• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unpopular opinions you have about football

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because you are talking apples & oranges.
Some Champions were just givien by best record (sort of)
Then they went to just a Championship game.
then to one playoff game (once they created divisions or conferences) to see who plays in the Championship Game.
pre super bowl era teams often played different amount of games. Some playing a lot more or less games.
Also didnt include ties. the game is like it didnt count. one year a 6-1-6 Bears were made Champs over a 10-3-1 Packers because ties didnt count.
Bears 6-1 over Packers 10-3.

Superbowl era jumps from 14 teams to 26 teams & a whole playoff system with a more structured rule set.

So pre-Superbowl era is apples & oranges different from the Superbowl Era.

Its still called history........And you cant change history because of rule changes.....Theres no taking it back....

They dont change personal records because of the rule changes after all these years,so not sure why a person wants to exclude the 44 yrs of the NFL before the SB started.........

I think it is what is.......

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its still called history........And you cant change history because of rule changes.....Theres no taking it back....

They dont change personal records because of the rule changes after all these years,so not sure why a person wants to exclude the 44 yrs of the NFL before the SB started.........

I think it is what is.......
I dont know. Sports do this.

In Nascar we have Nascar History & Modern Era History.
We acknowledge both, but depending on the conversation use one or the other. It is also apples & oranges depending on the discussion.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unpopular opinions you have about football:​

1) A catch should be completed in bounds. Once you touch out-of-bounds the play is immediately over. If you touch out of bounds before the process is complete then you did not complete the process.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is hardly an unpopular opinion. I think a lot of us agree with you.
Actually I'm wrong about this. It's the 2nd stupidest penalty in football. The stupidest is that hit the QB on his helmet get 15 yards penalty. And I'm not talking about purposely head slapping the QB like you were Deacon Jones head slapping an OT. I mean the unintentional, doesn't cause the QB any issue whatsoever cuz he has that hard ass plastic helmet protecting his dome can't even classify it as a slap penalty.

And I wanna slap the shit out of every talking head that says, "That's a penalty." after it happens.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually I'm wrong about this. It's the 2nd stupidest penalty in football. The stupidest is that hit the QB on his helmet get 15 yards penalty. And I'm not talking about purposely head slapping the QB like you were Deacon Jones head slapping an OT. I mean the unintentional, doesn't cause the QB any issue whatsoever cuz he has that hard ass plastic helmet protecting his dome can't even classify it as a slap penalty.

And I wanna slap the shit out of every talking head that says, "That's a penalty." after it happens.
I remember the tip of a middle finger barely grazed the facemask of Tom brady & they threw the flag for a blow to the head LOL
There definitely should be a difference of touching the head & a hit to the head. that rule definitely needs to be amended.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't need any more teams. How many teams now have true NFL caliber rosters? How many have even one starting QB who belongs in the NFL?

The number of games in a season is about right, too. We're on the edge of having enough players on the roster to support 16 games, and then there are playoffs. I hate to see championships decided by attrition.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The rules protecting QBs have gone WAY overboard.
A. A defender should be able to hit a QB in the helmet. It's crazy to expect a 6'4 DE to tackle a 6'4 QB without touching his head.
B. A defender who is on the ground shouldn't have to get back up to tackle the QB.
C. It should be intentional grounding if a QB throws the ball away without an eligible receiver being in the area

2. The season should remain at 16 games.

3. The playoff expansion this year should be done away with.

4. Pick plays should be flagged far more often and barred from being in playbooks.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok fair enough. at least you were willing to admit to gruden being a "good coach of his time", and not a bum, as some people try to perpetuate
John Gruden is my favorite coach

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Gruden is my favorite coach
yxNzA4.gif

"hey, thank ya very much, man"

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sort of a crappy list. It's not a good sign when only the top 6 or 7 are legitimate HOF'ers.

I thought there were more good ones.

There were. Off the top of my head they missed Don Maynard and Tommy MacDonald.

We Are Decent

Depressed Penn State Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Conference Pride is stupid. If my team doesn't make the playoffs or a specific bowl game, why would I care about other teams that mean nothing to me.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate the "blind side block" rule. Most of the player protection rules I can live with. But your only "blind side" should be behind you. Anything else should be fair game.

Chief Cola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense doesn't win championships.

I understand purists want to feel like their so-so QB just needs to take care of the football and the defense/special teams/running game can win you a championship. I know you can point to the 2000 Ravens and some key defensive stops/plays over the years.

The problem is I watched Brady and Manning cockblock the rest of the AFC for most of the past 20 years. Yes their respective teams did have good defenses sometimes but in the end it was usually their skill as QBs that made the difference in the playoffs.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i find it appalling that the NFL feels that teams can not hire coaches based on how they fit where the team is looking to go but must consider the race of the coach as the deciding factor

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the spirit of the initial post (unpopular opinions about football), and in David Letterman style.........the Top Ten unpopular opinions about football, the NFL edition:

10. We need more commercials during the games
9. We can never have enough replay reviews
8. Refs always make the right calls
7. Mitch Trubisky was a steal for the Bears with the 2nd pick in the draft
6. There's something soothing about Michael Irvin's voice
5. Colin Kaepernick for President in '24!!!
4. NFL ticket prices are a total bargain
3. What's there not to like about Roger Goodell?
2. Flag football brings an element of excitement and danger sorely missing in today's panzy NFL

And the #1 unpopular opinion about football...............

1. There are never enough shots of Jerry Jones during a Cowboys game

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably has been mentioned, but what about the FTTEZ? That is highly polemic. I say f* that.