• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a big sample.

The Giants game was ugly but it has been the exception.

Not a big sample of course. That's because this team is really, really good. You wouldn't care though, you just care about Alex Smith.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not a big sample of course. That's because this team is really, really good. You wouldn't care though, you just care about Alex Smith.

I care about truth, justice and the American way.

I would of liked some discussion on how in the 3 games prior to taking control of the Cardinals and getting 3 sacks in the 4th quarter with them passing every play we were getting no sacks of the opposition QB.

You aren't gonna win many big games in the NFL if you can't get to the QB. The refs seem to be helping out a little with more offense pass interference calls but it is still an uphill during an avalanche battle.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think of Matt Barkley? Could/would he be better than Smith? In other words what's his ceiling?

Ya, I know its random.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YAC is 36% of our pass yards

last year it was 45%

ESPN has yet to record the YAC's from the Cardinals game. The unsustainable metric I was referring to was the 62% from the Cardinals game.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many people here have forgotten what good, consistent QB play looks like. A QB that creates something out of nothing, that elevates the play of his surrounding cast, and one that forces opposing DCs to game plan around him, not everybody else first.

Now obviously those types don't grow on trees, and as long as Alex Smith is winning he should start (this year), but people are delusional if they don't think Alex Smith is maxed out potential/ability wise.

my hope is that smith can build upon the past 2 seasons and be a qb that can elevate those around him. if his accuracy is anywhere close to what it was against the cards our offense will be in good shape.

he was hitting wr's in stride and with the guys we have on offense they're going to make plays. with vernon on the field those short-intermediate passes to crabs and mario are gonna be there all day.

its up to smith now to be consistent, because the pieces around him are there. but we're still a running team so i hope we don't get away from that.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I care about truth, justice and the American way.

I would of liked some discussion on how in the 3 games prior to taking control of the Cardinals and getting 3 sacks in the 4th quarter with them passing every play we were getting no sacks of the opposition QB.

You aren't gonna win many big games in the NFL if you can't get to the QB. The refs seem to be helping out a little with more offense pass interference calls but it is still an uphill during an avalanche battle.

Mmkay buddy.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my hope is that smith can build upon the past 2 seasons and be a qb that can elevate those around him. if his accuracy is anywhere close to what it was against the cards our offense will be in good shape.

he was hitting wr's in stride and with the guys we have on offense they're going to make plays. with vernon on the field those short-intermediate passes to crabs and mario are gonna be there all day.

its up to smith now to be consistent, because the pieces around him are there. but we're still a running team so i hope we don't get away from that.

My problem with that is I don't think the Cardinals game was any sort of barometer. Alex Smith's longest target was 19 yards. It was dink and dunk all day and a combination of great WR play and atrocious tackling from the Cardinals.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're hilarious.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think many people here have forgotten what good, consistent QB play looks like. A QB that creates something out of nothing, that elevates the play of his surrounding cast, and one that forces opposing DCs to game plan around him, not everybody else first.

Now obviously those types don't grow on trees, and as long as Alex Smith is winning he should start (this year), but people are delusional if they don't think Alex Smith is maxed out potential/ability wise.

And this is where the argument originates from...

People have not forgotten what good consistant QB play looks like, but have simply lowered their standards because the winning percentage doesn't reflect the QB play. It is as simple as that. Smith is not the guy who will win the game for you consistantly, but he is also not the reason we lose every week either. So in many minds, he gets a pass and is labled as "good" just because he is not a detrement on a weekly basis...

Really at this point, Smith has become a servicable veteran who is physically maxed out and is mentaly incosistant. But he has learned to minimize his mistakes and make the most of the situation. Coach Harbaugh recognizes what Alex can and can't do and game plans around that...

As I said in an earlier post, there was a reason why Smith saw very little love on the open free-agent market. Because he is a very average QB with a low ceiling. Its not a bash against Smith or trash talk toward fellow posters. Its just the reality of situation. If 30 GM's can recognize this, why is it so hard for regular people to get it?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is where the argument originates from...

People have not forgotten what good consistant QB play looks like, but have simply lowered their standards because the winning percentage doesn't reflect the QB play. It is as simple as that. Smith is not the guy who will win the game for you consistantly, but he is also not the reason we lose every week either. So in many minds, he gets a pass and is labled as "good" just because he is not a detrement on a weekly basis...

Really at this point, Smith has become a servicable veteran who is physically maxed out and is mentaly incosistant. But he has learned to minimize his mistakes and make the most of the situation. Coach Harbaugh recognizes what Alex can and can't do and game plans around that...

As I said in an earlier post, there was a reason why Smith saw very little love on the open free-agent market. Because he is a very average QB with a low ceiling. Its not a bash against Smith or trash talk toward fellow posters. Its just the reality of situation. If 30 GM's can recognize this, why is it so hard for regular people to get it?

True, but that's just another name for leaving yards and points on the field. We haven't needed those points because our defense is strong and we control ball games with the running game, but there's no doubt that teams will look to expose this coming forward.

BUT, we're 6-2, and if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so u mean to tell me he wasn't accurate?

I don't think anyone can make the argument that that he was INaccurate. But he really had only two real impressive throws - the lob down the left sideline to Delanie Walker and the seam route to Vernon Davis.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
True, but that's just another name for leaving yards and points on the field. We haven't needed those points because our defense is strong and we control ball games with the running game, but there's no doubt that teams will look to expose this coming forward.

Should have said- Has learned to minimize his mistakes with in the game plan...

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone can make the argument that that he was INaccurate. But he really had only two real impressive throws - the lob down the left sideline to Delanie Walker and the seam route to Vernon Davis.

Smith threw 19 passes that traveled an avg of 4.9 yards - He damn well better have been accurate.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the biggest thing for me is looking at the jump in ypa. last year smith was 17th now he's 5th. last year the wr's weren't getting open, this year they are. smith has missed some big plays but overal he's running the offense pretty well.

i don't think the cards game was smith's best game and the media hype was laughable. but smith executed the game plan and gave our wr's a chance to make plays. the right plays were called, the routes were crisp, everyone but delanie was catching the ball, the line was doing their job and smith was hitting his passes.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest thing for me is looking at the jump in ypa. last year smith was 17th now he's 5th. last year the wr's weren't getting open, this year they are. smith has missed some big plays but overal he's running the offense pretty well.

i don't think the cards game was smith's best game and the media hype was laughable. but smith executed the game plan and gave our wr's a chance to make plays. the right plays were called, the routes were crisp, everyone but delanie was catching the ball, the line was doing their job and smith was hitting his passes.

Thanks in large part to two passes - keep trying kid.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and thats what drew brees does. grab a ton of yards on short stuff then hit some big throws. brees does throw the ball up a lot more, but we have the d and running game where we don't have to take those chances.

not to mention, smith isn't brees so i wouldn't want smith airing it out like that.