• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which QB will make a vast improvement

Which QB will make a vast improvement.

• Total voters

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
josh freeman.....book it

Josh Freeman peaked 2 years ago. He was pretty much tapped out when he came out of college. Greg is already looking for his guy. He'll fall on his face this year and he'll be someone backup next year. Book that!!!

BUCCS469

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
Josh Freeman peaked 2 years ago. He was pretty much tapped out when he came out of college. Greg is already looking for his guy. He'll fall on his face this year and he'll be someone backup next year. Book that!!!

keep dreaming...free had a good year last year....unlike stafford who piddled down his leg again

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep dreaming...free had a good year last year....unlike stafford who piddled down his leg again

Good based on what? Freeman's good year was equal to Stafford's bad year. Freeman's a backup. I'd say a good backup but a backup none the less. Man, you're going to be soooo disappointed after this year!!

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I gotta throw my vote to Sam Bradford. Not only because I'm a Rams fan... but, because it makes the most logical sense, if you're asking who's going to make the "most improvement".

Of those who received votes thus far...

Ryan Tannehill is intriguing. Picking up Mike Wallace was decent... but, he and Brandon Gibson (trust me) aren't going to make up for losing Davone Bess, Reggie Bush and Anthony Fasano. Not to mention the offensive line issues that need to be dealt with.

Russell Wilson is good... damn good. He'll certainly improve, but I don't think it's gonna be by a tremendous margin. Not surprising that he's the leading vote-getter, though, considering the source.

Colin Kaepernick is really good, as well. But, he just lost his #1 target, in Michael Crabtree. Not to mention that once teams (teams other than the Rams, that is. ;) ) finally decipher the whole pistol formation/read-option offense, his numbers will tail off a bit.

Jake Locker hasn't really done much to show me that he's going to take a huge step forward. But, anything's possible.

Which brings us to Sam Bradford. With the Rams defense largely in place, this year's offseason has pretty much been devoted to improving Bradford and the offense. The signing of Jake Long and the subsequent move of Rodger Saffold to right tackle, means the only spot up for grabs, is right guard. This offensive line should be the best one Bradford's lined up behind, since his arrival in St. Louis, by far.

Of the existing WR corps, Chris Givens has already established himself as a legitimate deep threat and Brian Quick should take a step forward with a year under his belt. Jared Cook was acquired from the Titans, to provide an athletic field stretching TE and two of the most electrifying WRs, in Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey, were added, via the draft.

Not to mention the one thing that's not changing, for once... For the first time in his career, Bradford will have the luxury of playing in the same offense, with the same offensive coordinator, in consecutive seasons.

Now, before anybody comes completely unhinged... I'm not saying that Bradford is, all of a sudden, going to be the best QB in the NFC West (although, it's certainly possible). The question was, who's going to be "most improved". And conventional wisdom dictates that the correct answer to that question, is Sam Bradford.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I voted for Ryan Tannehill. He played pretty well last season and I'd expect a lot of growth in year 2. I have to ask why Cutler's old ass is in the discussion though. He's peaked!! He's due for a mid life crisis.

I think the new head coach, Marc Trestman, will be a blessing for Cutler. Also improving the OL will help.

With that said, I not a fan of Cutlers so I wouldn't vote for him.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But jayviabay you don't account for the lost of your #1 wide receiver. Surely you don't think the young guys will come close to making up for losing Kaep favorite receiver do you?

Wilson on the other hand has lose none of his receivers (oops they did lose a back up Tight end but so did the 49ers) and the Seahawks added Percy Harvin.

Come on now take off those rose tinted glass and admit it ....Wilson should make bigger gains this up coming season!

Honestly I think its too early to answer that. I dont know if he was his favorite or if he just trusted his hands more? VD, Walker, Moss, etc., all dropped passes thrown right to them, while on the other hand Crabtree caught almost everything thrown his way that was on the numbers. Boldin has great hands as well and kaep will find out he can trust his ability to catch/attack the pass as well.

Ok, I took off the rose glasses and I still see Wilson being consistent with last years performance but not making bigger gains. Like I said, wilson is already a better passer so if the more raw keap makes adjustments on his passes, he makes the bigger gain :hope:

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick is really good, as well. But, he just lost his #1 target, in Michael Crabtree. Not to mention that once teams (teams other than the Rams, that is. ;) ) finally decipher the whole pistol formation/read-option offense, his numbers will tail off a bit.

The pistol formation has nothing to do with his abilities. The niners didnt even use it against every team in the playoffs did you watch? Greg Roman exploits the weakness of the opponent. He beat green bay with the read-option, he beat the falcons strictly from the pocket, and the second half of the super bowl was simply amazing for a young QB.

I think you base your opinion by the views of so called "experts". I doubt Harbaugh would trade a traditional QB for a one scheme wonder... Think about that for a minute.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont by the whole, "wait until defenses prepare for them" crap. With kaep and wilson, you just have to stay on your toes and dont try to gamble on assumption.

Kaep didnt start week 1 and the whole team had to make adjustments on the fly. The Oline was use to the tendencies of Smith, along with the WRs. The offense was game planned around the strengths of Smith which tells us that Kaep was limited during his first snaps.
Wilson has already displayed the ability to throw the "right" type of pass. Last year kaep seemed to throw nothing but bullets with no adjustments on passes that needed a little touch. If Kaep corrects this wrinkle, it could be the deal breaker

I guess there is more than one way to measure progress. I was speaking more to season stats vs how they are doing game 16 next year vs game 16 last year.

Yes, Kaepernick came in to an offense not totally dialed into what works best for him, but he didn't have to play 6-7 full games before they opened up the playbook for him. I don't know if you watched much of the Seahawks first half of the season, but it was painful to watch how few discrete plays they actually ran and how predictable the calls were.

Wilson had a lot more experience over his year than Kaep given he did start every game even if he wasn't allowed to fully play. That experience counts for something, but won't be the biggest factor. Both have the full off season knowing they are starters to improve over last year. I'd also give both fairly even marks for the pieces around them, despite Wilson having a slight nod with Crabtree being lost for the season now, or at least most of it. Wilson distributed the ball all over the place and didn't appear to favor any one guy. That experience will bode well now that he will have a real game changing guy to throw to in Harvin. Go ahead and bracket Harvin, Wilson won't hesitate to distribute to this 3rd option.

I'll have to ask SF fans about Kaepernick's work ethic, but this is where Wilson is so special. He has a very Peyton-like worth ethic. He is the first guy in, and the last guy in the film room. He runs extra practice sessions and drills and like Peyton has his own off season work outs with his receivers to keep building that bond and timing. We all laugh at his pressers because he basically says the same things over and over, but his line about 'the separation is in the preparation' is something he really does live and not just lip service. The coaches will literally kick him out and send him home because he just never leaves the film room and work outs. Unless Kaepernick is that obsessed I'd have to give a big nod to Wilson over him because his style will probably give him a big edge in becoming more than who he was last year.

So in my mind I'd give Wilson the edge whether you are judging '12 week 16 vs '13 week 16, or full season stats/averages '12 v '13. Wilson can and should grow a lot from where he ended the season with all this hard work and given how half his first season he had handcuffs on his overall stats should jump.

Mind you, I don't think Wilson and Kaepernick are that far apart at this point and both will grow in season two given the pieces around them. I just see Wilson's obsessive and tireless work being the difference.

On that note I'll give a very Wilson-like 'Go Hawks'

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went homer, and voted for Cam :hope:. He was playing well last year at the end of the season. I think he has much room to improve, especially throwing touch (on fades, e.g.) down in the red zone. I'd really like to see some statistical improvement, based on the Panther running game ramping up. CN could stay in the pocket more, and picks his spots selectively to run, as that increases the probability of busting another long one. He would also benefit from the development of a solid second option, and I think Brandon LaFell may be the best candidate.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think their work ethic is on par with each other. kaep also runs extra practices and classroom sessions with the young receivers. there was an article explaining how he would draw up plays and have the receivers diagnose how it would be ran against different defensive looks.

The more I think about both of them it could be a matter of a coin flip...

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pistol formation has nothing to do with his abilities. The niners didnt even use it against every team in the playoffs did you watch? Greg Roman exploits the weakness of the opponent. He beat green bay with the read-option, he beat the falcons strictly from the pocket, and the second half of the super bowl was simply amazing for a young QB.

I think you base your opinion by the views of so called "experts". I doubt Harbaugh would trade a traditional QB for a one scheme wonder... Think about that for a minute.

I certainly take into account the observations of others... but I base my opinion on what I see, on the field. You're focusing solely on my mention of the pistol formation and read-option. While it may not be their sole offensive strategy, they use both, with a far greater frequency than any other team. I understand that "his abilities" are what make him great. But, his abilities can be neutralized. He clearly isn't infallible.

Also, you didn't take into account my mention of losing Crabtree, for the year. If you don't think that's going to create an issue, then you really are wearing rose-tinted glasses. Crabtree accounted for almost twice as much offense than any other WR on the depth chart, behind him. Somebody's going to have to step up and replace that production. While there's nothing to suggest they have that guy immediately, ready to go... luckily, San Fran has a lot of potential candidates for the job.

I recognize that Colin Kaepernick is a good QB. I'm not suggesting that he's going to simply disappear form the NFL landscape, if he can't play out of the pistol formation. All I said was that there's a serious possibility for his numbers to dip, a bit. I don't think it'll have much, if anything, to do with his abilities, more than the situation he'll find himself in, next season. Kaepernick is not a "one-scheme wonder". I never implied he was. But, one scheme did have a lot to do with his success.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly take into account the observations of others... but I base my opinion on what I see, on the field. You're focusing solely on my mention of the pistol formation and read-option. While it may not be their sole offensive strategy, they use both, with a far greater frequency than any other team. I understand that "his abilities" are what make him great. But, his abilities can be neutralized. He clearly isn't infallible.

Also, you didn't take into account my mention of losing Crabtree, for the year. If you don't think that's going to create an issue, then you really are wearing rose-tinted glasses. Crabtree accounted for almost twice as much offense than any other WR on the depth chart, behind him. Somebody's going to have to step up and replace that production. While there's nothing to suggest they have that guy immediately, ready to go... luckily, San Fran has a lot of potential candidates for the job.

I recognize that Colin Kaepernick is a good QB. I'm not suggesting that he's going to simply disappear form the NFL landscape, if he can't play out of the pistol formation. All I said was that there's a serious possibility for his numbers to dip, a bit. I don't think it'll have much, if anything, to do with his abilities, more than the situation he'll find himself in, next season. Kaepernick is not a "one-scheme wonder". I never implied he was. But, one scheme did have a lot to do with his success.

I did take in account of you mentioning the loss of Crabtree and IMO I dont think it will impact the progression of Kaep. He has a full offseason to establish rapport with boldin, VD, and the rest of the wideouts. I truly believe Boldin and VD can replace that production.

I agree, the scheme contributed to his success but once it becomes noneffective the proper adjustments will be made. One thing/person you are not taking in account is Greg Roman. After this season, he will probably be leaving us to be a Head Coach.

There is a possibility for his numbers to dip but there's also a possibility for his numbers to rise. I referenced the Falcons playoff game, where the pistol/read-option was not utilized.

Kaep went 16/21 231 yds with a 92.6 QBR & 127.7 Rating. To me, this should of silenced the, "wait until there is more film of the guy" comments and the, " he will recess after the college gimmick scheme is figured out". Im not saying this is your take on it.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did take in account of you mentioning the loss of Crabtree and IMO I dont think it will impact the progression of Kaep. He has a full offseason to establish rapport with boldin, VD, and the rest of the wideouts. I truly believe Boldin and VD can replace that production.

I agree, the scheme contributed to his success but once it becomes noneffective the proper adjustments will be made. One thing/person you are not taking in account is Greg Roman. After this season, he will probably be leaving us to be a Head Coach.

There is a possibility for his numbers to dip but there's also a possibility for his numbers to rise. I referenced the Falcons playoff game, where the pistol/read-option was not utilized.

Kaep went 16/21 231 yds with a 92.6 QBR & 127.7 Rating. To me, this should of silenced the, "wait until there is more film of the guy" comments and the, " he will recess after the college gimmick scheme is figured out". Im not saying this is your take on it.

I agree 100%. I don't think that Kaepernick is a "one-trick-pony" by any means. I believe that Greg Roman is a pretty good coordinator, as well. But, if you tout Roman's ability to make adjustments, you're kinda discrediting the rest of the defensive coordinators across the league. Especially, if they don't have a team's #1 WR to contend with (which, essentially discredits Michael Crabtree's importance to the team, as well.).

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%. I don't think that Kaepernick is a "one-trick-pony" by any means. I believe that Greg Roman is a pretty good coordinator, as well. But, if you tout Roman's ability to make adjustments, you're kinda discrediting the rest of the defensive coordinators across the league. Especially, if they don't have a team's #1 WR to contend with (which, essentially discredits Michael Crabtree's importance to the team, as well.).

Very valid points. Being a FSU fan, I guess im biased when it comes to Boldin and Crabtree. With his addition, I looked at him as our #1 WR and Crabtree shifting to a #2 role, even though he already has the connection with kaep. He has always came across as another "diva" type so im not all the way sold on him. With the addition of Boldin, i feel that the comeback of Manningham is more important than Crabtrees comeback.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, I gotta throw my vote to Sam Bradford. Not only because I'm a Rams fan... but, because it makes the most logical sense, if you're asking who's going to make the "most improvement".

Of those who received votes thus far...

Ryan Tannehill is intriguing. Picking up Mike Wallace was decent... but, he and Brandon Gibson (trust me) aren't going to make up for losing Davone Bess, Reggie Bush and Anthony Fasano. Not to mention the offensive line issues that need to be dealt with.

Russell Wilson is good... damn good. He'll certainly improve, but I don't think it's gonna be by a tremendous margin. Not surprising that he's the leading vote-getter, though, considering the source.

Jake Locker hasn't really done much to show me that he's going to take a huge step forward. But, anything's possible.

Which brings us to Sam Bradford. With the Rams defense largely in place, this year's offseason has pretty much been devoted to improving Bradford and the offense. The signing of Jake Long and the subsequent move of Rodger Saffold to right tackle, means the only spot up for grabs, is right guard. This offensive line should be the best one Bradford's lined up behind, since his arrival in St. Louis, by far.

Of the existing WR corps, Chris Givens has already established himself as a legitimate deep threat and Brian Quick should take a step forward with a year under his belt. Jared Cook was acquired from the Titans, to provide an athletic field stretching TE and two of the most electrifying WRs, in Tavon Austin and Steadman Bailey, were added, via the draft.

Not to mention the one thing that's not changing, for once... For the first time in his career, Bradford will have the luxury of playing in the same offense, with the same offensive coordinator, in consecutive seasons.

Now, before anybody comes completely unhinged... I'm not saying that Bradford is, all of a sudden, going to be the best QB in the NFC West (although, it's certainly possible). The question was, who's going to be "most improved". And conventional wisdom dictates that the correct answer to that question, is Sam Bradford.

I think Bradford will have very good season for all the resons you gave. I also think he better have a good season, this is kind of a judgement year for him IMO.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went homer, and voted for Cam :hope:. He was playing well last year at the end of the season. I think he has much room to improve, especially throwing touch (on fades, e.g.) down in the red zone. I'd really like to see some statistical improvement, based on the Panther running game ramping up. CN could stay in the pocket more, and picks his spots selectively to run, as that increases the probability of busting another long one. He would also benefit from the development of a solid second option, and I think Brandon LaFell may be the best candidate.

With Star Lotulelei the OL could help both the running game and passing game.

I thought the Panthers had a good draft, but I though surely they would draft another WR. Not that familiar with LaFell, you fell that he's up to the job?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Star Lotulelei the OL could help both the running game and passing game.

I thought the Panthers had a good draft, but I though surely they would draft another WR. Not that familiar with LaFell, you fell that he's up to the job?

:clap: I see what you did there.

Golden Spur

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was a lot of speculation about that, but we only had 5 picks (no 3rd), and there were better players available than the wideouts, at each slot.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I'm going to have to add a QB to the list, and say Ponder could be the most improved.
Solid O-Line, much improved (at least on paper) WR corp., stud TE and still has AP.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to have to add a QB to the list, and say Ponder could be the most improved.
Solid O-Line, much improved (at least on paper) WR corp., stud TE and still has AP.

You mean Matt Cassel, right? I doubt Ponder will keep the starting role.