• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally would feel comfortable getting in in the early 20s. So if he happens to be there in the 2nd round, it would be borderline negligent on our part not to trade up for him at that spot. He would be considered a huge steal for the team that is lucky enough to get in the early 2nd. So to answer your question, if he is available (30th) I don't think we should be cute about it and simply draft him. However, here is the dilemma, I don't think we will end up with the 30th pick. I see us trading up to draft a very good player that plays a position that represents a bigger need (CB). A move similar to last year; with the exception of us making another attempt in moving back in the late first to draft B. Cooks.

Maybe trading up to draft Justin Gilbert and possibly trading up again in the late first or early second and taking B. Cooks. That would an ideal scenario. That would fill the Niners biggest need at CB and Cooks would help out returning punts.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like him too. Cooks and Moncrief are my two favorite Wrs that I believe both fit a need and that we will have a shot at getting. If we could get a good cb like Gilbert, Roberson or even Roby, one of those two receivers and buccanon then id be happy.

He's overrated IMHO. He's a hitter but I'm so afraid of his lack of top end speed. Will be an issue when asked to cover man to man in our scheme. Though it is rare for the SS to be in man. He might still be available in the 4th. A lot of better options to choose from:

Jimmie Ward - DB - Huskies

NFL.com's Mike Huguenin deemed NIU S Jimmie Ward "probably the No. 1 strong safety on numerous draft boards."

Ward can "can solidify that spot with a strong combine," Huguenin believes. "Ward (5-foot-10, 191 pounds) played in the shadow of NIU QB Jordan Lynch but is a vastly better pro prospect. He is more quick than fast, but his 40 time still bears watching." Ward, a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award last season, given annually to the nation's top defensive back, is so skilled in coverage that he often lined up in the slot.
Source: NFL.com

Feb 16 - 6:00 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's overrated IMHO. He's a hitter but I'm so afraid of his lack of top end speed. Will be an issue when asked to cover man to man in our scheme. Though it is rare for the SS to be in man. He might still be available in the 4th. A lot of better options to choose from:

NFL.com's Mike Huguenin deemed NIU S Jimmie Ward "probably the No. 1 strong safety on numerous draft boards."

Ward can "can solidify that spot with a strong combine," Huguenin believes. "Ward (5-foot-10, 191 pounds) played in the shadow of NIU QB Jordan Lynch but is a vastly better pro prospect. He is more quick than fast, but his 40 time still bears watching." Ward, a semifinalist for the Jim Thorpe Award last season, given annually to the nation's top defensive back, is so skilled in coverage that he often lined up in the slot.

Our coaches seem to like the hard hitting safeties. I would be open to hearing more of Ward as admittedly I haven't seen much of him.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh Shit!!! This cat's skill set is off the charts in these highlights. I never heard of him until now. Hello Mr. Ward.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might have to pull the trigger early on him. I also like Brandon Cooks in the 2nd. It is going to be a stressful draft due to our draft position.

I like Cooks too. Reminds me a lot of Steve Smith. Lots of toughness that makes up for his lack of height.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh Shit!!! This cat's skill set is off the charts in these highlights. I never heard of him until now. Hello Mr. Ward.

Several posters/regulars have gone on record saying that this safety class is below average. I think this class is very solid IMO. Even when Pryor and Ha-Ha are off the board in the first, I think teams can still find some pretty solid prospects (eventual starters within their 1st and 2nd year in the league) to play for them and play well.

2014 NFL Draft: Highlighting the Top 10 Safeties | Bleacher Report

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Justin Gilbert - DB - Cowboys

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert's technique and footwork are wild.

"CB Justin Gilbert has the length, speed and ballskills to start in the NFL, but technique/footwork gets wild, playing too much on his heels," Brugler tweeted. Even though Gilbert has remained a bit lax with his technique, it didn't stop him from leading the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013. Gilbert is still projected to go in the first-round of the draft.
Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Feb 16 - 10:49 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Carl Bradford - DL - Sun Devils

One Arizona State assistant coach told CBS Sports' Dane Brugler that edge player Carl Bradford was "easily" the top athlete on the team.

"He should test well in vertical and broad jump with his lower body explosion," Brugler tweeted, adding that he views Bradford as a top 20 prospect. The Sun Devil had an issue or two during his 2013 season but exhibited a good motor to chase down plays form the backside and flashed hand use to beat tackles a the point of attack.

Feb 17 - 10:25 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Troy Niklas - TE - Fighting Irish

ESPN's Mel Kiper believes Notre Dame's Troy Niklas can challenge for the No. 2 TE spot in the 2014 class.

"Niklas has solidified his status as a potential first-round pick and even a potential challenger to be the second tight end taken," Kiper writes. "His blocking ability is ahead of Ebron's and Amaro's, but I think he's athletic enough to be split out or work in the slot consistently." Niklas currently sits as Kiper's No. 3 tight end. He was asked to frequently stay in as a pass protector, but Niklas can be freed as a receiver at the next level.
Source: ESPN

Feb 17 - 10:46 AM

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Justin Gilbert - DB - Cowboys

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Oklahoma State CB Justin Gilbert's technique and footwork are wild.

"CB Justin Gilbert has the length, speed and ballskills to start in the NFL, but technique/footwork gets wild, playing too much on his heels," Brugler tweeted. Even though Gilbert has remained a bit lax with his technique, it didn't stop him from leading the Big 12 with six interceptions in 2013. Gilbert is still projected to go in the first-round of the draft.

Feb 16 - 10:49 PM

Don't people realize technique is like kind of important to playing the CB position? I remember when Patrick Peterson came out and people were saying he was going to be a Deion Sanders type corner from day one and his rookie year all he did was get burned. I had him as a first rounder because of his raw talent, ball skills, and plus size, but I thought the Cardinals shouldn't have taken him at five.

Sidenote: Only 3 players in the top 16 of that draft didn't make the pro bowl; Jake Locker, Blaine Gabby, and Nick Fairley (Who is likely to make a pro bowl)

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
1. Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State
2. Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State
3. Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
4. Jason Verrett, TCU
5. Bradley Roby, Ohio State

Mayock's top 5

My top 5

1. Darqueze Dennard
2. Bashaud Breeland
3. Kyle Fuller
4. Loucheiz Purifoy
5. Pierre Desir

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I remember when Patrick Peterson came out and people were saying he was going to be a Deion Sanders type corner from day one

What moron said that? Anyone who says anybody is going to be a Deion Sanders type CB from day 1 is clueless. Nobody's ever been a Deion Sanders type CB even as a veteran since... well since Deion Sanders.

Of course nobody actually said that, so it's a moot point. But Peterson has the most potential of any CB since Deion, and one could make an argument he's already the best CB in the NFL.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What moron said that? Anyone who says anybody is going to be a Deion Sanders type CB from day 1 is clueless. Nobody's ever been a Deion Sanders type CB even as a veteran since... well since Deion Sanders.

Of course nobody actually said that, so it's a moot point. But Peterson has the most potential of any CB since Deion, and one could make an argument he's already the best CB in the NFL.

I don't know that someone could make that argument. As much as I hate him, Sherman is just better.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Probably just an extreme opinion that stands out, but many people thought he'd at least be GOOD his rookie year. People had him down as a polished corner. No way he's the best in the NFL today? as Sherman is undoubtedly the best. IMO, then it goes Talib, Revis, and a toss up between Haden and Peterson.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know that someone could make that argument. As much as I hate him, Sherman is just better.

I would agree Sherman had a better season, but he can't light up a dude like Peterson can. So I think it's at least reasonable to include Peterson in the discussion.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree Sherman had a better season, but he can't light up a dude like Peterson can. So I think it's at least reasonable to include Peterson in the discussion.

Neither could Deion but they are both still better. Sherman is by far and away the best cover man in the game.

Not saying that Peterson couldn't be in the conversation for #2 though (even though I don't think he is)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Probably just an extreme opinion that stands out, but many people thought he'd at least be GOOD his rookie year. People had him down as a polished corner. No way he's the best in the NFL today? as Sherman is undoubtedly the best. IMO, then it goes Talib, Revis, and a toss up between Haden and Peterson.

CBs are rarely good their rookie seasons. And Peterson came out as a junior.

I'm a huge fan of Bradley Roby, but the best I would expect him to possibly be is an average CB as a rookie. If he could be as good as Terrell Brown by the end of the season he'd be doing pretty well IMO.