• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012-13 Preseason Thread

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until we get enough people to have a thread for each pre-season game, I thought that all talk about preseason games could be here. Of course, if you'd like, start a new thread.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rookie bigs 6'10" or taller.

20qn92.png

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kanter if he can sustain a close rate would be a good backup to Favors if he can get some sort of offense and blocking skills. I have to admit, I don't know much about Kanter's defense. I lump him in with average (backup) defending big men until I know otherwise. Depending on foul situation, we might need him. He's still with us, right?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio that Kanter lost 52 pounds over the off-season - is that a good thing? Is he losing bad weight? Or slimming down? He reportedly has been tweeting pics of his abs, so I assume he's muscling up - but muscle weighs more than fat. He must have had a lot of fat to lose if he's adding muscle but losing weight.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard on the radio that Kanter lost 52 pounds over the off-season - is that a good thing? Is he losing bad weight? Or slimming down? He reportedly has been tweeting pics of his abs, so I assume he's muscling up - but muscle weighs more than fat. He must have had a lot of fat to lose if he's adding muscle but losing weight.

I saw that too and I'm not sure what to make of it. 242 seems light, but he's only 20. The fact that he has the ability to lose and gain like that is crazy. He is a phenom body wise. Might make him more mobile, but he might get bodied out more.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sakataters - Just curious, what made you a Niner fan? (I assume you went to Oregon, so that explains that.) I am a Ute fan and grew up as a Niner fan, so when Alex Smith was drafted there it was sweet. I know he hasn't had the smoothest of careers and has his limitations, but I'm absolutely loving the Niners winning with him - especially after 2005-2010.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw that too and I'm not sure what to make of it. 242 seems light, but he's only 20. The fact that he has the ability to lose and gain like that is crazy. He is a phenom body wise. Might make him more mobile, but he might get bodied out more.

My general philosophy on weight changes and training camp stories is this. Every team has the following stories during training camp, every year:

1) Player A has gained 20 lbs. and is now stronger than an ox! Look how much tougher he is.

2) Player B has lost 25 lbs. and is now faster than a cheetah! Look how quick and agile he is.

3) Player C is shooting 80% on practice 3-point shots! He is going to burn the nets down next year.

Weight changes, however, don't really change how they play the game. If a guy didn't have the post moves before, than he's not going to have them after the weight change. Maybe it will help make things a little easier, but not too much.

Now with Kanter, he is a young player, so his game wasn't as defined. And he didn't play too much as a rookie.

Most of his shots were around the rim, and he was pretty good there, so I figure he'll continuing playing there.

And he was already a good rebounder, it's hard to be much better than he already was.

I'm more interested in his actual developing offensive skills, than his weight change.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My general philosophy on weight changes and training camp stories is this. Every team has the following stories during training camp, every year:

1) Player A has gained 20 lbs. and is now stronger than an ox! Look how much tougher he is.

2) Player B has lost 25 lbs. and is now faster than a cheetah! Look how quick and agile he is.

3) Player C is shooting 80% on practice 3-point shots! He is going to burn the nets down next year.

Weight changes, however, don't really change how they play the game. If a guy didn't have the post moves before, than he's not going to have them after the weight change. Maybe it will help make things a little easier, but not too much.

Now with Kanter, he is a young player, so his game wasn't as defined. And he didn't play too much as a rookie.

Most of his shots were around the rim, and he was pretty good there, so I figure he'll continuing playing there.

And he was already a good rebounder, it's hard to be much better than he already was.

I'm more interested in his actual developing offensive skills, than his weight change.

This is sort of like how more weight lifting does less for a QB than fixing mechanical errors in being able to throw with more velocity further. Weight loss would do less in Kanter's post game, than thousand of reps at it would. I see weight as more of an inhibitor when you have it than a plus when you lose it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm putting training camp stuff here because it's all the same - preparing for the season.

I heard some local radio host criticizing Al Jefferson talking about how excited he is for this year's team, saying that having Favors and Kanter off the bench gives them... I forgot exactly what, I assume energy, flexibility, and strength when the starters rest. The host said that it was a red flag that he sees himself already and still the starter. The host cited fan and team support for an up and coming Favors, saying that there are no guarantees and that Corbin would not have annointed Jefferson as the starter already. He said he very well could the starter due to his scoring ability being higher than Favors at this point, but it was wrong to assume it. He categorizes this differently than saying that he believes he has starter capability because everyone should believe they are capable.

I don't see anything wrong with this, but then again, I assumed he is the starter. I would have been surprised if he had said that he hoped to be the starter because that would reflect doubt either in himself or controversy on the team. Favors, no doubt, wants to take the job from him, but for some reason, I didn't see this as an issue. I assumed Jefferson would be phased out and Favors in, with quite a bit of overlap where they are both on the court.

What are you guy's thoughts on this? Should Favors start now? Does Favors start with Jefferson? Should Jefferson assume or not assume to be the starter (after starting the last few years)?

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sakataters - Just curious, what made you a Niner fan? (I assume you went to Oregon, so that explains that.) I am a Ute fan and grew up as a Niner fan, so when Alex Smith was drafted there it was sweet. I know he hasn't had the smoothest of careers and has his limitations, but I'm absolutely loving the Niners winning with him - especially after 2005-2010.

I grew up in Iowa, so was a Hawkeye. I lived up in Logan Utah for a few years and grew to love the Jazz, watching Stock, Jerry and Karl in my father in laws basement. Moved to Oregon. I couldn't embrace the Blazers, so by osmosis went west coast for local football interest. I'm just a casual Duck fan. I like the Niners though because they play Jerry Sloan type of ball...just rugged and in the trench. More than Karl or John, Jerry is more the icon in my eyes.

I like what Smith is doing too. I watched them in the Young and Montana years. But, I relate more to this current incarnation led by Harbaugh.

Last edited by a moderator:

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up in Iowa, so was a Hawkeye. I lived up in Logan Utah for a few years and grew to love the Jazz, watching Stock, Jerry and Karl in my father in laws basement. Moved to Oregon. I couldn't embrace the Blazers, so by osmosis went west coast for local football interest. I'm just a casual Duck fan. I like the Niners though because they play Jerry Sloan type of ball...just rugged and in the trench. More than Karl or John, Jerry is more the icon in my eyes.

I like what Smith is doing too. I watched them in the Young and Montana years. But, I relate more to this current incarnation led by Harbaugh.

Can you retell the story of how you shook Sloan's hands?

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not polyamorous as far as other teams though...I pretty much only chat Jazz basketball. I'm only religious about UT.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing wrong with Jefferson assuming he's the starter, since he's been one and a productive one for years.

It's up to Corbin to decide whether someone else should start over him. Until he does, Jefferson should assume he's starting.

I would start Favors-Jefferson.

Sackataters

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you retell the story of how you shook Sloan's hands?

I went back to SLC for Thanksgiving two years ago and caught the victory against LA in the ESA. I had such a great time that I bought tickets for the Bucks game. My kids and I went super early and watched shoot around. We waited by the tunnel and caught some autographs on our caps...Big Al, Evans, Hayward, Raja (pittuey). Then, Jerry freaking Sloan walks out. My heart starts beating. He does an interview and walks toward the tunnel. Initially, he rebuffs some requests for autographs, but promises that he'll be back. Sure enough, he came back and was so gracious. Signed our tickets and caps. He signed my cap and I went to say thanks, but my voice betrayed me. He was on his way out when I had one of those A Christmas Story moments....no wait, I want a red rider bb gun with a compass in the stock. I managed to find the words to ask if I could shake his hand and get a pic. He said sure. I felt like a kid. Pic didn't turn out great, but it was a great moment. I guess it is that Midwest tough guy Clint Eastwood persona that I respect. Ultimately, that was one of his last games coaching at the ESA.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not polyamorous as far as other teams though...I pretty much only chat Jazz basketball. I'm only religious about UT.

Thanks for taking the time to reply; I enjoy getting to know other posters a little better. I understand not being polyamorous. I went to USC for undergrad but am rooting for Utah tomorrow. I am only crazy for the Jazz and Niners. Semi-crazy for Utah. Stable for USC. Non-existent for my law school. I'd rather have them win than lose, but don't really care.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is sort of like how more weight lifting does less for a QB than fixing mechanical errors in being able to throw with more velocity further. Weight loss would do less in Kanter's post game, than thousand of reps at it would. I see weight as more of an inhibitor when you have it than a plus when you lose it.

Someone came up with more "training camp" headlines that are seen every year:

++++++++++++++++++++++

Don't forget "this is the hardest training camp ever", and "player X is in the best shape he's been in Y years".

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few more regular stories:

6) The whole team is in the best shape ever!

7) Player D is a few pounds heavier than we'd like him to be, but he'll be ready when the season starts.

8) Player E has been working out all summer but just needs to get into game shape.

9) Player F is in game shape but just needs to get his timing back.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're forgetting the "Everybody is fat as **** and we are going to suck on every facet of the game whether you like it or not. Please buy tickets." I hate that one, whenever some team says that, I immediately lose all hope for them. ;)

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're forgetting the "Everybody is fat as **** and we are going to suck on every facet of the game whether you like it or not. Please buy tickets." I hate that one, whenever some team says that, I immediately lose all hope for them. ;)

Lol.