• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

$ 1 Lease Offer for 99 Years for Chargers

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3.2 million people in San Diego County don't want to pony up a few hundred bucks apiece to keep the Chargers yet want Spanos to spend 750 million dollars of his own money to build a stadium he doesn't need to build solely for the huge privilege of playing in SD and then say Spanos is the bad guy?? GTFO with that nonsense. If you owned the Chargers you'd tell the privileged cheap asses in San Diego to fuck off too

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I go to a home game usually once a year and the stadium always has a lot of the opposing team fans. San Diego is a destination vacation spot and makes it easy to want to go to a game there. A lot like Vegas. The Raiders would kill it in Vegas and I hope that happens.

I'm not thinking ATL is really a hot vacation spot on the level of SD or Vegas, but there are just some many damn transplants here (myself included) that Falcon games will always have a good contingent of the opposing team's fans.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3.2 million people in San Diego County don't want to pony up a few hundred bucks apiece to keep the Chargers yet want Spanos to spend 750 million dollars of his own money to build a stadium he doesn't need to build solely for the huge privilege of playing in SD and then say Spanos is the bad guy?? GTFO with that nonsense. If you owned the Chargers you'd tell the privileged cheap asses in San Diego to fuck off too

To be honest I don't blame taxpayers that say no to majority publicly funded stadiums, but if the owner is willing to go 50/50 and take care of cost overruns, and the tax is a hotel/travel tax...why not?

miah

Well Hung Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmm k, punkin. I just can't believe that you're not trolling at this point.
Troll on.....

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I don't blame taxpayers that say no to majority publicly funded stadiums, but if the owner is willing to go 50/50 and take care of cost overruns, and the tax is a hotel/travel tax...why not?
I dint blame them either. It's theurcteam choice and their money but it's also Spanos choice and his money. There's no reason for him to do a worse deal in San Diego than he can get elsewhere and honestly the franchise would be worth more elsewhere so San Diego should have to give him a better deal to stay. If they don't want to pay for it that's fine but that's not Spanos fault

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Chargers tried to sell it that way of it would be Bronco, Chiefs, and Raiders fans that would be helping pay for their stadium because it would be a tax on the hotel/travel industry. Not a bad way to try and sell it and really I don't think the burden would have been as much on the locals with the way they had it set up.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dint blame them either. It's theurcteam choice and their money but it's also Spanos choice and his money. There's no reason for him to do a worse deal in San Diego than he can get elsewhere and honestly the franchise would be worth more elsewhere so San Diego should have to give him a better deal to stay. If they don't want to pay for it that's fine but that's not Spanos fault

The fact is DAL, ATL, LA, LV, MIN, all of these new stadiums being built now are all funded with 50% or more with private funds.

Spanos is free to leave, sure, but he doesn't really have another option aside from playing under Kronke's roof in LA. The Jets know what that's like...if he could go to Portland, or San Antonio, I'm sure they would love to have the Chargers, but it's doubtful they would open up the checkbook to fund him a new billion dollar stadium without him having some skin in it.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is DAL, ATL, LA, LV, MIN, all of these new stadiums being built now are all funded with 50% or more with private funds.

Spanos is free to leave, sure, but he doesn't really have another option aside from playing under Kronke's roof in LA. The Jets know what that's like...if he could go to Portland, or San Antonio, I'm sure they would love to have the Chargers, but it's doubtful they would open up the checkbook to fund him a new billion dollar stadium without him having some skin in it.
Doubling or tripling the value of your franchise would be worth playing under someone else's roof especially if you save hundreds of millions of dollars upfront. I have to imagine Spanos knows he has other options or he wouldn't he letting it play out like this. Maybe the people in SD don't believe he will really leave. I know they thought that in Minnesota for a long time before the realized they were really about to lose their team

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doubling or tripling the value of your franchise would be worth playing under someone else's roof especially if you save hundreds of millions of dollars upfront. I have to imagine Spanos knows he has other options or he wouldn't he letting it play out like this. Maybe the people in SD don't believe he will really leave. I know they thought that in Minnesota for a long time before the realized they were really about to lose their team

Why would being the LA Chargers double or triple the value? I get that LA is a much larger TV market, but help me out with that.

Options, I'm sure he does, but thinking out loud, aside from LA, or staying in SD, what other options are out there that would be better? Again, idk the details of the SD proposal, so I can't really speak on it without speculating, but clearly the vote wasn't even close so whatever it was the people apparently did not feel there was enough investment from the owner.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would being the LA Chargers double or triple the value? I get that LA is a much larger TV market, but help me out with that.

Options, I'm sure he does, but thinking out loud, aside from LA, or staying in SD, what other options are out there that would be better? Again, idk the details of the SD proposal, so I can't really speak on it without speculating, but clearly the vote wasn't even close so whatever it was the people apparently did not feel there was enough investment from the owner.
Larger market equals larger value. That's really it. The Rams value went up 333%. Add in a better stadium and the Chargers value would skyrocket.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Larger market equals larger value. That's really it. The Rams value went up 333%. Add in a better stadium and the Chargers value would skyrocket.

Okay...fair..Forbes has DAL as the most valuable NFL franchise at 4.2B...LA did jump up to 2.9B and that will probably go a little higher once the stadium is among the assets.

SD is valued at 2.08B according to Forbes...so yeah, I see it jumping up, but not double or triple...maybe 2.6 or 2.7B

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spanos is dealing with San Diego because he has to. Fron what I understand, the Spanos family net worth is around $1.6B including the Chargers ($1.1B) - so Dean would have to spend $650M in relocation fees to the league. The other rich owners will be getting richer and the paupers of the league will be getting poorer.

You think Spanos is looking to spend a third of his net worth to be a tenant of Kroenke's?

If they move, I could see new ownership in the next ten years. Spanos is playing at the $50 table, with $5 chips. Best case scenario for Charger fans is that Spanos gets so exacerbated by the process that he sells the team.

From Last Year
What about that Spanos money?

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Chargers tried to sell it that way of it would be Bronco, Chiefs, and Raiders fans that would be helping pay for their stadium because it would be a tax on the hotel/travel industry. Not a bad way to try and sell it and really I don't think the burden would have been as much on the locals with the way they had it set up.

True, but that's 3 games a year...SD is a world class tourist destination. I'm sure they are pulling billions already and using it for various things.

Blank is funding $800m (plus cost over runs) of the new Mercedes Benz Dome here, but $350m is coming fromt he tourist/business travel tax...on hotels, rental cars etc....that's the only way it was going to happen here.

From the sound of it, Spanos was not willing to come out of pocket enough.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but that's 3 games a year...SD is a world class tourist destination. I'm sure they are pulling billions already and using it for various things.

Blank is funding $800m (plus cost over runs) of the new Mercedes Benz Dome here, but $350m is coming fromt he tourist/business travel tax...on hotels, rental cars etc....that's the only way it was going to happen here.

From the sound of it, Spanos was not willing to come out of pocket enough.

Oh I get it is only 3 games of the year. I meant that when they did advertising to try and sell it to the voters that is what they used as a huge selling point. Obviously it didn't mean much to the voters.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spanos is dealing with San Diego because he has to. Fron what I understand, the Spanos family net worth is around $1.6B including the Chargers ($1.1B) - so Dean would have to spend $650M in relocation fees to the league. The other rich owners will be getting richer and the paupers of the league will be getting poorer.

You think Spanos is looking to spend a third of his net worth to be a tenant of Kroenke's?

If they move, I could see new ownership in the next ten years. Spanos is playing at the $50 table, with $5 chips. Best case scenario for Charger fans is that Spanos gets so exacerbated by the process that he sells the team.

From Last Year
What about that Spanos money?

That's probably the same kind of money Davis has in OAK, he's not as deep as Blank, and Jones, etc...he's got $5 chips too...but he was will to part with some of them and had a hotel owner partner to get the lionshare of funding in LV.

I'd be willing to bet (lets stay with the $5 chips) if another owner bought the team and said to SD, I'm putting in a $650m, meet me with $350m and let's get this done, it would get done.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be willing to bet (lets stay with the $5 chips) if another owner bought the team and said to SD, I'm putting in a $650m, meet me with $350m and let's get this done, it would get done.

I'd take that bet - the other owners would make Spanos pay - these other guys are real billionaires, there are no nice guys in the room.

If you saw the look on both these mens' faces when it was announced that the Chargers could move and the Raiders couldn't, and the conditions of the move - their expressions said alot. They were both sold down the river and their Carson plans dashed.

Rough translation - Pony Up! you two "no-money" losers, or stay where you're at. Clearly the owners want them to man their markets and shut-up - even to the tune of paying $200M for their respective stadiums.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take that bet - the other owners would make Spanos pay - these other guys are real billionaires, there are no nice guys in the room.

If you saw the look on both these mens' faces when it was announced that the Chargers could move and the Raiders couldn't, and the conditions of the move - their expressions said alot. They were both sold down the river and their Carson plans dashed.

Rough translation - Pony Up! you two "no-money" losers, or stay where you're at. Clearly the owners want them to man their markets and shut-up - even to the tune of paying $200M for their respective stadiums.

I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing.

I agree the owners want the Raiders and Chargers to stay in their current cities, thus will make moving painful (expensive)...but more than that the owners like brand new shiny stadiums with all the bells and whistles. That's why they're warming up to Vegas and even willing to kick in a $150m for Davis...there is funding for a new stadium.

If Spanos sold and the new owner presented the city with a new proposal that has said new owner paying $650m and the city kicking in $350m the deal would get done...yes, I would bet on that happening.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know next to nothing about this situation. But could the old dump that is Qualcomm be renovated?

Soldier and Lambeau are both older stadiums and were renovated. Or is it like the Metrodome, which was a terribly designed stadium built on the cheap and just needs to be bulldozed ASAP?

In fairness, the Bears weren't moving because the family would never move them and the Packers are publicly owned, so neither team ever had to (or would) threaten to move over a new stadium.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Phillip Rivers was in NE, Dallas, NO, or Cincy, would he be considered one of the greatest quarterbacks ever?

If was put in the pats offense he'd put up better numbers than Tom. I've said this for years.