exact opposite of what most people want 'em to do in this draft (trade down). I still would love to get Roby, but it might be a better idea to go after a bunch of high-ceiling players who might bust than one really high-ceiling player who might bust. There's just way too much talent in the middle of the draft to pass up.

Guys like EJ Gaines, Seantrel Henderson, Donte Moncrief & Dominique Easley just pose too much value to pass up IMO. And then there are some players who could be had in the 2nd or 3rd rounds who might even be able to start from day 1 like Lamarcus Joyner & Marcus Martin.

I also think Jason Verrett could start from day 1. He's really polished, as I said in the previous post.

If the Niners got a bunch of prospects like these guys, that could make it easier to just go after the best prospect in future drafts regardless of need & give the talent level a shot of adrenaline. And they would have a backup plan in a few years in case certain players didn't re-sign like RayMac & Staley. If the Niners can get 2 starters in the draft, they could easily spend the money on big-name CB to put the defense over the top IMO. I like the odds of having a bunch of picks who might be winning lottery tickets over the odds of one guy with a slightly higher chance of being a winning lottery ticket. But of course things could change if these players' stocks rise. Hoping they don't. :hope:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This one is for you Sick. CBS SPORTS NFL DRAFT
Fuller would still be available.

Now that is starting to look more realistic. Stephon Tuitt one pick ahead of the Niners would be like Richard Seymour 1 pick ahead of Andre Carter, but at least the CBs would still be there in that scenario.

I'd expect Derek Carr to drop & Aaron Donald to rise.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Just discovered Dallas beat Baltimore in a coin flip (one of the few victories Cowboys' fans have enjoyed lately), so Dallas picks 16th & Baltimore picks 17th.

Sources say Tony Romo was not allowed in the room during the coin flip. That explains the victory IMO.

Now Jerry Jones can screw up an even higher pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be happy with drafting a CB in the first round, despite the conversations in other threads about what type of receiver we would want. It seems to me that our last two playoff losses in the Super Bowl and against Seattle boiled down to some bad CB play, whether it was pervasive (the super bowl), or a singular just mind boggling play (the 4th down offsides td pass in the NFC Championship). Either way, Seattle convinced me that defense really does win championships and we need a top notch secondary.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just discovered Dallas beat Baltimore in a coin flip (one of the few victories Cowboys' fans have enjoyed lately), so Dallas picks 16th & Baltimore picks 17th.

Sources say Tony Romo was not allowed in the room during the coin flip. That explains the victory IMO.

Now Jerry Jones can screw up an even higher pick.

I thought Jerry Jones was going to defer.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd be happy with drafting a CB in the first round, despite the conversations in other threads about what type of receiver we would want. It seems to me that our last two playoff losses in the Super Bowl and against Seattle boiled down to some bad CB play, whether it was pervasive (the super bowl), or a singular just mind boggling play (the 4th down offsides td pass in the NFC Championship). Either way, Seattle convinced me that defense really does win championships and we need a top notch secondary.

Completely agree. When I was playing around with the mock draft simulator, I found myself preferring defense over offense. It just seems more logical to focus on the secondary for this draft.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

By the way, if Roby, Verrett, Fuller, Donald, Cooks, Joyner, Trent Murphy, Beckham & Shazier were all on the board I would take Roby at this point; but that's some good value to trade down if the opportunity presented itself.