• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting what they say about the Kings.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL’s best surprises and biggest disappointments halfway through the 2023-24 seasonThe NHL’s best surprises and biggest disappointments halfway through the 2023-24 season

Best surprise: Trevor Moore erupting as a goal scorer

Cam Talbot’s rebound season after a difficult year in Ottawa certainly deserves a strong look here but who could have imagined Moore leading the Kings with 18 goals and potentially making a strong bid at a 30-goal season? He’s already surpassed his previous career high of 17 set in his breakout 2021-22 season. Moore has had a rebound of his own after an upper-body injury played a large part in him regressing to 10 goals in just 59 games last season. And while he’s shooting a career-best 14.8 percent, it’s not as if he’s scoring at an astronomical rate. He’s right behind Adrian Kempein shots on goal and should hit the 200 mark for the second time.

Biggest disappointment: PL Dubois not making a difference

That was the goal when Kings general manager Rob Blake moved Gabriel Vilardi, Alex Iafallo and Rasmus Kupari for the 25-year-old Dubois. He was supposed to give Los Angeles unparalleled depth at center, fitting in with Anze Kopitar, Phillip Danault and Blake Lizotte. Instead, Dubois is headed for career lows over a full season as he’s on a pace for just 15 goals and 34 points. He had three goals in his first four games and has only four in 33 since. To be fair, Dubois has often played with unfinished young forwards Alex Laferriere and Arthur Kaliyev. But coach Todd McLellan has tried him with Kevin Fiala, taken to putting the high-scoring Kempe on his wing and even demoting him briefly to the fourth line in order to help get him going. With Vilardi and Iafallo playing great for NHL-leading Winnipeg, the trade has so far been decidedly in the Jets’ favor. — Eric Stephens

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya PLD disappointing so far, especially since i think he should help protect leads...since Buster is on the wing, should have drafted Stutzle instead if we are going to knock problems. Stutzle has almost double the points as Buster has games played, the biggest problem with Stutzle is hes a flopper...someone beat that out of him, way to skilled for that. TM has been a bright spot....

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya PLD disappointing so far, especially since i think he should help protect leads...since Buster is on the wing, should have drafted Stutzle instead if we are going to knock problems. Stutzle has almost double the points as Buster has games played, the biggest problem with Stutzle is hes a flopper...someone beat that out of him, way to skilled for that. TM has been a bright spot....

I won't die on this hill, but I would not put the Stutzle draft pick in the same realm as the PLD move. I get that Stutzle has the points, but Ottawa still hasn't done anything or even sniffed any success. I play fantasy hockey and they have some point studs, but that doesn't automatically translate to success. Easy to rack up points losing 6-5 every night. Or losing 7-3 but he sneaks out a few assists. I think Byfield could still be what LA wanted, and let me continue to fill out his frame and stuff. Judge this one in about two years. LA is so weird with prospects. I wanted to write off Kempe FOREVER, and then in like his 7th year he just emerged.

But PLD. That's something else entirely. Maybe he just sucks? I mean underperformed in his 3rd stint now. I really just can't get over the money/cap. To give him the max 8 years at that number based on his history is really baffling me lately. I assumed they knew something about PLD, and that's why they made the move, but looking now, it feels like Blake fell in love with the idea of PLD more than anything. Strengthen LA down the middle nd just dominate through their depth. I guess that's the hardest part too. PLD isn't doing much, and he's playing on the 3rd line. So he's not exactly battling the top guys each night. He should be feasting. I know the counter to that is that he's on the 3rd, so he's paired with 3rd line talent, but I feel like it's on him, with his cap hit, to make stuff happen.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely somebody who doesn't care much about points. If you're doing some of the other things you need to do to win a game. But, I will also say if you have a top 5 picK you take the top player in the draft That was Stutzle. Imagine the scoring you would have with him playing with kopatar and kempe. PLD is only 4 years older than Buster and its not his fault Blake signed him to that deal and then he gets played 3rd line minutes. He really hasnt had much of a chance doing much else. I do disagree about 3rd liners, they actually play most of the toughest minutes, disadvantaged play....thats normally what they do. To really be fair with PLD either give him a real shot with top line minutes and PP time or look up what kind of production most "top" 3rd lines C's have....if its more than 40 points i would be very suprised. That trade is one of the few that must be judged in a couple seasons, if PLD doesnt take over as a 2C and The Legend plays more than 60games and signs cheap then i think you can call it the worst trade ever.....right now the legend is playing with guys that where leading the league in goals WHILE he was hurt....of course adding his skill is going to make him look like McLegend. I do want more out of PLD, but i am trying to be fair (not a homer)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm definitely somebody who doesn't care much about points. If you're doing some of the other things you need to do to win a game. But, I will also say if you have a top 5 picK you take the top player in the draft That was Stutzle. Imagine the scoring you would have with him playing with kopatar and kempe. PLD is only 4 years older than Buster and its not his fault Blake signed him to that deal and then he gets played 3rd line minutes. He really hasnt had much of a chance doing much else. I do disagree about 3rd liners, they actually play most of the toughest minutes, disadvantaged play....thats normally what they do. To really be fair with PLD either give him a real shot with top line minutes and PP time or look up what kind of production most "top" 3rd lines C's have....if its more than 40 points i would be very suprised. That trade is one of the few that must be judged in a couple seasons, if PLD doesnt take over as a 2C and The Legend plays more than 60games and signs cheap then i think you can call it the worst trade ever.....right now the legend is playing with guys that where leading the league in goals WHILE he was hurt....of course adding his skill is going to make him look like McLegend. I do want more out of PLD, but i am trying to be fair (not a homer)

This is fair. I did want Stutzle at the time, but I remember it was sort of understand that he was more ready at the time to make that jump than Byfield, who was like 17 and definitely a project. But there was no consensus. Again, Blake and his fixation with centers was really starting to solidify at this time. I didn't know he was a center addict until the PLD move. I did always feel that was one of the most underrated aspects of the 90's Red Wings, their 3rd line. They had McCarty, Draper, and Maltby, all of which I hated, especially Maltby. But the ability to throw your 3rd line out there in meaningful minutes against the other top lines was so clutch. Kings had that too with the Stoll line. Just have a full line that can go out there and be a little physical and not be a liability. Even contribute some. Despite all the huge names Detroit had every year, that was such a lesser celebrated aspect of their team.

I don't think this team looks built to overtake Vegas or Edmonton (Maybe Edmonton), but they for sure aren't as bad as this losing streak. So, to me, that's on the coaching. Like how Sutter came in and it felt like it was night and day. Sometimes guys just lose the locker room as well. So without doing anything crazy harsh, I would see how this year plays out, and then make a decision on McLellan.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spent a little time looking at the Kings roster. I think the Kings should target a C come TDL. Either someone like Kevin hayes who is big and takes some space in this system or preferably go after Frost in Philly. Kid is in the shithouse with Torts and will block shots, hit and has offensive upside. I think getting a solid C will help answer a lot of ??? Moving forward and let them play PLD in some good offensive situations with Kopi/Kempe to see whst happens. I think its very important to sort this all out this season while we know this roster has issues

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hers the thing, is it the minutes he’s playing, or is it his linemates, or something else entirely? I don’t know. What I do know, is he hasn’t lived up to EARNING those minutes. If you watch him away from the puck, he’s not moving most of the time. Sure there are flashes of promise, but so far I’m hugely disappointed with the trade.
And if you do move him to the top line or the second line, who’s to say that anything will change. So far he’s a player that got what he wanted, but now lacks the motivation to produce. I believe that was always a knock on him, that he’s unmotivated.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hers the thing, is it the minutes he’s playing, or is it his linemates, or something else entirely? I don’t know. What I do know, is he hasn’t lived up to EARNING those minutes. If you watch him away from the puck, he’s not moving most of the time. Sure there are flashes of promise, but so far I’m hugely disappointed with the trade.
And if you do move him to the top line or the second line, who’s to say that anything will change. So far he’s a player that got what he wanted, but now lacks the motivation to produce. I believe that was always a knock on him, that he’s unmotivated.

All that very possible, other than earning those minutes IMO. He has never had a chance at anything else in LA. He somehow earned an 8m contract but that wasnt enough to at least try him with more and better minutes.....like 1 game? Could it be this 1 3 1 thing? Could it be quality pp time? Could it be his type of linemates? Could it be he sucks? Could it be the pressure? Is he lazy? Could it be the coach is to fucking predictable and hard headed to even try to figure it out? Thats where im at, when do you try something different?