• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Phoenix Suns vs 7) LA Lakers

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pope/Kuzma/Deng take up 31 million in cap space.

If they didnt have that- and Harrell declines his option (which he might or might not- i have no idea- 10M to play for the Lakers with a depressed cap because of Covid clouds his decision) they could afford a player making 30M plus.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for looking that up on the apron. I knew it was something like that but couldnt quite remember off the top of my head. That should make it interesting.

basically- if yo uwant to use the sign and trade to bring someone in- Schroder is the only candidate- it comes down to- can you get something in a sign and trade for Schroeder? Who would want Schroeder and give up an asset for the right to pay him a lot of money?

Is there a team out there that wants to pay Schroeder $15-20 million a year so much- that they give up an asset to do so? I have my doubts but you never know.

Does Miami want to go younger than Dragic? There are some other pending FAs/player options that could be a double-swap if they want to come to LA (Gay, Green, Oubre, Hardaway Jr, Fournier, Barton, Reddick, Dinwiddie, Ball, Richardson, Powell, etc). Most of those are unlikely of course and are many are most likely staying put (and Gay might actually be an MLE or league minimum possibility at this stage of his career), just taking a quick look at players in the $10-20M salary range this past season that could be FAs. Lonzo sticks out as a possible reclamation project and could be a solid choice if he can continue to improve from 3 (.375 this season). Does LA want his Dad back in the mix though, lol?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonard to the Warriors happening? LOL.
Much greater chance but has nothing to do with your stupid post.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Glad to see AD saying this. There has been a lot of talk that he's a player who wouldn't do much as far as working out/taking care of his body in the off-season and would "play himself into shape" when the season started. Hopefully he has learned that taking care of his body is 365 days a year. Not just during the season.

I had no issue with him trying to play and the Lakers giving him the ok. He wasn't going to make it worse, it was just a matter of whether or not he could play without aggravating it. It was pretty obvious within a couple of possessions that he couldn't.

It's hard to know how good they could have been because they were never really healthy enough for long enough to get everyone on the same page. As someone else said, this could be a blessing in disguise because it gives Lebron and AD a 4 month break to get rested and healed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking about that destination but with Van Fleet- youn and making a ton of money- I dont really see adding Schroeder is realistic. I think they could do better on the open market.

One place I was thinking- ironically enough- was if the Twolves wanted to move on from Russell and his big deal? I dont know.

Basically- what you are looking at is trading for a guy who is talented- got a big contract- kind of underperformed- a team wants to get rid of the contract- but he could be revived under LeBron.

It's only realistic if the Raptors are facing the prospect of losing Lowry for nothing or getting something for him in return.

If Lowry were to say "I want to go play for the Lakers. So make a S&T happen to do that otherwise I'm going to the Knicks and you get nothing" then the Raptors may view getting Shroder as better than nothing.

Not saying any of that is going to happen.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does Miami want to go younger than Dragic? There are some other pending FAs/player options that could be a double-swap if they want to come to LA (Gay, Green, Oubre, Hardaway Jr, Fournier, Barton, Reddick, Dinwiddie, Ball, Richardson, Powell, etc). Most of those are unlikely of course and are many are most likely staying put (and Gay might actually be an MLE or league minimum possibility at this stage of his career), just taking a quick look at players in the $10-20M salary range this past season that could be FAs. Lonzo sticks out as a possible reclamation project and could be a solid choice if he can continue to improve from 3 (.375 this season). Does LA want his Dad back in the mix though, lol?
I think the Knicks are going to pay Ball.

problem with Schroeder is if he leaves- you need a point guard again. Honestly- you dont need a big man with Davis and Kuzma- plus you can find a decent center for fairly cheap for the most part.

if Schroeder leaves the Lakers need a PG (obvious of course) and more outside shooting at the wing.

Oladipo would be fairly interesting. If Miami doesnt hit in free agency t hey could do worse than Schroeder to play PG.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only realistic if the Raptors are facing the prospect of losing Lowry for nothing or getting something for him in return.

If Lowry were to say "I want to go play for the Lakers. So make a S&T happen to do that otherwise I'm going to the Knicks and you get nothing" then the Raptors may view getting Shroder as better than nothing.

Not saying any of that is going to happen.
the issue i think is- they are under the cap. Why not just sign him outright? They dont need to do a SnT.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cavs and Heat had injuries to Wade/Bosh/Kyrie/Love in the earlier rounds on multiple occasions. They were able to overcome that in the earlier rounds because they were able to have 2 all stars play with LeBron. Getting that 3rd guy was key.

The Lakers were not able to get that third guy- so when one gets injured- they were just lost.

Also being in the East with no other team that was talented enough to beat them helped too.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see sarcasm isn't your strength.
That's lazy trolling. When you get called out on something dumb claim you were joking/sarcastic. Trump said that after telling us all to drink bleach. Doesn't work on me.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad to see AD saying this. There has been a lot of talk that he's a player who wouldn't do much as far as working out/taking care of his body in the off-season and would "play himself into shape" when the season started. Hopefully he has learned that taking care of his body is 365 days a year. Not just during the season.

I had no issue with him trying to play and the Lakers giving him the ok. He wasn't going to make it worse, it was just a matter of whether or not he could play without aggravating it. It was pretty obvious within a couple of possessions that he couldn't.

It's hard to know how good they could have been because they were never really healthy enough for long enough to get everyone on the same page. As someone else said, this could be a blessing in disguise because it gives Lebron and AD a 4 month break to get rested and healed.

He may not be a hard worker typically in the offseason, but he didn't really have one last year anyway. He had to try to play last night, it was a must win game. However, a better coaching decision would've been not to switch him defensively and maybe start him at the 5? Having him switch out onto guards with an injured groin was pure lunacy.

That said, there will be turnover. There is little reason for the Lakers to bring back Matthews, McKinnie, Dudley, McLemore, Antetokoumpo, and Cacok, while Morris, Harrell, and Drummond could very likely move on for more money. Two of those are 2 way players, but they need better options with those spots too.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,096.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
up top, man...

High Five Tom Cruise GIF by Hollywood Suite
This is what you get for besmirching Doris Burke's honor!

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also being in the East with no other team that was talented enough to beat them helped too.
not like the Suns are exactly world beaters.

If they got waxed by the Jazz or Clippers, or a healthy Denver id be more prone to agree with your sentiment.