• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Phoenix Suns vs 7) LA Lakers

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're going to count the Lakers version of Malone or Payton, then you have to count the Rockets version of Drexler.

I did include them both. :)

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Super teams did exist in the past, which I think I said. But it was just harder to build them back then and they usually involved players on the back 9 of their careers.

It might be a little more top heavy but the NBA always has been and and always will be haves and have nots. A single player at any position (particularly center) can change a franchise. So you knew that a good 2/3 of teams were gonna be mauled both then and now...and had literally no chance of winning a 5-7 game series vs the big boys. A regular season upset or avoiding getting swept was always the best case fate of more than half of NBA teams...Then, now and in the future.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It might be a little more top heavy but the NBA always has been and and always will be haves and have nots. A single player at any position (particularly center) can change a franchise. So you knew that a good 2/3 of teams were gonna be mauled both then and now...and had literally no chance of winning a 5-7 game series vs the big boys. A regular season upset or avoiding getting swept was always the best case fate of more than half of NBA teams...Then, now and in the future.

I more or less agree. Maybe I misinferred what was being discussed but I thought the discussion was about how the good teams are more top heavy today than they were back in the 90s. A team like the Trailblazers with 2 perennial all-stars and some other good players would be a routine 2nd/3rd round playoff team but they rarely escape the 1st.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh...Super Teams were around. The Bulls were one once Rodman showed up. Lakers when Malone jumped ship...They lost...Houston was brought up earlier with Pippen moving over...Lost. Sometimes team makeup is better without multiple stars. I think the talent/ability has improved overall since we're in the GNC and maximum output generation with sports and that is the biggest difference in sports overall. That said, 90s Shaq wasn't getting dominated by any of these jabronis, so some things stand the test of time.

That is just it…

The Bulls were a super team in an era with no other super teams. That is why they win 6 rings.

Was MJ the catalyst? Absolutely.

But he gets too much credit for the success of the team and Pippen too little.

MJ was the best player in the league, but he also had the very best wingman and some great supporting pieces beyond that.

So of course he went 6-0 in the Finals. They were the best team for most of the decade.

Have their been super teams since? Yeah, but not as many as you think. To me a super team includes 2 superstars and a 3rd all star.

Shaq and Kobe didn’t have that. Karl Malone was good, but 40 years old and well past his prime.

Between the Showtime Lakers and Bird Celtics and the LeBron Heat, the only real superteam was the Jordan Bulls. KG Celtics were close, but don’t meet the criteria IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I more or less agree. Maybe I misinferred what was being discussed but I thought the discussion was about how the good teams are more top heavy today than they were back in the 90s. A team like the Trailblazers with 2 perennial all-stars and some other good players would be a routine 2nd/3rd round playoff team but they rarely escape the 1st.

Exactly

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I disappeared when the Lakers were up 2-1 just before Memorial Day.

Family emergency, not really in the right state of mind to post
Cool, I was just busting your ladyballs. Is everything ok now?