• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will A New HC Mean to Some of Our Veteran Players?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe or maybe not. I suspect since Geno has to be released in February or keep him for the season, thanks to the contract, it makes it more challenging to release him even though I'm sure the new HC won't think he's worth 31 million. It's pretty standard for new hires to want to go with their own choice at QB unless it's a upper tier QB in place, so lets just see how this plays out

Well I'm sure the new coach would love to be able to bring in his QB of choice. But that doesn't mean that such a QB is available to him. It's unlikely that such a coach is going to be all in for whatever QB falls to us.

Cam Ward going back to college instead of the draft doesn't help.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you didn't. Because you wanted the Seahawks to do the same thing last year that you want them to do this year. Draft a QB and pray that it works out and have no real contingency plan.
Yes I wanted that crucial foundation piece last year when they were flushed with draft capitol and draft position. Instead Pete and JS decided to pass on a QB and ride Geno. How did that work out? Third place in the division, missed the playoffs and no QB of the future on the roster. Now your arguing the Seahawks need to continue to lean on Geno because golly gee it can get worse without Geno here ( never mind that can happen with or without Geno). I stand with my take last draft, that a franchise QB should of been priority #1 with a bullet

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll say this, Geno's dead money is peanuts compared to the dead money the Bronco's are taking with the RW contract ( or so it appears). However bad contracts are abundant in the NFL but I won't justify Geno's contract by saying well it not as terrible as X contract or Y contract so therefore it's a good contract.

Geno's contract is nowhere near a bad contract. The Jamal Adams contract is a bad contract. The Deshaun Watson contract is a bad contract.

If Geno were really as bad as you seem to think then we would just cut him and eat the 17 million. Not the end of the world. But he wasn't. He was competent.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I wanted that crucial foundation piece last year when they were flushed with draft capitol and draft position. Instead Pete and JS decided to pass on a QB and ride Geno. How did that work out? Third place in the division, missed the playoffs and no QB of the future on the roster. Now your arguing the Seahawks need to continue to lean on Geno because golly gee it can get worse without Geno here ( never mind that can happen with or without Geno). I stand with my take last draft, that a franchise QB should of been priority #1 with a bullet

There was only 1 QB available when the Seahawks drafted. Of course everyone now says that we should have traded up for CJ Stroud but NO ONE was advocating for the Seahawks to do that before the draft.

Giving up a ton of draft capital to move up for a QB is a really risky move. Just ask the Panthers. Or the Bears.

I'm arguing that cutting Geno before you have a plan for his replacement his negligence. I'm perfectly fine with the Seahawks moving on from Geno IF they have a plan. But hoping someone with be available when we draft isn't a plan. It's a prayer.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's contract is nowhere near a bad contract. The Jamal Adams contract is a bad contract. The Deshaun Watson contract is a bad contract.

If Geno were really as bad as you seem to think then we would just cut him and eat the 17 million. Not the end of the world. But he wasn't. He was competent.
The Seahawks may just cut him and eat the 17 million. I endorse the idea. Your back to justifying Geno's contract by saying it's not as bad as X or Y so therefore it's a good contract.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was only 1 QB available when the Seahawks drafted. Of course everyone now says that we should have traded up for CJ Stroud but NO ONE was advocating for the Seahawks to do that before the draft.

Giving up a ton of draft capital to move up for a QB is a really risky move. Just ask the Panthers. Or the Bears.

I'm arguing that cutting Geno before you have a plan for his replacement his negligence. I'm perfectly fine with the Seahawks moving on from Geno IF they have a plan. But hoping someone with be available when we draft isn't a plan. It's a prayer.
There's always a plan, there are always options. The problem was Pete deluded himself ( and apparently JS) that he could win a Super Bowl with Geno therefor he had no interest in spending a first on a QB. You don't need a QB in hand to have a fall back plan.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks may just cut him and eat the 17 million. I endorse the idea. Your back to justifying Geno's contract by saying it's not as bad as X or Y so therefore it's a good contract.

Yes I know you support cutting him outright. And then just hope that things work out.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goodness in how Geno's contract is structured is that if the Hawks wanted to, they actually could move on from him now and still save cap space in doing it (cost of having player on the team > cost of cutting him). This is not the case in Denver, NO, Vegas, NYG, Arizona, Dallas, and probably many other places. The Hawks have leverage and options at their disposal with Geno that other teams do not with their QBs. I would say that is team-friendly.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if Geno regresses next year ( won't be a surprise) and struggles with the new offense, you've heard the saying about old dogs and new tricks , right?

The new HC and OC are going to be given a pass with a rookie QB behind center at least year one.
A bigger regression would put the Hawks higher up in the draft but no idea about the 2025 QB prospects at this moment.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goodness in how Geno's contract is structured is that if the Hawks wanted to, they actually could move on from him now and still save cap space in doing it (cost of having player on the team > cost of cutting him). This is not the case in Denver, NO, Vegas, NYG, Arizona, Dallas, and probably many other places. The Hawks have leverage and options at their disposal with Geno that other teams do not with their QBs. I would say that is team-friendly.
See for me the idea of Geno being the starter next year is depressing and the idea of paying him 31 million to be the back up doesn't appeal either.

Reactions: MrS

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See for me the idea of Geno being the starter next year is depressing and the idea of paying him 31 million to be the back up doesn't appeal either.
But your emotions have zero to do with whether his contract is team friendly. I'm laying out the facts of the matter to show why I think it is.

What the Hawks should or will do is a completely different discussion, but your takeaway *should* be that the team actually can make what you want happen because of the contract structure. I don't know why you can't see that.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stroud was the one guy I wanted the Hawks to trade up for. Saw plenty of OSU games his last 2yrs there and I thought he had that "it" factor. Once Carolina traded up, pretty much knew no way Houston was moving for 2 but shocked when they moved up to 3.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your emotions have zero to do with whether his contract is team friendly. I'm laying out the facts of the matter to show why I think it is.

What the Hawks should or will do is a completely different discussion, but your takeaway *should* be that the team actually can make what you want happen because of the contract structure. I don't know why you can't see that.
Teams can always do what they want with players contract, see RW and Bronco's for evidence. Having to pay Geno 17 million to go away or pay him 31 million to be on the roster just isn't a appetizing choice IMO.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams can always do what they want with players contract, see RW and Bronco's for evidence. Having to pay Geno 17 million to go away or pay him 31 million to be on the roster just isn't a appetizing choice IMO.
Of course, what I said previously was the Hawks can cut Geno and save cap space. Denver cannot do that with RW, but they may still cut him but with a HUGE cap penalty. Saints, Giants, and other teams are in a situation similar to Denver's. The Hawks are not because of how Geno's contract is structured.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, what I said previously was the Hawks can cut Geno and save cap space. Denver cannot do that with RW, but they may still cut him but with a HUGE cap penalty. Saints, Giants, and other teams are in a situation similar to Denver's. The Hawks are not because of how Geno's contract is structured.
OK then lets cut him then.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always a plan, there are always options. The problem was Pete deluded himself ( and apparently JS) that he could win a Super Bowl with Geno therefor he had no interest in spending a first on a QB. You don't need a QB in hand to have a fall back plan.

Well how bout having a plan first?

The Seahawks defense is terrible. We need to get that fixed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would be good in an Abbott & Costello routine.

It's obvious that some people just want to get rid of Geno for the sake of getting rid of Geno.