• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Assessing a QB (Beyond Competency)

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No but you have to play the hand you were dealt. The big question this year was how Howell would do as QB1. Sure, he has made mistakes, but I think he is playing above expectations right now.
Again, you're judging him on competency, when fit is the best measuring stick. (Baker Mayfield is competent too!)

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will give you this... he's a number 1 on this team but that's about it.

oh cmon. Tm wouldn't be the #1 Wr in Houston, Colts, Broncos, Packers, and Cards right now?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you're judging him on competency, when fit is the best measuring stick. (Baker Mayfield is competent too!)

you dont think Howell fits Eb's offense?

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Generational QBs can only be proven if they either change teams or change systems. These players include Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and to a lesser extent Drew Brees. Brett Favre almost fit this but he had too many WTF plays in his career. I would also put Montana and Marino here…maybe Warren Moon.

Patrick Mahomes is off to the greatest start to a career ever. I believe he could be a generational talent but to see proof would require excellence elsewhere or without Reid.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh cmon. Tm wouldn't be the #1 Wr in Houston, Colts, Broncos, Packers, and Cards right now?
All desperate situations looking for upgrades in talent. In fact, here's an updated ranking of 60 WRs through 6 games this year. What are your thoughts on this?

1697160242539.png1697160320437.png1697160348820.png1697160373523.png

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont think Howell fits Eb's offense?
I don't think that Howell fits the personnel around him because he neither enhances their play nor benefits from their lack of excellence! I would have to see a team filled with guys that EB wants in order to make that assessment. Even then, I believe that Howell would serve the same purpose as Alex Smith did when he played for the Chiefs. Keep in mind that Alex Smith was a very competent QB in Kansas City, but when they saw a chance to upgrade they pounced. I am convinced that this man, EB, who is so demanding of excellence would do the exact same thing if he found himself in the same situation.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warren Moon .... 102-101; 58% completion percentage; 290 TDs to 233 Ints ... not generational talent

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that Howell fits the personnel around him because he neither enhances their play nor benefits from their lack of excellence! I would have to see a team filled with guys that EB wants in order to make that assessment. Even then, I believe that Howell would serve the same purpose as Alex Smith did when he played for the Chiefs. Keep in mind that Alex Smith was a very competent QB in Kansas City, but when they saw a chance to upgrade they pounced. I am convinced that this man, EB, who is so demanding of excellence would do the exact same thing if he found himself in the same situation.

Its really early, but i like what I see in Howell so far.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too early to judge what Howell may or may not be. The up in the air situation the Skins are as a team isn't helping his situation any.

Terry Mac is a #1 WR imo. It'd be a lot easier to see if his career wasn't spent in an unstable puzzle factory like Washington.

Sty, the way I'm reading that ranking on WRs. I think its specific to week 6 n week 6 alone.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes scored 19 pts in EB's offense last night against the team Howell scored plenty more on. We need an OL to go with our playmakers and a competent TE. Add a competent defense and you've got something.

i agree. the big question coming into the season was Howell and the defense would have to carry the team. Now that's reversed. If the defense gets back to what it supposed to be we have something this year.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree. the big question coming into the season was Howell and the defense would have to carry the team. Now that's reversed. If the defense gets back to what it supposed to be we have something this year.
Again....transition year Dean.

As long as Rivera is at the helm...there is no "something this year". You yourself admitted he "suxed" as a GM. I will add that he "suxs" as a coach. I am much more worried about Howell's development this year than our record. There will hopefully be mass change in the offseason so having "something" this year is literally not on my top 10 wish list for the team.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again....transition year Dean.

As long as Rivera is at the helm...there is no "something this year". You yourself admitted he "suxed" as a GM. I will add that he "suxs" as a coach. I am much more worried about Howell's development this year than our record. There will hopefully be mass change in the offseason so having "something" this year is literally not on my top 10 wish list for the team.

well, I would like to see the team win this year. IF the defense was doing what it was supposed to do, we could win. So, winning is not in your top 10 list this year?

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like everyone is saying, it will take some change to turn the tide. We need a new voice, new leadership, new direction. Not a rinse, wash, repeat but a REAL FKING coach with balls and vision moving forward. We have talent, need more talent and WILL make some noise if we can get a REAL GM and REAL HC after seasons end. As mentioned before, make the changes and the future starting next year looks brighter.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, I would like to see the team win this year. IF the defense was doing what it was supposed to do, we could win. So, winning is not in your top 10 list this year?
Not at all.
Why would it?

It's a transition year to a new front office and hopefully new coaching staff. We are building for the future. I could not care less about what Rivera and his circus act are doing because it will all change hopefully in Janaury 2024!

Player development and EBs development are what i care about...especially howell. Who knows which players will be gone as skinsdad. Wake me up when the season is over.
Rivera and JDR don't care about winning, so why would I? And don't try to tell me Rivera truly cares about winning. He doesn't even talk to the team or make obvious coaching changes.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.
Why would it?

It's a transition year to a new front office and hopefully new coaching staff. We are building for the future. I could not care less about what Rivera and his circus act are doing because it will all change hopefully in Janaury 2024!

Player development and EBs development are what i care about...especially howell. Who knows which players will be gone as skinsdad. Wake me up when the season is over.
Rivera and JDR don't care about winning, so why would I? And don't try to tell me Rivera truly cares about winning. He doesn't even talk to the team or make obvious coaching changes.
dean is year to year without any vision of the future . he is perfectly content with a sham playoff appearance and he is happy . you and i want something more .

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dean is year to year without any vision of the future . he is perfectly content with a sham playoff appearance and he is happy . you and i want something more .
Agreed...well stated

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all.
Why would it?

are you going to watch the games this year? I know how you feel about RR and company.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

im happy when the team wins. sham or not