• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anthony Barr - LB - Bruins

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks believes an argument can be made for a team selecting UCLA senior OLB Anthony Barr over South Carolina junior DE Jadeveon Clowney.

"If you are weighing the two, it comes down to what is the scheme and what is the best fit for what you want to do," Brooks writes. The former NFL scout compared Jadeveon Clowney to Julius Peppers and Anthony Barr to Von Miller, noting the latter can alternate as a stand up rusher next to a three man front and a edge rusher on a four man. "When you really think about his versatility and what he brings to the table, I think you can make an argument that (Barr) may be a guy that is more worthy of being selected at the top of the board than Jadeveon Clowney based on what we have seen on the tape on the field," Brooks added.
Source: NFL.com

Sep 27 - 10:42 AM

Nothing against Barr, he is indeed an elite prospect, but Bucky would get canned from his job if he were a GM and went on to select Barr over Clowney... as if Clowney is incapable of making that transition as a rush LB. This reminded me of the 2003 NBA draft. Some folks in the media wanted to draft Carmelo Anthony (a truly elite player) over Lebron James solely because 'Melo had a stellar freshman year at Syracuse which was much more impressive than James' production that year at the h.s. level. Just because he is having the better season, it doesn't necessarily mean that he is a better prospect than Clowney Bucky:

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I watch Gurley the more I want him to be a Niner when he comes out of college... Perfect replacement for Gore.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I watch Gurley the more I want him to be a Niner when he comes out of college... Perfect replacement for Gore.

I don't think I can be anymore in love with Gurley. He needs to be in the NFL right NOW. Unfortunately he's not gonna be available till '15, with another favorite of mine in Amari Cooper.

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I have said it a few time Anthony Johnson would make a good NT for the Niners he holds up well for the time Ive been waching him play.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I like Duke Johnson, and Yeldon better than Gurley, despite the fact that Gurly is more pro ready (in terms of what you look for in a back) than the other two backs. In making a comparison Gurley doesn't break tackles as well as Marshawn Lynch, but the guy is a pain to try to tackle nonetheless for any defender. Those 3 backs will go in the first 3 rounds next year. Rare phenomena to see a RB get drafted in the first round (let alone 3) nowadays but we will witness that in 2015.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like Duke Johnson, and Yeldon better than Gurley, despite the fact that Gurly is more pro ready (in terms of what you look for in a back) than the other two backs. In making a comparison Gurley doesn't break tackles as well as Marshawn Lynch, but the guy is a pain to try to tackle nonetheless for any defender. Those 3 backs will go in the first 3 rounds next year. Rare phenomena to see a RB get drafted in the first round (let alone 3) nowadays but we will witness that in 2015.

No to Yeldon

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My guy Greg Henderson with yet another takeway today! An INT returned for 30 yards to set up Colorado for a goal. It's too bad the Buffs are terrible or else we're possibly talking about Heisman here for a defensive player

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Yeldon, but he's not on Gurley's level at this point IMO. Duke Johnson I'm still undecided on.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Roby getting beat bad by Abendarious or however you spell his name. 6 catches for 159 yards and a TD in first half.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I hope this is showing you all that just bought into the hype because he's flashy and was on some expert's watch list.

No, I bought the hype because he's incredibly fast, he has good ball skills and he's more than willing to hit (which is rare for a guy with his speed).

I'm extremely happy he's having a bad game because his stock needs to seriously slide if the Niners have a shot at getting him; and he might be able to help the team as much as any player in the draft (except probably Clowney).

He's having a bad game, but he's still a rare CB prospect who should be the top one taken.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have a feeling Gordon will be better than them all

Gordon is really good. Last year he did some really good things on the field. I saw him play last week and he was simply toying around with the defenders. He's playing right now as a matter of fact. But I'm not paying much attention to that game to be honest.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roby getting beat bad by Abendarious or however you spell his name. 6 catches for 159 yards and a TD in first half.

Roby is good but he is vastly overrated. He's not a great player at all. Simply a good player. 2nd round prospect to me who will eventually go higher than he deserves to go.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Roby is good but he is vastly overrated. He's not a great player at all. Simply a good player. 2nd round prospect to me who will eventually go higher than he deserves to go.

Our first stark disagreement of the season. Biggest one since Matt Barkley probably.

Man I hope you're at least close to right about the 2nd round part; but only if he's in a 49er uniform.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SEC has some nasty backs. Check Mike Davis out. I'm really liking him.

Now for safeties. I have two that I'm really digging at SS. We need to replace Whitner in the next draft. Brian Randolph of the Vols and Deone Bucannon of Washington St. Randolph is a ballhawk and excels in coverage, something I would like more of from our SS position. Bucannon is a thumper but has more height than Whitner and his coverage could be improving, will be interesting to follow.

Ed Reynolds interests me as well but you would probably have to move Reid to SS which is fine.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

This drives me nuts. Of course luck is involved in the draft. It's involved in actual football too. That doesn't mean the people playing & making decisions are just lucky or unlucky; some are obviously much better at their jobs than their respective competitors.

"Massey and Thaler have advice for GMs: only suckers trade up."

Stupid stupid stupid! That sentence made the world dumber. It's like saying "you never trade a" and then say some player. If you get more than what you're giving YES YOU FREEKING DO! Only suckers trade up? Sure if you're trading your entire draft to move up 2 spots & don't take a franchsie QB. But if you trade a late 3rd rounder to move from 31 to 18 in order to take Eric Reid then hell yes you do trade up.

That statement is like saying, "You NEVER drive on the left side of the road." You do if you're in England! You can't look at factors like that in a vaccum. There are other factors that come into play! :rant:

...Ok, I'm finished ranting for now.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Brandin Cooks of Oregon State had another huge game yesterday. That guy is very good. He's becoming one of my favorite players to target in the next upcoming draft. This kid can play his a$$ off. He's shorter than 6 feet, but he can fly and make the tough catches look really easy. I'd love to draft him in the 2nd round. I would let Kyle Williams go, and if we also decide to part ways with Manningham, he'd be the ideal replacement for Mario in our system. I really really like this kid.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not going to start a new thread for this.

Several NFL names could be in play for USC job after Lane Kiffin firing | Audibles - SI.com

Another name to consider is current San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Greg Roman. The USC offense has been traditionally built on a strong balance between the run and pass, and few in football better understand how to strike that balance in diverse ways than Roman. From his days with Jim Harbaugh in Stanford to now, Roman has justifiably gained traction as a big name because of his ability to successfully scheme to his personnel.

On July 1, Dave Miller of the National Football Post wrote that “There is a job waiting for San Francisco 49ers assistant Greg Roman should he decide to return to the college game. The New Jersey native is very well-respected nationally, not just on the West Coast.”

Here we go again. I would guess yet again it's only a matter of time. I don't know about the fit with USC but this could be the year there's a fit for him.

My level of satisfaction with the Jim Harbaugh hiring was heavily dependent on the assistants he could go get (some insiders said he could possibly construct one of the better staffs in the NFL). Consider me maybe one of the most skeptical people on Jim Harbaugh's chances of all the people I've seen who follow this stuff closely like I try to do. I would lose a whole lot of sleep with an in-house promotion and another year of collective efforts into game-planning IF Roman isn't a part of the equation running things.