• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will A New HC Mean to Some of Our Veteran Players?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You only trade DK right now if the draft pick compensation is significant, and I think that's pretty unlikely. You get no cap relief from moving him, so it would have to be about the draft pick(s). The focus at WR should really be about how to reduce Lockett's cap number.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's done. He body got too beat up, he's not the athlete he was, and he was blowing coverage all over last season (moreso than his mediocre coverage when we first traded for him). It was probably the biggest bust trade Seattle's ever given up picks/cap/money for (can't think of another).

I'll be absolutely blown away if they tried to restructure or keep him on the roster. And Diggs need to go as well... they're two of the highest paid and worst safeties in the league.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post june 1 saves 17+ mil. Seems like a no brainer.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post june 1 saves 17+ mil. Seems like a no brainer.

Mmm, unless you just want to rip the band-aid off now. Rams kind of did that... they just ate it all and then hit a ridiculous homerun on the draft and somehow Aaron Donald has beat the age odds keeping that D alive. Problem with a post June 1st cut is $10M shifts to next year and Geno is now $38M next year (unless the plan is to move on, you'd save $25M by cutting him next year, but still eat $13M).

Depends how much Seattle considers this a 'rebuild year' in terms of cap or hey we're going for it. If their plan is to compete and go for the playoffs, a post 6/1 cut makes sense. Now to me there is still a lot of talent left on this team. Witherspoon, Woolen, Love, Mafe, Jones (talented, didn't work well but perhaps MacDonald can fix em'), Hall (again, hoping MacDonald can fix), and then lots of offensive talent (line needs to be fixed up a bit) so I don't think the playoffs is at all out of the question...

Most of these guys are under contract through 2025 so do you try to just take it on the chin now and have an amazing position in 2025 (especially if you draft a QB/cut Geno) or keep the team competitive now?

I think they'll try to keep the team competitive now. That scheme Hurtt/Carroll was running the last 2 years was the most baffling thing I've seen in the NFL. 2-4-5, moving Jones to EDGE, no nose tackle whatsoever (true one anyway, I know Reed played it a little in Green Bay)... dropping DLs into zone, no schemes or adjustments whatsoever... that D last year had WAAAY too much talent to perform like that. The first year Carroll took over his D was better and it was a bunch of nobodies (or rookies).

If Seattle's D had been... hell 20th in the league last year we would've made the playoffs no problem. I know a lot of people look at offense and say "Well the offense wasn't that good." Eh, they were still almost top 10 YPA.... the problem was our defense had the 3rd worst (basically worst) 3rd down conversion % allowed and our offense could never get the F on the field, and when they did, the opposing team not only chewed a ton of clock, but scored too boot. I think because of the bad defense our offense was forced back into good ol' conservative playcalling and Waldron was basically sidelined because any turnover would be basically game over.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mmm, unless you just want to rip the band-aid off now. Rams kind of did that... they just ate it all and then hit a ridiculous homerun on the draft and somehow Aaron Donald has beat the age odds keeping that D alive. Problem with a post June 1st cut is $10M shifts to next year and Geno is now $38M next year (unless the plan is to move on, you'd save $25M by cutting him next year, but still eat $13M).

Depends how much Seattle considers this a 'rebuild year' in terms of cap or hey we're going for it. If their plan is to compete and go for the playoffs, a post 6/1 cut makes sense. Now to me there is still a lot of talent left on this team. Witherspoon, Woolen, Love, Mafe, Jones (talented, didn't work well but perhaps MacDonald can fix em'), Hall (again, hoping MacDonald can fix), and then lots of offensive talent (line needs to be fixed up a bit) so I don't think the playoffs is at all out of the question...

Most of these guys are under contract through 2025 so do you try to just take it on the chin now and have an amazing position in 2025 (especially if you draft a QB/cut Geno) or keep the team competitive now?

I think they'll try to keep the team competitive now. That scheme Hurtt/Carroll was running the last 2 years was the most baffling thing I've seen in the NFL. 2-4-5, moving Jones to EDGE, no nose tackle whatsoever (true one anyway, I know Reed played it a little in Green Bay)... dropping DLs into zone, no schemes or adjustments whatsoever... that D last year had WAAAY too much talent to perform like that. The first year Carroll took over his D was better and it was a bunch of nobodies (or rookies).

If Seattle's D had been... hell 20th in the league last year we would've made the playoffs no problem. I know a lot of people look at offense and say "Well the offense wasn't that good." Eh, they were still almost top 10 YPA.... the problem was our defense had the 3rd worst (basically worst) 3rd down conversion % allowed and our offense could never get the F on the field, and when they did, the opposing team not only chewed a ton of clock, but scored too boot. I think because of the bad defense our offense was forced back into good ol' conservative playcalling and Waldron was basically sidelined because any turnover would be basically game over.
Being middle of the draft says you have a team that can compete, just needs some more work in building up the roster. With another draft to infuse talent on D to go along with a revamped defensive scheme I see them making a run at the playoffs. The offense has talent and hopefully TL restructures and stays cause I'm excited to see what Grubb will scheme up with this talent.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being middle of the draft says you have a team that can compete, just needs some more work in building up the roster. With another draft to infuse talent on D to go along with a revamped defensive scheme I see them making a run at the playoffs. The offense has talent and hopefully TL restructures and stays cause I'm excited to see what Grubb will scheme up with this talent.

I would like to see a restructure too, but unless he takes less money I can't see it happening. He's owed $26M each year over the next 2 years... I think you gotta rip the band-aid off and see if he'll resign for less. Seattle right now has the 2nd highest 2024 cap hit for wide receivers. Only team with two receivers in the top 10 for cap hits. And Metcalf and Lockett are good receivers, but I don't think anyone would rank either in the top 10.

But who knows... I'm not a huge Husky follower, did Grubb rely on tight ends much? Because we have nobody to speak of there, so if we're just going to draft blockers or some bodies and basically only use WRs then I guess you keep him.

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not, was fully expecting his ass to be cut

2 years to late. After his 2021 season I would have bailed having to pay the dead cap in 2022 and 2023 seasons. It would be done and over with now and he added nothing to the team in 2022 and 2023. NOTHING! he made the team worse when on the field. Hell we saw that in 2021! The defense improved when he was gone. He hasn't had a sack since 2020 and that was one of the only things he was good at! I just feel had we not waited so long we very well could be in a MUCH better place right now than we are.

We will be looking for 2 safeties this offseason. Both need to be able to play NOW. ( grab Geno Stone in FA? sure! )

Last edited:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal opinion of Jamal Adams of why he would eventually get released was more less his attitude. Just watching this guy he walks around like he is a celebrity before and after the game but then gets burned by receivers. Its like he gives off this vibe of "I'm rich, I was an All Pro, I was a top 5 pick, you guys are lucky to have me." energy and when he was eventually benched for Julian Love whom I think is still trying to make himself still relevant and quality player in the league he was way more focused on doing his job. I think it was the players that had Jamal Adams attitude was the downfall of the team. The LOB was made up of a bunch of later round draft picks that were super focused on proving the public wrong that they weren't good. This defense is made up of high draft picks and former pro bowlers that felt they didn't need to be as focused.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the post-1 June thing, I hear you cannot use the current year cap savings but not really sure how that works.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years to late. After his 2021 season I would have bailed having to pay the dead cap in 2022 and 2023 seasons. It would be done and over with now and he added nothing to the team in 2022 and 2023. NOTHING! he made the team worse when on the field. Hell we saw that in 2021! The defense improved when he was gone. He hasn't had a sack since 2020 and that was one of the only things he was good at! I just feel had we not waited so long we very well could be in a MUCH better place right now than we are.

We will be looking for 2 safeties this offseason. Both need to be able to play NOW. ( grab Geno Stone in FA? sure! )

Love was doing okay at SS as the season went on and he got more reps. I think we can plug him there. Definitely a hole at FS though...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My personal opinion of Jamal Adams of why he would eventually get released was more less his attitude. Just watching this guy he walks around like he is a celebrity before and after the game but then gets burned by receivers. Its like he gives off this vibe of "I'm rich, I was an All Pro, I was a top 5 pick, you guys are lucky to have me." energy and when he was eventually benched for Julian Love whom I think is still trying to make himself still relevant and quality player in the league he was way more focused on doing his job. I think it was the players that had Jamal Adams attitude was the downfall of the team. The LOB was made up of a bunch of later round draft picks that were super focused on proving the public wrong that they weren't good. This defense is made up of high draft picks and former pro bowlers that felt they didn't need to be as focused.

Possibly although Woolen, Jackson, Brown and Diggs weren't high round picks, they were fairly late. Only Adams was top 5. Okay Witherspoon was but the secondary sucked before he got there. LOB had Thomas who wasn't top 5, but he was still a high round pick (top 15, in a STACKED class mind you - he'd have gone top 10 in most others).

I think it was just a different mindset. Sherman/Chancellor/Thomas, those guys wanted to win. They had leadership qualities. KJ Wright also did and talked about this. If someone wasn't doing their job or laughing on the sideline after losing, the locker room got after them. It wasn't Carroll.... the locker room has to handle that crap, and the players did.

Looking around Seattle, there's nobody on that D. Hard for a rookie like Witherspoon to come in and act like that. Wagner always struck me as a bit more reserved, and he's nearing the end of his career. Mebane was very much one of those locker room guys on the line... you may have had Williams but he was traded mid season, he had no repertoire with those guys. Carroll also had MORE of a presence early on because of what he did at USC and could connect with guys coming out of school so well (and let's face it, Seattle hit big time on drafts). After a decade, Carroll has very little power over those guys... I'm sure some of them are like, "Should've run the ball old timer."

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see a restructure too, but unless he takes less money I can't see it happening. He's owed $26M each year over the next 2 years... I think you gotta rip the band-aid off and see if he'll resign for less. Seattle right now has the 2nd highest 2024 cap hit for wide receivers. Only team with two receivers in the top 10 for cap hits. And Metcalf and Lockett are good receivers, but I don't think anyone would rank either in the top 10.

But who knows... I'm not a huge Husky follower, did Grubb rely on tight ends much? Because we have nobody to speak of there, so if we're just going to draft blockers or some bodies and basically only use WRs then I guess you keep him.
He's not getting that on the market so hopefully a restructure he'll think hard about.

Grubb did use his TE Westover...46rec 433yds 4TDs which isn't bad considering Penix had Rome, Polk, McMillan and Johnson in the backfield. It was a stacked offense. I hope they draft a Pass catching TE cause we could really use one to advance this offense.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly although Woolen, Jackson, Brown and Diggs weren't high round picks, they were fairly late. Only Adams was top 5. Okay Witherspoon was but the secondary sucked before he got there. LOB had Thomas who wasn't top 5, but he was still a high round pick (top 15, in a STACKED class mind you - he'd have gone top 10 in most others).

I think it was just a different mindset. Sherman/Chancellor/Thomas, those guys wanted to win. They had leadership qualities. KJ Wright also did and talked about this. If someone wasn't doing their job or laughing on the sideline after losing, the locker room got after them. It wasn't Carroll.... the locker room has to handle that crap, and the players did.

Looking around Seattle, there's nobody on that D. Hard for a rookie like Witherspoon to come in and act like that. Wagner always struck me as a bit more reserved, and he's nearing the end of his career. Mebane was very much one of those locker room guys on the line... you may have had Williams but he was traded mid season, he had no repertoire with those guys. Carroll also had MORE of a presence early on because of what he did at USC and could connect with guys coming out of school so well (and let's face it, Seattle hit big time on drafts). After a decade, Carroll has very little power over those guys... I'm sure some of them are like, "Should've run the ball old timer."

Yes I am also bases it on what KJ said I listen to his podcast and he did talk about how the mentality was on that team which is the polar opposite of this one. This is what I say about DK Metcalf as everyone says he is so awesome and yes talent wise he was probably better than Doug Baldwin but the huge difference between the two that doesn't show up on paper is that when the offense doesn't move the ball DB would be on the sidelines raging telling people to do their job. Metcalf would either smile and show his 6 pack or fight an opposing DB for a flag.

Also with PC I agree I have actually said this when he took over the Hawks coming out of USC if you are an older guy you would know exactly how great that USC program was it was basically Alabama back then just dominating everybody. However for guys like a Wisherspoon or even a Metcalf they either don't know or vaguely remember so Petes accolades really don't register with them. Also watching that fallout basically the whole team that went to the super bowl didn't help.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the the largely anticipated cuts of Dissly, Adams, and Diggs are official. I'm probably 80% expecting Adams to shoot his way out of town, as it just seems he's that kind of guy. As Schneider moves forward as "the" guy calling the shots, I hope he never forgets how awful that trade was. Just please stop trading 1st round picks for players, especially those you'll have to turn right around and pay as soon as you trade for them. Wouldn't mind trying to bring Dissly back for a lot less $. He just isn't close to being a $10M cap hit player, but he can also fill a role and provide value at a more reasonable cost.

Next on the salary cap reduction docket is probably TL. Still a good player but not as good as he was a couple years ago, and you just cannot have 2 WRs counting for 20% of your salary cap (and this is even with a bigger jump than expected for the '24 cap).

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the the largely anticipated cuts of Dissly, Adams, and Diggs are official. I'm probably 80% expecting Adams to shoot his way out of town, as it just seems he's that kind of guy. As Schneider moves forward as "the" guy calling the shots, I hope he never forgets how awful that trade was. Just please stop trading 1st round picks for players, especially those you'll have to turn right around and pay as soon as you trade for them. Wouldn't mind trying to bring Dissly back for a lot less $. He just isn't close to being a $10M cap hit player, but he can also fill a role and provide value at a more reasonable cost.

Next on the salary cap reduction docket is probably TL. Still a good player but not as good as he was a couple years ago, and you just cannot have 2 WRs counting for 20% of your salary cap (and this is even with a bigger jump than expected for the '24 cap).

Only team in the NFL with 2 wideouts being in the top 10 cap hit (although Evans' new contract may make them the 2nd and bump Metcalf who I think is #10 down).... and I'd find it tough to put Metcalf or Lockett as a top 10 WR at this point in their career. I would not be surprised if they cleared Adams because he's 100% useless but if Lockett becomes a post 6/1 cut or a trade candidate. I could see someone take some of his dead cap and offer a 3rd rounder for him. Lockett was still a productive receiver last year.

Last edited:

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only team in the NFL with 2 wideouts being in the top 10 cap hit (although Evans' new contract may make them the 2nd and bump Metcalf who I think is #10 down)....
It looks like Evans new extension still has a pretty small cap hit for 2024 -- just over $5M if I'm reading it right on Spotrac. I see what appears to be 3 void years on the back end. They'll have a bill come due at some point, but the cap just keeps going up and up. Almost always better to pay later with 0% interest.

and I'd find it tough to put Metcalf or Lockett as a top 10 WR at this point in their career.
We have seen Lockett's best football, so it just doesn't make sense to pay him an increased amount (cap-wise) as his skills are declining. DK may not be a top 10 guy, but at least he has the physical skill to maybe get there. Plus, he's still at an age where we can reasonably expect production to improve. Lots of physically dominant WRs are still peaking into their late 20s.

I would not be surprised if they cleared Adams because he's 100% useless but if Lockett becomes a post 6/1 cut or a trade candidate. I could see someone take some of his dead cap and offer a 3rd rounder for him. Lockett was still a productive receiver last year.
Still productive but probably just a possession guy at this point, as I believe he had 0 plays of over 40 yards in 2023. Since TL wasn't cut along with the 3 others, I take that to mean the team at least intends to pursue (or is pursuing) a restructure to keep him around at a reduced cost. I suppose a trade negotiation could be happening as well, but I have to think the team is at least thinking in the direction of something other than just cutting him since he's still here.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still productive but probably just a possession guy at this point, as I believe he had 0 plays of over 40 yards in 2023. Since TL wasn't cut along with the 3 others, I take that to mean the team at least intends to pursue (or is pursuing) a restructure to keep him around at a reduced cost. I suppose a trade negotiation could be happening as well, but I have to think the team is at least thinking in the direction of something other than just cutting him since he's still here.

Yah that's my thought. Adams/Diggs were not worth $2M let alone $26/20M respectively. Dissly $10M lol... Kelce is like $15M lol.. I did like Dissly early on, but the guy can't stay healthy.. Those guys were worth like 10-20% of their cap hit, easy cuts.

Now Lockett... certainly not worth $26M, but like $13M? 50% of his value? Sure... I think most teams would be fine to have Lockett for $13M especially if in a little more of a reduced capacity... I think that's why Seattle is thinking through things.

Mone was also cut (another no brainer, like $4M cap saved). I mean at this point you maybe have like Bellore... but Seattle has kind of trimmed out everything they can, with exception of Lockett or Reed. Reed is about $6M this year (like $5M saved if we cut), but he actually earned it last year at least as a pass rusher IMO. $6M for a decent interior pass rusher is worth (especially when you just move on a year later and he's getting older)... you should be able to find run defenders for far cheaper. And maybe Cam Young can take a step forward.