• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jadeveon Clowney - DL - Gamecocks

USA Today's Tom Pelissero spoke with one NFL executive who is certain that South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney has not negatively impacted his evaluation thus far in 2013.

"Nah, no one will care," an executive in personnel said. "If he's healthy, works out well and most importantly interviews well, it won't hurt him." Another high ranking official added, "no one cares. He's injured." This comes on the heels of many questioning, or even bashing, Clowney for his lack of statistical impact this season, as well as choosing to sit out last weekend's game against Kentucky.
Source: USA Today

Oct 7 - 12:21 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Tuitt and nose tackle Louis Nixx III have been disappointments this season.
Source: USA Today

Oct 7 - 9:34 AM

Tuitt has, but I totally disagree that Nix has been a disappointment. He's played well IMO.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anthony Barr - LB - Bruins

Former GM Phil Savage believes UCLA senior OLB Anthony Barr is "emerging as (the) country's top defensive player."

Savage mainly deals with senior prospects, since he is now in charge of the Senior Bowl, but this obviously means he has been more impressed with Barr than Jadeveon Clowney. We always like to point out how new Barr is to the defensive side of the ball, with this only being his second season as an edge rusher. His bend, burst, and closing speed around the corner is ridiculous, but he can also look back inside.
Source: Phil Savage on Twitter

Oct 7 - 1:58 PM

Anthony Barr - LB - Bruins

NFL.com's Gil Brandt would choose UCLA senior OLB Anthony Barr over South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney if the draft were held today.

"Clowney's not a one-play wonder. He has a lot of really good tape from his first two seasons at South Carolina," Brandt writes. "But I'm not sure if it were May 8, and I was directing the draft for a team with a top pick, that I wouldn't take UCLA LB Anthony Barr over Clowney. Forget all the talk about his commitment; I'm strictly talking about his play on the field." The distinction is important, as much of the criticism has been focused on Clowney's "attitude," but Brandt is strictly speaking about the defensive end's tape.
Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Oct 7 - 3:15 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does anyone else get the impression Jadaveon Clowney is Aldon Smith Jr. in that he's just partying his ass off? Like really, really bad?

The first game of the season, he had "flu-like symptoms" which is code for hung over. Now he sits out a game with "bruised ribs," which is probably code for hung over. Spurrier seemed pissed that Clowney wasn't playing. And not pissed because he was missing a great player; he seemed pissed AT Clowney.

I know I'm speculating, but draft talk is 100% speculation anyway. It's pretty much one's best educated guess. And Clowney seems to me like a drug addict or at least an alcoholic.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was thinking about this kid too the other day. I remembered the game he played two years ago against Baylor. He and RGIII were going at it. You can make an argument that he outplayed RGIII that night. The reason why I said I was thinking about him the other day is because when the Seahawks signed our guy BJ Daniels, I went back to my QB list and thought that this kid could be the ideal fit for us as the future #2 QB that we desperately need:

Keith Price - QB - Huskies

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah writes that Washington senior QB Keith Price's draft stock is on the rise.

"Price displayed outstanding toughness, poise and playmaking skills in the Huskies' battle against No.5-ranked Stanford," Jeremiah wrote. Price kept Washington in the game until the end by completing 33 of 48 passes for 350 yards and two touchdowns, but the Huskies ultimately dropped a 31-28 decision. "He repeatedly took huge hits in the pocket, and he played through a painful thumb injury on his throwing hand," Jeremiah wrote.
Source: NFL.com

Oct 7 - 7:56 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

ESPN's Paul Finebaum said South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is "the biggest joke in college football."

"His behavior has been disgraceful," Finebaum said. Finebaum has made a career of employing charged diction in his obnoxiously over-the-top sounds bites. That isn't the story here. The story is that Clowney unilaterally chose to sit out Saturday's game against Kentucky with an injury (bruised ribs) that most would have played through; and not only that, but Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier elected to tell the truth to the media after the game and not cover for his potentially transcendent star. Clowney's decision means one of two things: Either his pain threshold is exceedingly lower than the average human's (which doesn't seem probable), or Clowney doesn't care about his college team or his public perception as much as other people would like him to. Some NFL executives have claimed that Clowney's decision-making process won't hurt his draft stock, but those quotes ring hollow. Clowney still appears to be a Top-3 lock, but Teddy Bridgewater now has a better chance at No. 1.
Source: Joe Schad on Twitter

Oct 7 - 5:57 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This kid has a pretty good burst. He's not as explosive as Kyle Van Noy but he is fast for an end.

Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers Clemson

redshirt junior DE Vic Bealsey leads the FBS with eight sacks through five games.

Also of note is that Beasley did not register a sack against South Carolina State, meaning he did not produce these huge numbers against Clemson's cupcake opponent this season. The junior added two more sacks to his name against Syracuse over the weekend. The eight sacks are a part of 10 total tackles for loss. Beasley tallied eight sacks in all of 2012.
Source: NCAA

Oct8 - 11:05 AM

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone else get the impression Jadaveon Clowney is Aldon Smith Jr. in that he's just partying his ass off? Like really, really bad?

The first game of the season, he had "flu-like symptoms" which is code for hung over. Now he sits out a game with "bruised ribs," which is probably code for hung over. Spurrier seemed pissed that Clowney wasn't playing. And not pissed because he was missing a great player; he seemed pissed AT Clowney.

I know I'm speculating, but draft talk is 100% speculation anyway. It's pretty much one's best educated guess. And Clowney seems to me like a drug addict or at least an alcoholic.

Woah, I think you're reaching here. I just think that he's trying to milk every and all injuries to stay off the field as much as possible. He's already a top-3 pick, and he's seen what happened to Marcus Lattimore last year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Woah, I think you're reaching here. I just think that he's trying to milk every and all injuries to stay off the field as much as possible. He's already a top-3 pick, and he's seen what happened to Marcus Lattimore last year.

Good point. Not saying that I would do the same, but it's a fair assessment to make.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier noted junior DE Jadeveon Clowney is getting treatment twice a week for his injuries.

Clowney is dealing with bone spurs in his foot and bruised ribs, which kept him out of last weekend's contest against Kentucky. Expect to read much more on Clowney and how many interpret his final season with South Carolina.
Source: Josh Kendall on Twitter

Oct 8 - 12:12 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

That's a good point. I never thought of that possibility. If so, he's smart. If I were Clowney, I'd just quit college football & spend the whole season studying X's & O's and staying in great shape. It wouldn't matter if he sat the whole season out; he's still going to be the 1st non-QB drafted IMO.

It sure smells like ultra-crazy partying though. If I were a betting man, I'd put the house Clowney getting high at least twice a week.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney announced that he is committed to the Gamecocks and will play again this season.

Clowney finds himself in the unfortunate position of having to publicly address unfounded rumors. Generally, we have sympathy for people in that situation. Our grace stops when the person in question is acting so erratically that the unfounded rumors appear more logical than the actions that spurred them. To recap: Clowney (bone spurs in his foot and bruised ribs) unilaterally chose to sit out last weekend's contest against Kentucky when everybody agreed he could have played. South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier could have averted all the heat that was about to come down on his star player if he had lied and said the school elected to hold out Clowney, but he elected not to do so. Clowney is now saying that he is questionable for this weekend's game against Arkansas. Clowney is coming across as simultaneously soft, dishonest and aloof. It isn't a good look, and it's one reason that he's no longer a lock to be the No. 1 pick.

Oct 8 - 6:18 PM

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks says that he he'd "have a hard time taking" South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney with the No. 1 overall pick "based on his performance, production and behavior this season."

Clowney has flopped under the bright lights in 2013, recording only 12 tackles, three TFL and two sacks. "Although most evaluators didn't expect him to post spectacular numbers based on the fact that savvy offensive coordinators would find a way to minimize his impact by running away from him or using multiple blockers in pass protection to neutralize his effectiveness, it has been his questionable effort, conditioning and attitude that have raised red flags in my mind," Brooks writes. "Clowney simply hasn't shown the college football world his A-game this season." Brooks' most damning observation about the 6-foot-6, 270-pound defensive end comes across as resigned, rather than frustrated: "...it's hard to get fired up about a player that is seemingly 'shutting it down' to protect his future considerations."

Oct 8 - 6:54 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This kid has a pretty good burst. He's not as explosive as Kyle Van Noy but he is fast for an end.

Vic Beasley - DL - Tigers Clemson

redshirt junior DE Vic Bealsey leads the FBS with eight sacks through five games.

Also of note is that Beasley did not register a sack against South Carolina State, meaning he did not produce these huge numbers against Clemson's cupcake opponent this season. The junior added two more sacks to his name against Syracuse over the weekend. The eight sacks are a part of 10 total tackles for loss. Beasley tallied eight sacks in all of 2012.
Source: NCAA

Oct8 - 11:05 AM

Now WalterFootball's mock has Vic going to the 9ers. I don't like it at all. Vic Beasly seems to have a pretty good first step, but I don't trust him enough to warrant a first round pick. I'd be more comfortable with him in the second round though:

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Mock Draft: First Round Continued

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

One NFC scout told the Sporting News' Matt Hayes that "with every week that passes we see more and more red flags," with South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney.

"He's getting some bad advice right now," another NFC scout said, "and it's going to hurt him in the long run." Hayes closes by saying "maybe he should have taken the season off after all." We struggle to judge Clowney's body language or competitiveness, there are numerous factors in play here. One, few people judging Clowney have actually met him. Two, he is injured, and the extent of the injury is unknown. Clowney is a rare talent on the field, and we suspect teams will regret passing on him. If any do.
Source: Sporting News

Oct 9 - 12:40 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Khalil Mack - LB - Bulls

Buffalo senior LB Khalil Mack was a unanimous selection among five NFL personnel executives as the top prospect outside of a BCS conference.

"Just watch the Ohio State game," one evaluator said. "He's a physical freak, and he does everything well. He can run, hit, tackle, set the edge, rush the passer and catch the ball. He could play outside in a 3-4 or any of the three linebacker spots in a 4-3." Mack has the frame, toughness, and closing speed to be a very good player on the edge, but teams will certainly be investigating off-field incidents that led to a suspension.

Oct 9 - 2:35 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Cardinals

NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater checks in behind Robert Griffin III and Matthews Stafford grade-wise.

"I'd have him in that Ryan Tannehill group, probably I'd have him behind RGIII," Jeremiah said. "I'd have him over (Mark) Sanchez when he came out. I liked Alex Smith when he came out, so grade-wise I'd have him right there with Alex Smith." It did not happen here, but Bridgewater will be criticized for the level of competition he has faced in the last few years. We don't think this is exactly fair, since Bridgewater's skills can be spotlighted. In fact, he faced defenses like Florida, UConn, and Rutgers filled with NFL talent last season.

Oct 10 - 9:12 AM

Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Cardinals

Two NFL General Managers and 26 scouts will be in attendance for Thursday's game that features Louisville and Rutgers.

Jacksonville Jaguars GM David Caldwell will be there, along with two other personnel staff members. Pittsburgh will also have its GM, Kevin Colbert, attending. Tampa Bay is sending Eric Stokes, the team's director of scouting. This is a fairly big turnout for a Thursday game, since many scouts attend games for entertainment rather than evaluation, since the tape is much easier to learn something from.
Source: WDRB

Oct 10 - 10:59 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney practiced in a full-contact jersey on Wednesday.

Clowney sat out Tuesday's practice, but it is a good sign that his health appears to be improving. The talented edge rusher is dealing with a rib injury and bone spurs in his foot that will require surgery. We don't understand people questioning his character or injury history, since little information has been released. Regardless, he is still disrupting on the field, and we think that counts as production.

Oct 10 - 9:41 AM

Former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah believes pro evaluators are more forgiving of South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney's injuries than the general public.

"When I talk to different guys around the league about him pulling himself out of the game... They were more forgiving than the general public," Jeremiah said. "When you really push people and get them to make a decision on that, I don't see it affecting him all that much." Fellow NFL.com analyst Bucky Brooks agreed with Jeremiah, saying it is a waste of time to speculate that Clowney is falling out of the top five. He'll be questioned by some, by Clowney's evaluation has remained steady.

One NFC scout told CBS Sports' Jeremy Fowler that he has "no issues" with South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney.

It is only October, and we have already seen reports of evaluators on either side of the Clowney spectrum. Anonymous scouts are always fun, and we treat them this way: if you respect the reporter citing the anonymous comment, you respect the scout. We think the top media outlets are tearing down Clowney's 2013 season far too quickly.
Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter Oct 10 - 12:41 PM

Oct 10 - 10:35 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tajh Boyd - QB - Tigers

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks ranks Clemson senior Tajh Boyd as the No. 2 draft-eligible QB in the 2014 class.

"The Tigers' offense steamrolls opponents behind the efficient performances of Boyd in the pocket," Brooks writes. "The fifth-year senior has tossed at least three touchdowns in four of the Tigers' five contests, while connecting on 66 percent of his passing attempts." Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel ranks first, and Louisville junior Teddy Bridgewater checks in at No. 3.

Oct 10 - 11:18 AM