• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cincinnati Bengals

Top needs: CB, LT, C, DE

Round 1 (24) CB Bradley Roby, Ohio St.
Round 2 (55) G/T Brandon Thomas, Clemson
Round 3 (88) QB Tom Savage, Pitt

Analysis: Selecting Roby at No. 24 isn't really a reach on value. If you graded Roby purely on upside at the position, you're talking about a possible top-10 pick. He just needs refinement, and the Bengals are pretty long in the tooth at cornerback aside from Dre Kirkpatrick. I need to add depth along the offensive line, and I'm taking a shot with Thomas, who can provide depth at either tackle or guard. Strong safety would be an option in that second-round slot, but there just isn't much certainty or value available. Round 3 is a place where I can provide my starting QB a push. Savage has starting upside, and he's among the strongest arms in the draft. He was beaten up behind bad blocking at Pitt, but is the kind of upside this roster could use behind Andy Dalton.

San Diego Chargers

Top needs: CB, NT, WR, OLB

Round 1 (25) CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
Round 2 (57) OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford
Round 3 (89) OT Cameron Fleming, Stanford

Analysis: When the real draft happens, I'd guess Fuller is a likelier bet to go in Round 2, but I think he's worthy of this slot, and I could use more than one new addition at cornerback on this roster. I get an underrated pass-rusher in Round 2. If you went on productivity, Murphy can match up with any of the top pass-rushers in this draft, and he's a steal at this point. If a wide body like Louis Nix III fell this low, he'd be an option too. In Round 3 I'll go with Fleming, who provides immediate depth at either right or left tackle, and as a mauler in the run game could also move inside. In both the second and third rounds, I considered a wide receiver, with Davante Adams an option at No. 57, and Bruce Ellington a possible fit at No. 89.

New Orleans Saints

Top needs: CB, OLB, WR

Round 1 (27) OLB Dee Ford, Auburn
Round 2 (58) WR Davante Adams, Fresno St.
Round 3 (91) CB Kendall James, Maine

Analysis: The growth of Cameron Jordan at defensive end and solid play of rookie Kenny Vaccaro helped the defense take a big step forward last season -- Rob Ryan's presence was obviously a huge aspect to the improvement -- but I want to add an edge-rusher to the mix at outside linebacker, where depth is lacking. In Round 2, Adams is a steal. Kenny Stills was a solid addition to the passing game out of last year's draft, but Marques Colston is now 30 and Adams represents needed depth. Currently, Corey White and Keenan Lewis are the top two corners on the roster, so I'll take a shot on James, one of the top sleepers in the draft.

Carolina Panthers

Top needs: LT, WR, CB. S

Round 1 (28) OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama
Round 2 (60) WR Jarvis Landry, LSU
Round 3 (92) WR Bruce Ellington, South Carolina

Analysis: If it seems like sacrilege to pass on a wide receiver with the first selection, consider the state of the board. Six wide receivers are already drafted at this point, so I'm looking at major upside at a premium position. Kouandjio was a likely top-10 pick going into the season, and with a huge frame, long arms and the ability to maul people in the run game and handle good rushers, he has the potential to be a good NFL left tackle. The issue is health and consistency, but he'll be just 20 years old when he's drafted and still has a chance to be really good. After that, the focus goes back to wide receiver, and I take advantage of a deep class. Landry will make the tough catch in traffic, and Ellington can be explosive. There are pretty big question marks in the secondary as well, but helping Cam Newton is the first priority, and maybe the second and third.

New England Patriots

Top needs: TE, DL, WR, S

Round 1 (29) DT Timmy Jernigan, Florida St.
Round 2 (62) RB Bishop Sankey, Washington
Round 3 (93) C Weston Richburg, Colorado St.

Analysis: Even with Vince Wilfork back, I'm not content with the reality that my top two big bodies along the defensive line are Wilfork coming off an Achilles injury and 33-year-old Tommy Kelly. The Patriots semi-survived last season with the likes of Chris Jones and Joe Vellano piling up reps, but it's a great value to add Jernigan at this point; he's going to help in the short term and provide impact in the near future. Wearing my Patriots draft hat, I'm pulling a surprise in Round 2, taking a very good, versatile runner in Sankey, and then I add what I consider a need in a versatile interior blocker in Round 3. Ryan Wendell is back, but Richburg can also handle guard, where both current starters are at least 31 years old.

San Francisco 49ers

Top needs: CB, WR, C, DL

Round 1 (30) CB Lamarcus Joyner, Florida St.
Round 2 (56) C Marcus Martin, USC (from KC)
Round 2 (61) WR Josh Huff, Oregon
Round 3 (77) DT Dominique Easley, Florida (from TEN)
Round 3 (94) CB Nevin Lawson, Utah St.
Round 3 (100) QB/TE Logan Thomas, Virginia Tech (Comp)

Analysis: This draft sequence is something of a bet that the offensive line remains relatively stable if I get the needed help at center (Martin), and that even if NaVorro Bowman takes his time coming back, the linebacking corps will remain solid. The early priority is grabbing a capable corner, and Joyner can provide impact right away as a Tyrann Mathieu-type, a guy who can play corner, particularly in the slot, and provide time at safety. Huff isn't a burner, but he's more of a developmental project than some other receivers who will be taken in this range. Easley is an early-first round talent coming back from yet another knee injury, but at this point in the draft, getting that kind of talent is worth the shot. If he can spell Ray McDonald and Justin Smith effectively, everyone gets better. I like Lawson as a sleeper and possible corner help, and I love the idea of letting Jim Harbaugh work with Thomas as a developmental project at either QB or tight end. (Thomas really could pull off the conversion if he wanted to.)

Denver Broncos

Top needs: ILB, CB, WR, G

Round 1 (31) LB Chris Borland, Wisconsin
Round 2 (63) WR Martavis Bryant, Clemson
Round 3 (95) LB Jordan Tripp, Montana

Analysis: The Broncos have to get better at inside linebacker, and given the window they are working with, I want to take a player who can come in and upgrade the position immediately. Borland does that, and cornerbacks have been flying off the board in front of me, so I bet on a higher rate of immediate on-field impact. I don't think the wide receiver position is in desperate need, but minus Decker it's at least lacking in upside on the depth chart, and Bryant could be a high-ceiling help coming off the bench or if any of the starters go down. I'm doubling down at linebacker in Round 3, after a sequence where two more cornerbacks come off the board in the preceding few picks.

Seattle Seahawks

Top needs: WR, TE, RT, DL, G

Round 1 (32) DT Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota
Round 2 (64) CB Stanley Jean-Baptiste, Nebraska

Analysis: If a player like Kelvin Benjamin falls to the end of Round 1, it would make this a tougher call, but I'm not willing to chase wide receiver early in a deep draft at that position, particularly with some high-ceiling talent available. I love the idea of Pete Carroll getting to mold a talent like Hageman, who flashes special ability and is a great athlete at his size but hasn't put it all together. The Seahawks need to add depth along the defensive line. In Round 2, I'd again be looking at wide receiver, but in this scenario five WRs come off the board in the preceding seven picks. So this is where I again fall in love with the idea of matching talent and traits with the developmental ability of my staff. Brandon Browner is now in New England, so I'm itching to see what my staff can do with Baptiste, the 6-3 corner out of Nebraska. Another big body for the Legion of Boom. I'll use one or two of my picks in Rounds 4 and 5 to find some pass-catchers and at least one body for the O-line.

Washington Redskins

Top needs: S, CB, RT, LB

Round 2 (34) OT Antonio Richardson, Tennessee
Round 3 (66) OLB Demarcus Lawrence, Boise St.

Analysis: With wide receiver now off the board as a need, my focus is on adding high-ceiling talent at need positions. Richardson is a special athlete and has the ceiling of a good left tackle, but he can certainly slot in as an upgrade on the right side, which has been a problem area. In Lawrence I'm adding a pass-rusher to complement Brian Orakpo. There simply isn't any pass-rushing depth on the roster. I'd like to add help for the secondary, but I also have to hope we see some growth in that area from all the youth that saw the field in 2013.

Indianapolis Colts

Top needs: S, C/G, WR, OLB

Round 2 (59) WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss
Round 3 (90) OLB Carl Bradford, Arizona St.

Analysis: It's depressing that there's no first-rounder to be had in 2014 for the price of Trent Richardson, but in Moncrief I've added a potential weapon in the passing game and in Bradford I get a productive, high-energy talent at outside linebacker. Moncrief has very good size at 6-2, 221 pounds, and offers plenty of explosiveness, too. He ran 4.40 at the combine and also jumped nearly 40 inches with his vertical. Given the recent injury history of Reggie Wayne and Hakeem Nicks, you really can't take the weapons for granted. Moncrief has a shot to be good. Robert Mathis is 33, and Erik Walden won't be confused with a Pro Bowl player anytime soon. Bradford will help. I looked at safety in Round 3, but the value just isn't there with Deone Bucannon off the board at that slot.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Haven't made it all the way through yet, but WR and CB are just gutted by the time they get to us. If that's the case - and we haven't traded up - we almost have to take someone at a different position. Worst thing we could do in the first round is add a clearly lesser talent at a position of need.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh, and if we miss out on both Moncrief and Bennett at the end of the second in favor of Martin and Huff, I'm going to lose it.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Haven't made it all the way through yet, but WR and CB are just gutted by the time they get to us. If that's the case - and we haven't traded up - we almost have to take someone at a different position. Worst thing we could do in the first round is add a clearly lesser talent at a position of need.

If this happens, I wouldn't mind trading out of the 1st rd for a 2nd rounder or possibly a future 1st.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, thank you MW. I really don't like Kiper'd draft for us. San Diego made out like bandits, though.

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for posting that, btw, MW.

No problem!

Matt Miller just did his 7 round mock on Bleacher Report and it has Cooks, Beckham, Fuller, Verrett and Roby all gone before us too. Davante Adams at 30. I've been leaning on standing pat or moving back recently so I hope it really doesn't fall that way.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No problem!

Matt Miller just did his 7 round mock on Bleacher Report and it has Cooks, Beckham, Fuller, Verrett and Roby all gone before us too. Davante Adams at 30. I've been leaning on standing pat or moving back recently so I hope it really doesn't fall that way.

Ugh. I really would not like Adams at 30.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Miller has us taking Tuitt in the third round. I'd love it, but can't quite see it happening....

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miller has us taking Tuitt in the third round. I'd love it, but can't quite see it happening....

He won't make it that far, I'd say. Probably top 40. I'd love Tuitt at in the 3rd. Not happening.

And Adams at 30 feels like a reach. Would rather have Matthews, who he has going in the 3rd as well. This is kind of a weird mock.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Meant to say Bryant, not Bennett.

You're on the Bryant bandwagon huh?

What do you think of my suspicion that he's up to no good? I get a terrible vibe from the guy. I have nothing on which to base this, but when I see him interviewed I see a guy who wans to get paid, get high & tell everyone he's the greatest without earning it.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but his attitude seems terrible to me.

Totally with you on Adams. He's like the 8th-best WR in the draft IMO. Don't even want him. I'd rather take a flyer on that D-2 receiver. Jeff something?

michaelwarner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What do you think of my suspicion that he's up to no good? I get a terrible vibe from the guy. I have nothing on which to base this, but when I see him interviewed I see a guy who wans to get paid, get high & tell everyone he's the greatest without earning it.

Totally with you on Adams. He's like the 8th-best WR in the draft IMO. Don't even want him. I'd rather take a flyer on that D-2 receiver. Jeff something?

Janis?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I've never seen Bryant interviewed, I just think he fits what we need pretty well. Though as always, my knowledge of the draft is pretty limited.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My opinion of Kyler Fuller is starting to cool off a bit. I question his change of direction & running with his head turned. I still like him, but if he's the first guy the Niners pick on draft day I'll be disappointed.

It's Roby or Verrett in the first round or trade back for me as far as CB goes. And even Verrett might be a reach with the issue with that torn labrum.

Last edited by a moderator:

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My opinion of Kyler Fuller is starting to cool off a bit. I question his change of direction & running with his head turned. I still like him, but if he's the first guy the Niners pick on draft day I'll be disappointed.

It's Roby or Verrett in the first round or trade back for me as far as CB goes. And even Verrett might be a reach with the issue with that torn labrum.

I'm beginning to think you're just throwing out words and hope they stick. You dislike both Dennard and Fuller, and yeah, well that's just your opinion man, but you're question their coverage yet you think Bradley Roby's better?

What are your reasons for liking Roby anyway?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm beginning to think you're just throwing out words and hope they stick. You dislike both Dennard and Fuller, and yeah, well that's just your opinion man, but you're question their coverage yet you think Bradley Roby's better?

What are your reasons for liking Roby anyway?

whaaa? he's been doing this since day 1, whether about the draft or trading vets?

I view Sick as someone who wants to start discussions, not someone who REALLY believes what he's posting. you can best start discussions by posting 'shock' topics....such as trading Kaep.