• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Murphy is gonna do well in the pros.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'd rather continue building depth. As great as Clowney could be on the same side or opposite Aldon and as great as Watkins could be opposite Crabtree, I'd rather see Roberson, Cooks and Loston or Murphy, Stork, Hampton and Ward. If anything, I'd love to see the Niners grab more second and third rounders to take:

Marcus Roberson, Brandin Cooks, Trent Murphy, Craig Loston, Bryan Stork, Odell Beckham, Jr., Jimmie Ward and Victor Hampton. After a few departures, there should be room for them on the roster. If not, go for more picks next year. It's a nice position for a franchise to be in.

I am not gonna lie.. that is a terrible looking draft outside of Beckham and Roberson

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would much rather see

1: Kyle Fuller
2: Jordan Matthews
2: Easley
3: Daquan Jones NT
3: Weston Richburg C
3: Antone Exum
4: Brandon Linder, G/OT Mia
5: Aaron Colvin
6-7: bpa

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
from the looks of it, I am expecting Fuller to end up in the end of the first round discussion

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want us to draft at least one of Roberson/Purifoy/Easley

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want us to draft at least one of Roberson/Purifoy/Easley

Out of that group, I like Roberson the best. Roberson is excellent in coverage and will only get better, his length is a great asset. Easley seems like he would be a solid fit for our defense but I'm definitely not as high on him as others.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 NFL Draft: Who Might Pursue Houston Texans #1 Pick? - NFL Mocks - 2013 NFL Mock Draft, Fantasy Football, NFL News, and NFL Mock Draft Databases

San Francisco 49ers

What a surprise this would be. From a logical standpoint it’s highly unlikely that the San Francisco 49ers would jump from #30 all the way to #1 for a player. Yet it can’t be dismissed that they have the ammunition to do so. Among eleven overall picks with an additional compensatory fourth expected, San Francisco holds extra second and third round picks in their inventory. The Houston Texans might find it hard to pass up such a wealth of selections even if it meant moving back to #30. At the same time such a move would clearly signal the 49ers are going all in to dethrone Seattle, and a talent like Clowney together with Aldon Smith and Justin Smith would be downright unfair.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still want us to go get him

If Watkins and Clowney remain relatively healthy, I have no doubt that they will be Hall of Famers. For me, they would certainly be the only two players worth trading that many picks, but I want to see at least 2 CBs, 2 WRs, C, S and DL. If those players are going to be close to starter quality, the Niners would have to keep their picks. I would still understand the jump, though.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Murphy is gonna do well in the pros.

I think of him as cover for McDonald while Carradine is cover for J. Smith. You don't think DE opposite "the Smith side" is good scheme fit for him? Or you think it won't matter and his college career was a mirage or his measurables won't be very impressive? He looks to me like a guy that will put on 25 more pounds without losing much quickness.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He looks to me like a guy that will put on 25 more pounds without losing much quickness.

I don't see how you could possibly say that about anyone. I don't care if a guy's 6'7 230; how can you possibly know if he can put on 25 pounds without losing quickness? That makes no sense.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how you could possibly say that about anyone. I don't care if a guy's 6'7 230; how can you possibly know if he can put on 25 pounds without losing quickness? That makes no sense.

You can say that by viewing technique and footwork. Laterally, Murphy has never impressed me, so I don't think OLB will be his best position. His acceleration (north to south) was enough to get by some average to above average college lineman, but the improved foes and anticipated added weight could weaken his effectiveness. Furthermore, in my football playing and viewing experience, I have more faith in a guy that is over 6'3" and in the mid-200s to put on 20-30 lbs without taking a substantial hit to their shuttle or 40. Anyone shorter, less technical or already up in weight at the lower competition level tends to lose some explosion with added girth.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
There are so many players I want from around the mid-2nd round to the 4th & maybe even 5th round in this draft I hope the Niners just keep trading down. Let's revisit the CBs in this draft.

EJ Gaines is quickly becoming one of my man-crushes in this draft. Nobody seems to talk about him (which is a good thing), and most people have him going around the 4th. That is RIDICULOUS value.

Louichez Purifoy... this guy's a bit of an enigma. On one hand he looks just like a bunch of highly-picked CBs who have been busts in the NFL. Ahmad Carroll comes to mind (Pozz & I loved him). He has great speed & quickness, but he seems to give up a lot of receptions. Especially with the guy close to him. And he's not great at backpedaling. I'm just not sure he's al that great at fighting for the football. However, his athletic ability / ability to return kicks is tempting (especially if he falls to the end of the 2nd round or even the 3rd). I don't like him as much as I liked David Amerson last year, and Amerson was taken 51st overall.

How high will Jason Varret go? I've seen him ranked anywhere from the 20's to the 3rd round this year. He's simply a better cover CB than Purifoy. But he's listed at 176 pounds. That's REALLY small for a defensive player. He can't fight off blocks very well. He's a willing tackler, but will get hurt at the pro' level at his size?

I'm starting to come around on Marcus Roberson. I think he's a better prospect than Purifoy. I used to have Purifoy ahead of Roberson, but Roberson I'm realizing Roberson is better at staying within striking distance of the receiver. He's a good prospect, and I might even like him more than any CB in the 2013 draft class (I wasn't huge on that CB class). Although Milliner started to play pretty well towards the end of the year last season; but then again, Milliner was taken 9th overall. If Roberson is a 2nd-round pick like I'm seeing people rank him, he'd be a steal.

Kyle Fuller has just about everything you want in a CB. I have a feeling his stock is gonna rise & he'll be priced out of the Niners' range. :(

Then there's Stanley Jean-Baptise & Lamarcus Joyner. I like 'em both as FS prospects, but at this point I like Joyner more. Joyner could start for the Niners his first game IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Furthermore, in my football playing and viewing experience, I have more faith in a guy that is over 6'3" and in the mid-200s to put on 20-30 lbs without taking a substantial hit to their shuttle or 40.

Listen to what you're saying. That's like saying a guy who drops 20 to 30 pounds won't get any faster.

I'm almost never an advocate of players adding weight in the NFL. It almost always makes 'em less quick, flexible, etc. I'd rather have leaner muscle than a bunch of pumped up guys who are putting too much stress on their bodies.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen to what you're saying. That's like saying a guy who drops 20 to 30 pounds won't get any faster.

I'm almost never an advocate of players adding weight in the NFL. It almost always makes 'em less quick, flexible, etc. I'd rather have leaner muscle than a bunch of pumped up guys who are putting too much stress on their bodies.

You can stop with the opening condescending remarks. I know what I typed, and if I didn't believe it, I wouldn't type it.

At 6'6," Trent Murphy weighing 285 isn't too much stress on his body. It's more than he should put on if he wants to become a particle physicist, but he can take ten years of being a little bulky to play professional football at an above average level. Furthermore, I didn't say that adding 20 lbs. wouldn't slow him down a little. Obviously, you know that when weight is added at the NFL level, a lot of it is muscle. Some of that muscle is on the lower body and can assist in moving that extra weight at a similar rate of speed.

Conversely, of course players can drop weight to get faster, so please don't put words in my mouth to suit your incorrect conclusions about what I mean. That said, due to the loss of some muscle tone, it isn't as effective as a player that needs to gain weight to fit a position that better suits their attributes. There are speed drills and plyometrics that would work much better than a simple "lose 20 pounds" diet and exercise routine. So, though, I do believe adding or subtracting 20 pounds can make a player slightly slower or faster, the impact is less on a bigger frame, and as far as Trent Murphy's potential NFL career, he will have much more success attempting to add weight while monitoring quickness and working a 3 and 4 technique over the next few months than trying to improve his speed and OLB drops and pursuit angles.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You can stop with the opening condescending remarks. I know what I typed, and if I didn't believe it, I wouldn't type it.

Condescending? :scratch: Wow people are getting sensitive these days...

9 times out of 10 wrestlers & boxers try to cut weight rather than add weight. A player with a bunch of natural bulk who gets leaner is better than a smaller guy who tries to add muscle. The former will move much more fluidly.

I know it's not going to kill Murphy to add 20 to 30 pounds. And he's a decent pro' prospect. But a 300 pounder who loses 20 pounds is probably going to have a big advantage over him physically.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come on Sick, I think I've seen you suggest that a guy gain weight and switch positions every draft.

As for guys gaining weight (25 lbs is pushing it for sure) and not losing much quickness, it is certainly possible, it all depends on how you work out. A player can continue to build lean muscle while continuing to work their fast twitch muscles. It certainly isn't ideal but it is possible. I do think that guys like Tank need to put on a little weight to play in our scheme, he'll likely be taking Ray Mac's spot in the future.

I'm not taking a side in this argument about this particular player, I'm just saying that it is possible (not probable) to gain weight and no lose speed or quickness.