• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: #2 Ohio State @ Purdue now ABC

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF are you talking about? You beat them by 15 while we beat them by 12, and you were only up 8 until 3 minutes left in the game while we milked the final 2:30 of the game inside the TCU 25.

Yes, but Ohio State was much more highly ranked than Texas..in fact, not even sure Texas was ranked before TCU game?

With the talent at OSU, yall should have smoked TCU. They had what, a 95 yard TD run? That really shouldn't happen to a someone ranked number 2 or 3 or whatever it was. Just my opinion, don't get huffy about it.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We beat LSU but they are still ahead of us, rationalize that.

And I'll concede that Florida should be ranked ahead of LSU as long as you agree that Kentucky should be ranked ahead of Florida. You can't have it both ways.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. Certainly not as tough as they were last year, and we get them at home. In reality, we can absorb a loss to PSU, beat Indiana/Rutgers and head into OSU with 1 loss and a shot at the division with a win. OSU's loss to Purdue gave us the leniency to lose another game.

This isn't a knock, we're both fans of teams that I think we'd both agree are known for underachieving in modern times.

But is winning the division really the goal? Another loss takes you out of the playoffs. Georgia could technically still win the division with a loss to Florida, but what would be the point?

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't a knock, we're both fans of teams that I think we'd both agree are known for underachieving in modern times.

But is winning the division really the goal? Another loss takes you out of the playoffs. Georgia could technically still win the division with a loss to Florida, but what would be the point?
Yes. I need the headlines about Harbaugh not winning anything to go away.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but Ohio State was much more highly ranked than Texas..in fact, not even sure Texas was ranked before TCU game?

With the talent at OSU, yall should have smoked TCU. They had what, a 95 yard TD run? That really shouldn't happen to a someone ranked number 2 or 3 or whatever it was. Just my opinion, don't get huffy about it.

Why in God’s green earth would it matter where a team is ranked if they give up a long TD run?

Maryland was absolutely atrocious and they had a 90+ yard kick return on UM.

Big plays happen regardless of a team’s ranking.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd make either Ohio State or michigan the champs. When it's a round-robin like that, I believe they go to who is highest among the committee's top 25, and that wouldn't be MSU.
Well since you changed your response I will break down the tie breakers. First is conference record. MSU, OSU, Michigan, and Penn State would all be 7-2 (assuming all teams listed win all of their other games). Second is head to head, too many teams so H2H can not be used. Next is record against those teams that are tied. MSU would be 2-1, OSU 2-1, Penn State 1-2, Michigan 1-2. So we can now eliminate Penn State and Michigan. Go back to step two, head to head, in my implausible scenario, MSU would have the H2H over Ohio State, therefore MSU = B1G East champs.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, both teams have 1 loss, and it's definitely not like Texas doesn't have talent. I agree, we should've beaten them by more, by 7 dropped passes and a horrible defensive scheme will do that to you. We should've smoked every team on our schedule this year aside from PSU, but clearly that hasn't happened.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since you changed your response I will break down the tie breakers. First is conference record. MSU, OSU, Michigan, and Penn State would all be 7-2 (assuming all teams listed win all of their other games). Second is head to head, too many teams so H2H can not be used. Next is record against those teams that are tied. MSU would be 2-1, OSU 2-1, Penn State 1-2, Michigan 1-2. So we can now eliminate Penn State and Michigan. Go back to step two, head to head, in my implausible scenario, MSU would have the H2H over Ohio State, therefore MSU = B1G East champs.
I honestly didn't think that was the series of steps. I thought once it got past overall conference record and H2H, it went to highest ranked.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it looks like it doesn't go back to H2H once it reaches that step unless Sparty is within 1 spot of OSU in the CFP Rankings. The rest of part 5 goes: "...unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game."

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it looks like it doesn't go back to H2H once it reaches that step unless Sparty is within 1 spot of OSU in the CFP Rankings. The rest of part 5 goes: "...unless the two highest ranked tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other in the College Football Playoff poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big Ten Championship Game."
Once teams are eliminated you go back to step one. So when PSU and UM are eliminated you start all over.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once teams are eliminated you go back to step one. So when PSU and UM are eliminated you start all over.
You would be spot on. Who would've guessed Sparty vs. NW could be a preview of the B1GCCG.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall see. Don't forget, NW holds the tie-breaker there.

God, this conversation is gross.
It’s fun to think about for me, but I don’t have high hopes for this game or against Ohio State.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'll concede that Florida should be ranked ahead of LSU as long as you agree that Kentucky should be ranked ahead of Florida. You can't have it both ways.

Sure I dont care

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just checking in to see if Purdue scored again

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82