• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 NFL Mock Drafts

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would we even go there? He wouldn't be an upgrade over Whitner or Goldson. Strong or Free Safety, I don't see him making a huge impact on our defense at all. Not only would he not be an upgrade from our current starters, I don't see him even being a better safety than Reggie Smith.

I'm not quite sure why we would want to address the safety position this year anyway. If we are going to draft a safety this April it would have to be only because we decided to let Goldson walk away. If we intend to address this position it better not be anywhere close to the first two or 3 rounds. We can simply use a late round pick on guys like Janzen Jackson or Bacarri Rambo (I think in Clyde's thread he mentiond that he opted to stay in school? don't remember).

Check this quote out on some Goldson stats...

Name withheld
NewCo49 10:13 PM on January 30, 2012
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore NewCo49. Show DetailsHide Details

I saw this on about Goldson on one of the NFL draft websites, couldn't be said any better than this.

"Of the safeties who have played 800-plus snaps this year, he's surrendered the eighth-highest completion percentage. He allowed four touchdowns this year (tied for fifth among safeties) despite the amazing front seven he has in front of him. He's tied for sixth in penalties among safeties this year. If he played behind a mediocre front seven, he would be exposed. Those who just look at stats and Pro Bowl voting might think Goldson is great, but he's just a backup at best. "
Reply (1) (1) Popularity: 0 | | [Abuse Reported] [Report Abuse] .

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goldson is a stong safety. i'd love to draft harrison smith to replace him and keep reggie smith.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
goldson is a stong safety. i'd love to draft harrison smith to replace him and keep reggie smith.

I'd like to have Harrison Smith and keep Reggie Smith just for the sake of having another Smith, then Texas 49er can add to the Mr. Smith "matrix" poster.

As far as having him play fs, I'm not so sure? He's projected across the board as a ss. He's never looked too me like he'd have the range to play centerfield.

A fs that I'm really interested in is George Iloka. He can even wait a season or two and take over at ss for us. I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Goldson next season though, his game is perfect for our secondary.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Name withheld
This comment is hidden because you have chosen to ignore NewCo49. Show DetailsHide Details

I saw this on about Goldson on one of the NFL draft websites, couldn't be said any better than this.

"Of the safeties who have played 800-plus snaps this year, he's surrendered the eighth-highest completion percentage. He allowed four touchdowns this year (tied for fifth among safeties) despite the amazing front seven he has in front of him. He's tied for sixth in penalties among safeties this year. If he played behind a mediocre front seven, he would be exposed. Those who just look at stats and Pro Bowl voting might think Goldson is great, but he's just a backup at best. "

Let's say this person's opinion was entirely 100% accurate in that Goldson is a bad safety in the NFL. You're saying that to resolve this problem, we need to replace him with a player who has 0 experience in playing safety in college let alone in the NFL. Do you seriously think that in 2012-13 Dennard would be an immediate upgrade over Goldson? Guys like Louis Delmas, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Morgan Burnett, William Moore, all played the safety position for 3+ years during their collegiate careers. When they entered the league they already knew a thing or two about angles (pulling up to tackle or anticipating routes being run by a much faster receiver). You're gambling a 1st round pick on a player hoping he learns the nuances/fundamental technique of the position; then being acquainted with the speed of the game at the NFL level; and let alone the complex schemes fangio is going to run. I'm sorry but no thanks on a safety this year unless it's a mid to late round pick.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's say this person's opinion was entirely 100% accurate in that Goldson is a bad safety in the NFL. You're saying that to resolve this problem, we need to replace him with a player who has 0 experience in playing safety in college let alone in the NFL. Do you seriously think that in 2012-13 Dennard would be an immediate upgrade over Goldson? Guys like Louis Delmas, Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Morgan Burnett, William Moore, all played the safety position for 3+ years during their collegiate careers. When they entered the league they already knew a thing or two about angles (pulling up to tackle or anticipating routes being run by a much faster receiver). You're gambling a 1st round pick on a player hoping he learns the nuances/fundamental technique of the position; then being acquainted with the speed of the game at the NFL level; and let alone the complex schemes fangio is going to run. I'm sorry but no thanks on a safety this year unless it's a mid to late round pick.

I know that a couple guys COULD be an upgrade, as well as be cheaper. I'm not on the Dennard wagon though. I really would like for us to draft George Iloka from Boise St. in the 2nd round or even trade into the top of the 3rd for him. I think he's the type of safety that fits the profile for our secondary.

The Dennard thing, I was just saying that I wouldn't lose faith in the staff IF they drafted him to play fs. I'd be pretty discouraged if they drafted him to play cb though.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know that a couple guys COULD be an upgrade, as well as be cheaper. I'm not on the Dennard wagon though. I really would like for us to draft George Iloka from Boise St. in the 2nd round or even trade into the top of the 3rd for him. I think he's the type of safety that fits the profile for our secondary.

The Dennard thing, I was just saying that I wouldn't lose faith in the staff IF they drafted him to play fs. I'd be pretty discouraged if they drafted him to play cb though.

I didn't watch no more than 2 Boise St. games this year. And when I did, I didn't focus on their DBs at all. No one jumped out at me. So I can advocate for or critique this kid you're referring too since I know nothing about him.

What I do know is that if we were to go after a S, why not JJ? This is what Kiper had to say about him:

McNeese State S Janzen Jackson
Jackson is an interesting prospect who started his career at Tennessee before off-field issues, multiple suspensions and violations of team rules led to his dismissal from the program after the 2010 season. He had a so-so year at McNeese State in 2011 (nine games, three starts), but based on his 2010 tape, he has top-40 physical skills.

There's not much Jackson can't do. He's instinctive with tremendous closing burst and lots of range in zone coverage, is able to match up in man coverage, and is a natural playmaker who can turn and run with receivers before locating and playing the ball. Jackson is also effective blitzing off the edge and a violent, physical player who's unafraid to lay his body on the line in run support. It'll be interesting to see how far he falls because of his character issues, but Jackson is clearly one of the more talented defensive backs on the board and someone to keep an eye on as the draft process unfolds.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to have Harrison Smith and keep Reggie Smith just for the sake of having another Smith, then Texas 49er can add to the Mr. Smith "matrix" poster.

As far as having him play fs, I'm not so sure? He's projected across the board as a ss. He's never looked too me like he'd have the range to play centerfield.

A fs that I'm really interested in is George Iloka. He can even wait a season or two and take over at ss for us. I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Goldson next season though, his game is perfect for our secondary.

i think harrison smith would do fine in our system. ideally he'd be a ss but i don't see a huge dropoff from goldson. goldson has range but he lacks instincts and he's reckless. he's more like a torpedo when the balls in the air.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't watch no more than 2 Boise St. games this year. And when I did, I didn't focus on their DBs at all. No one jumped out at me. So I can advocate for or critique this kid you're referring too since I know nothing about him.

What I do know is that if we were to go after a S, why not JJ? This is what Kiper had to say about him:

Jackson is an interesting prospect who started his career at Tennessee before off-field issues, multiple suspensions and violations of team rules led to his dismissal from the program after the 2010 season. He had a so-so year at McNeese State in 2011 (nine games, three starts), but based on his 2010 tape, he has top-40 physical skills.

There's not much Jackson can't do. He's instinctive with tremendous closing burst and lots of range in zone coverage, is able to match up in man coverage, and is a natural playmaker who can turn and run with receivers before locating and playing the ball. Jackson is also effective blitzing off the edge and a violent, physical player who's unafraid to lay his body on the line in run support. It'll be interesting to see how far he falls because of his character issues, but Jackson is clearly one of the more talented defensive backs on the board and someone to keep an eye on as the draft process unfolds.

I haven't seen him at all. He does sound like he could be a hidden gem though. Do you happen to know his multiple violations?

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Janzen Jackson Scouting report S McNesee State - NFL Mocks - Covering the 2012 NFL draft, Mock Draft Database, Scouting Reports, and Fantasy Football

His form tackling is horrid though.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JJ was the shit at UT. He was on the road to being a first round pick but he's a knucklehead. Sounds like he lost his game as well.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
JJ was the shit at UT. He was on the road to being a first round pick but he's a knucklehead. Sounds like he lost his game as well.

Yeah man, he was indeed the man! Not in Eric Berry type level, but borderline elite nonetheless. He used to bring the wood to people, but at the same time was a below average 'tackler' IMO. He liked him because he was able to cover any receiver. I don't know if he has matured, but unlike Jenkins, I wouldn't spend a day one pick on him at all. I wouldn't entertain Jackson nowhere before the 5th. I think anywhere between 5-UDFA would be considered a good investment in our part.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah man, he was indeed the man! Not in Eric Berry type level, but borderline elite nonetheless. He used to bring the wood to people, but at the same time was a below average 'tackler' IMO. He liked him because he was able to cover any receiver. I don't know if he has matured, but unlike Jenkins, I wouldn't spend a day one pick on him at all. I wouldn't entertain Jackson nowhere before the 5th. I think anywhere between 5-UDFA would be considered a good investment in our part.

Yeah his coverage and ball skills were on the road to being better than Berry imo.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Still @ #8??? reach? lol, i luv my PSU players but I am no way advocating this.

(btw, Moye, sleeper WR FYI ya'll)

Trent Richardson to the Bengals equals WIN, IMO.

Hopefully Jeffery goes into the combine in much better shape and shows us promising potential, ATM I still support Jeffery.

Per this mock, Perry was still available, interesting choice. If he can be an OLB in the 3-4, gives us some breathing room in terms of resigning Brooks or not.

Nick Perry POVs, asap!

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Still @ #8??? reach? lol, i luv my PSU players but I am no way advocating this.

(btw, Moye, sleeper WR FYI ya'll)

As a PSU fan, I had my eye on Moye as a pro prospect heading into the season, but he had a down year IMO. I know he battled injuries, but even when he had chances to make plays, too often he didn't. I hate even mentioning it around these parts, but apparently his hand size is very small for a big WR (8") which concerns teams. It'll be interesting to see how things play out with him.

I mentioned this in another thread, but might as well here too...

Does anyone have an opinion about WR Stephen Hill? He lead the nation in average YPC (over 30, I believe) as a junior at GT this season. I know that's a bit misleading with the offense they run. Still, his skill set is intriguing to me. I admittedly don't get to see a lot of GT football, but he made some big plays during the few games I was able to catch. A couple highlight real grabs.

He's raw, but appears to have the speed to get deep and the size (listed at 6'5, 206) to go up and get it. I've read that he has issues with drops though, can anyone confirm?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see Alshon Jeffery run at the combine. If post a fast time there is no way he falls to us in the draft. If he post a slow time then I don't even see us taking him at #30. He is to talented a big WR to not go higher in the draft, and if he does not then their are serious issues that will drop him into the 2nd and maybe even 3rd round.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Name withheld

I agree that Goldson is overrated. A lot of his INTs - the majority as memory serves - came on deflected balls. I can only recall two where he made a good play on a pass for the pick. He is great at adjusting to a deflected ball, but I think his coverage skills are very ordinary. Before we signed Whitner, I was pushing to move Goldson to SS and try R. Smith or someone else at FS. That's unlikely to happen now, but I definitely don't think we should break the bank for Goldson at this point. While I think we have bigger needs, I wouldn't object to using a first or second round pick on a FS if the value is there. Maybe we franchise Goldson for a year to allow for transition, but I'd like a more adept coverage guy at that spot.