• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unpopular opinions you have about football

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big name wide receivers are a dime a dozen in the NFL.

Possibly one of the most easily interchangeable parts in the entire league.

Agreed with this one, at least in terms of receivers commanding elite money. Sure having an elite wide receiver is nice, but it never seems worth it to spend the salary cap money on them compared to average or above average receivers. I'll take a top tier O-line over and elite WR or RB any day.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linemen, both offensive and defensive, are easily the most important positions in football other than QB.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Linemen, both offensive and defensive, are easily the most important positions in football other than QB.

Three most important positions on a football team.

1. Quarterback
2. Left Tackle
3. Right Defensive End

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three most important positions on a football team.

1. Quarterback
2. Left Tackle
3. Right Defensive End

Unless of course, the QB in question is left-handed. In that case, I'd go Right Tackle at #2 and Left Defensive End at #3.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
women broadcasters and sideline reporters have no place and only serves to the NFL greed to capture a larger percentage of women viewers

Figures... What a guy!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how I feel about the NBA.
It's a more common complaint about the NBA.

Watching the AFC playoffs the past two years has been pretty laughable but throughout history there have been a number of really suspect teams in the playoffs. Eagles and Patriots were both pretty banged up last year. Too many bums for a world championship

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Gruden is one of the most overrated NFL coaches of all time. He has a total winning percentage of .540, and is viewed as a all-time great. Meanwhile, Brad Childress's was .519, and he is widely considered a bum as a head coach. Let that sink in.

The only reason Gruden is viewed so favorably is because he managed to ride the Tony Dungy built Bucs team to a Superbowl title in his first year with the team in 2002. Other than that, his accolades aren't that much better than numerous coaches that are viewed in a much lesser light than himself.

wait...so if he "rode" dungy's team to a title, why didn't dungy win a title with that team before he gruden had a chance to? and does anybody remember how horrendous the raiders teams of the mid-90's were before gruden was brought on board in 1998, helping to build them into one of the best team in the league during the '00, '01 and '02 seasons? when i hear people parrot the "gruden sucks" line, i think it's because they've become fatigued by his presence in the booth, in commercials, on sportscenter, etc etc, and they feel like, "hey, yeah, he actually sucks! yeah!" i just don't buy it. was he one of the greatest coaches ever? of course not. was he godawful? of course not. and no, brad childress wasn't as bad as people (mainly dipshit vikings fans frustrated with always having the worst luck ever) like to say he was.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait...so if he "rode" dungy's team to a title, why didn't dungy win a title with that team before he gruden had a chance to? and does anybody remember how horrendous the raiders teams of the mid-90's were before gruden was brought on board in 1998, helping to build them into one of the best team in the league during the '00, '01 and '02 seasons? when i hear people parrot the "gruden sucks" line, i think it's because they've become fatigued by his presence in the booth, in commercials, on sportscenter, etc etc, and they feel like, "hey, yeah, he actually sucks! yeah!" i just don't buy it. was he one of the greatest coaches ever? of course not. was he godawful? of course not. and no, brad childress wasn't as bad as people (mainly dipshit vikings fans frustrated with always having the worst luck ever) like to say he was.

We'll never know if Dungy would have finished the job in Tampa, so Gruden does deserve a degree of credit for that, but let's not act like it wasn't mostly Dungy's doing regardless for building that team. The fact that Dungy later won a title with Indy proved that he was a Superbowl caliber NFL coach, so it's a moot point to act like Gruden is on the same or higher level due to the Tampa title.

As to your other points, again, look at his entire body of work. Gruden's total winning percentage of .540 is a lot closer to that of Brad Childress's .519 than Dungy's .652, yet people put Gruden on the same level as greats like Dungy while calling many guys with similar records as Gruden bums. How does that make sense? In the end, Gruden's full body of work just doesn't compare to true legends. He was a good coach of his time, but not legendary like he is remembered as for whatever reason.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll never know if Dungy would have finished the job in Tampa, so Gruden does deserve a degree of credit for that, but let's not act like it wasn't mostly Dungy's doing regardless for building that team. The fact that Dungy later won a title with Indy proved that he was a Superbowl caliber NFL coach, so it's a moot point to act like Gruden is on the same or higher level due to the Tampa title.

As to your other points, again, look at his entire body of work. Gruden's total winning percentage of .540 is a lot closer to that of Brad Childress's .519 than Dungy's .652, yet people put Gruden on the same level as greats like Dungy while calling many guys with similar records as Gruden bums. How does that make sense? In the end, Gruden's full body of work just doesn't compare to true legends. He was a good coach of his time, but not legendary like he is remembered as for whatever reason.

ok fair enough. at least you were willing to admit to gruden being a "good coach of his time", and not a bum, as some people try to perpetuate

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Patriots cheated. At least no more than any other team.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking obvious cheap dirty shots like the hit Gronkowksi laid on that Bills player should result in 2+ game suspensions. Players who consistently play dirty like Ndamukong Suh and Vozonte Burfict should be banned from the league altogether. They don't need to turn football into a real life version of WWE with actual injury consequences intended by players who purposely play dirty.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when a QB runs & starts his slide at the very last second & gets drilled, there should be no flag for the hit.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that the Chinese slaves only have to work half as long to make one of Zeke's shirts.