• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 NCAA FB Season / 2014 NFL draft

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Another name I'm I think should sneak into that top 50 list really soon is Jerry Rice's cousin Jordan Matthews. I think the dude's legit'.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's true. I noticed that when I saw Mr. Cooper from 'Bama on the list.

Manziel wouldn't have gotten an lol if it were just a college football player ranking; he did win the Heisman. But as an NFL prospect, I think 22 is laughable for him.

They were saying at the Manning passing academy that his height listing is very generous, and he reminds them of Doug Flutie.

Well, if you read the intro to the article, it says

For the past 2½ months, I've pored over as much video as possible to compile my list of the 50 most talented players in college football.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well, if you read the intro to the article, it says

For the past 2½ months, I've pored over as much video as possible to compile my list of the 50 most talented players in college football.

Best draft prospect or most "talented:" Manziel doesn't belong in the top 50 much less 22. He might not even be one of the 10 most talented QBs in college football.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Best draft prospect or most "talented:" Manziel doesn't belong in the top 50 much less 22. He might not even be one of the 10 most talented QBs in college football.

It isn't a list of draft prospects. It's a list of the most talented college football players. Talented college player does not necessarily translate to talented NFL player. It's a ranking of college football players. Which, you said about:

Manziel wouldn't have gotten an lol if it were just a college football player ranking

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It isn't a list of draft prospects. It's a list of the most talented college football players. Talented college player does not necessarily translate to talented NFL player. It's a ranking of college football players. Which, you said about:

Then why is (1) Aaron Lynch 17th on the list? And (2) the link say "draft365/rankings?"

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Draft 365 Rankings | NFL.com

So Anthony Barr ranks 3rd overall on this list. How do you think he measures up against the pass rushers from the '13 class?

I'm only half joking when I say I'm always skeptical of anyone wearing a Bruins uniform. Barr seems like a Dion Jordan clone, and I was always a little skeptical of Jordan too. However, Jordan is crazy athletic, but Barr seems to get more consistent pressure on the QB. And as athletic as Jordan is, Barr seems like he's a little quicker than Jordan.

Barr seems like the real deal, but I'd hesitate to call him one of those extremely rare, elite pass-rushing prospects like Aldon Smith, Von Miller, Mario Williams, etc. His ceiling looks like a JPP kind of player.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Draft 365 Rankings | NFL.com

Just noticed Leonard Williams from USC at 25. Too bad he's getting noticed because he's one of those DT prospects who seems like a safe bet in the NFL. I think he's a 4-3 guy, but he looks like a good one.

I'm liking the CB class in this next draft more than 2013's. I'd kill for Roby from Oho St. Aaron Colvin looks like a good one too. I'm gonna wait & see on Loucheiz Purifoy; he's a hard one to gauge. He's gonna play some offense this year.

Somehow the Niners need to find at least one starting CB before next season.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Johnny Manziel - QB - Aggies

One NFL personnel man, who apparently works for a team that will be interested in selecting a QB, told SI's Peter King there are "nothing but red flags off the field" with Texas A&M redshirt sophomore Johnny Manziel.

That same evaluator said the team will have to do extensive work on Manziel throughout the process. King calls Manziel's early departure from the Manning Passing Academy a "monumental red flag" since he did not complete the responsibility of camp counselor that he agreed to. The MMQB writer noted the alcohol report wasn't the issue, it was the lack of accountability. King added Manziel has to prove to scouts he has the arm to hit downfield throws.
Source: NBC Sports

Jul 22 - 12:53 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I've been watching a lot of videos from some SEC games last year, and I must say I think I may have found a diamond in the rough (or at least I haven't heard anyone talking about him this offseason).

Donte Moncrief - WR Ole Miss.

Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews (who looks like the real deal) and Brandon Coleman (Mike Evans too) have gotten some hype this offseason, but I haven't seen anyone mention Moncrief. And I've got to tell ya: the guy looks like a pain in the ass to cover. And when I looked up his height & weight, I was pretty surprised to see him listed at 6'3 216 because he ran like someone who was 6'0 190.

The guy makes clean cuts in his routes, has an great initial burst, and (very importantly) he's a very enthusiastic blocker (one of the things I loved about Greg Little in college; Moncrief doesn't look like he's Greg Little in that dept, but he's big & willing). Another important factor is that the guy was consistently making some really great SEC DBs look bad. He wasn't doing this against weak competition.

Anyone else seen this guy play? Whad'ya think?

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been watching a lot of videos from some SEC games last year, and I must say I think I may have found a diamond in the rough (or at least I haven't heard anyone talking about him this offseason).

Donte Moncrief - WR Ole Miss.

Marqise Lee, Sammy Watkins, Jordan Matthews (who looks like the real deal) and Brandon Coleman (Mike Evans too) have gotten some hype this offseason, but I haven't seen anyone mention Moncrief. And I've got to tell ya: the guy looks like a pain in the ass to cover. And when I looked up his height & weight, I was pretty surprised to see him listed at 6'3 216 because he ran like someone who was 6'0 190.

The guy makes clean cuts in his routes, has an great initial burst, and (very importantly) he's a very enthusiastic blocker (one of the things I loved about Greg Little in college; Moncrief doesn't look like he's Greg Little in that dept, but he's big & willing). Another important factor is that the guy was consistently making some really great SEC DBs look bad. He wasn't doing this against weak competition.

Anyone else seen this guy play? Whad'ya think?

I would say a lot of people here, or at least a handful of us know of Moncrief. I just don't see the "elite" / dynamic player in Moncrief's game that would grant him that recognition. Most draft pundits have ranked him in their preason top 4-7 player at his position. Maybe this year he'll take his game to the next level, but at this point I seriously have yet to see the "wow" factor in his game. He's a better version of last year's Terrance Williams, I see a lot of Keenan Allen in his game without the YAC ability. He has better ability as a deep threat than Keenan though, which is why I thought of Terrance Williams when trying to describe his game. I actually like Mike Davis of texas better.

I went back to look at my preseason rankings for the WR position, and this is how I ranked them:

WR
1.) Sammy Watkins
2.) Marqise Lee
3.) Rashard Greene
4.) Brandon Coleman
5a.) Jordan Matthews
5b.) Malcom Mitchell

http://www.sportshoopla.com/forums/san-francisco-49ers/98151-2013-ncaa-fb-season-2014-nfl-draft-3.html

And players like Dri Archer can crack my top five when it's all said and one with. Only thing that's preventing him from being on my top 3 now is simply because of his minature stature to play the position and be considered a #1 receiver. The thing is, players like Tavon Austin, and Dri Archer are not around to be a #1 receiver like Calvin, AJ, Julio, or Dez. Their game is to be a decoy, free others, and create mistmatches and most importantly to bring that instant homerun threat to an offense as a running back or as a receiver.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Logan Thomas - QB - Hokies

Virginia Tech senior QB Logan Thomas needs work but "is built for the NFL," according to Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl.

Weidl added "a lot of variables that need to be considered" with Thomas' evaluation. The Hokie passer was not good last year, showing poor footwork int he pocket, poor decision making, and dreadful accuracy. Thomas has reportedly been working on every aspect of his game, but right now his best trait is his NFL frame.
Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Jul 25 - 9:58 AM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Antonio Richardson - T - Volunteers

One NFC college scouting director was effusive in his praise for Tennessee junior T Antonio Richardson, believing the Volunteer is a first-round prospect.

The personnel man reportedly "gushed" about Richardson's massive size and strength. "He pointed to Richardson's performance against Clowney as a glimpse of his potential to develop into a premier offensive tackle at the next level," NFL.com's Bucky Brooks writes. "Although the scout expressed some concerns about Richardson's feet and lateral quickness as a potential left tackle, he believes the Tennessee star could be a difference-maker on the right side."
Source: NFL.com

Jul 25 - 9:01 AM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I see a lot of Keenan Allen in his game without the YAC ability. He has better ability as a deep threat than Keenan though, which is why I thought of Terrance Williams when trying to describe his game.

That's a good comparison. A faster version of Keenan Allen. I would LOVE to pick up a guy like that. Allen had huge hands (if I remember correctly) & great ball skills & toughness. If Moncrief can show those 3 things this year, I don't see any reason why he couldn't at least be in the Justin Hunter / Deandre Hopkins area or WR prospects.

Ibangedlolojones

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I actually think he is the best prospects out of ND's impressive defensive line unit:

Stephon Tuitt - DL - Fighting Irish

Notre Dame junior DL Stephon Tuitt has "unreal quickness for a guy his size," according to NFL.com's Mike Huguenin.

Tuitt "also has good strength, and was used inside at times when the Irish went to a 4-3 set," Hugenin writes. As a sophomore in 2012, Tuitt registered 12 sacks, three forced fumbles, and nine quarterback hurries. Five technique ends in a three man front are coveted every April, and Tuitt could intrigue at that spot.

Jul 26 - 12:34 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Antonio Richardson - T - Volunteers

One NFC college scouting director was effusive in his praise for Tennessee junior T Antonio Richardson, believing the Volunteer is a first-round prospect.

The personnel man reportedly "gushed" about Richardson's massive size and strength. "He pointed to Richardson's performance against Clowney as a glimpse of his potential to develop into a premier offensive tackle at the next level," NFL.com's Bucky Brooks writes. "Although the scout expressed some concerns about Richardson's feet and lateral quickness as a potential left tackle, he believes the Tennessee star could be a difference-maker on the right side."

Jul 25 - 9:01 AM

I've been a huge Richardson fan for a while now. If the draft were held today and Richardson dropped as low as people say he will, he's the guy I would want the Niners to draft. And that's saying something because they don't need a tackle. But if a guy like that falls that far, you can't pass up that kind of value.

The 2012 tackle class was a great one, and the 2013 tackle class is even better.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Most people have Gabe Jackson as the top guard in this upcoming draft class. The obscene 2013 OG class may have raised my standards, but I don't think Jackson looks anywhere near as dominant as the top OGs from the '13 class.

Not that the Niners need an OG; I'm just sayin'.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Florida State DT Timmy Jernigan may be on my overrated list when it's all said & done. I think he might've looked better because of the other talent on that DL last year. I know he was only a true sophomore, we'll have to wait & see. Those are just my initial thoughts.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sammy Watkins has been pretty high on my list this offseason, but there's something about him I never noticed before. He, much like top-shelf tequila, and much like Michael Vick, goes down easy. I don't think he's a very good blocker, and I think he shies away from contact. He also doesn't seem like he has amazing hands.

He's starting to lose a little luster in my mind. Especially for a guy for whom the Niners would have to trade up to get. The Niners need a big, tough WR with long arms & who's a great red-zone target. If Moncrief plays like he did last year, I might like him more than Watkins.