• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things Jim Harbaugh has done (it's amazing)

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah...not really. I probably would think of Clemson or Alabama.

As far as that "who has it better than us" video by JH I've always looked at it as Harbaugh trying to pimp up UofM football. As in him saying "who has it better than us" since he's in ann arbor.

And anyone saying the Buckeyes are in the same league with the Tigers or Tide I'd disagree. It's Clemson/Bama right now. Then everyone else.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that Ohio State lost a close game to Clemson they are equal or near equal? I guess North Carolina needs to be in the discussion now. I think a better comparison would be to look at multiple seasons. Just my two cents.

"i guess north carolina needs to be in the discussion now" :pound:

Yeah a team that finsihed 7-6 should be in the discussion. Care to explain why?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Clemson and Alabama are Shaq, then OSU would at least be Alonzo Mourning.

OSU is the closest to Clemson and Bama right now, but it isn’t even remotely close and OSU has a long way to go.

LSU, if they can find QB’s, to go along with the elite WR’s they seem to have every year — they have a shot to be up there too.

Tough to say you are right behind those two teams, when OSU has lost to teams like Purdue and Iowa by 30 over the last few years.

Right now — OSU is Yao Ming in the B1G. While the rest of the B1G is Spud Webb.

But until OSU has won nationally like Clemson and Bama — they will be 1a and 1b with a slew of other teams in the 2nd tier, not really close to them.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"i guess north carolina needs to be in the discussion now" :pound:

Yeah a team that finsihed 7-6 should be in the discussion. Care to explain why?

Well, I thought the post I responded to was inferring that Ohio St lost a close game to Clemson, so now both programs are near the same limit. By that reasoning, UNC lost a close game to Clemson this season too.

I’m not sure if he meant it that way, but that is what I was referring to.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I thought the post I responded to was inferring that Ohio St lost a close game to Clemson, so now both programs are near the same limit. By that reasoning, UNC lost a close game to Clemson this season too. I’m not sure if he meant it that way, but that is what I was referring to.

You really think finishing 7-6 is the same as finishing 13-1? Damn.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like one person bragging about being taller. One is 6' 1" tall, the other is 6' 4"...all while Shaq is standing next to them.

Who has it better than us...Clemson and Bama do. It's not even close right now.

That video is legendary...although I'm not sure if Harbaugh is going ever going back it up. I'm just glad that Ohio State seems to still measure their value by how it compares to Michigan. It makes us Michigan fans feel better for sure. I think that may play a part in keeping them from rising to Bama and Clemson's level. They had an amazing team this year, and still couldn't get past them.
M e n t a l g y m n a s t i c s

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU is the closest to Clemson and Bama right now, but it isn’t even remotely close and OSU has a long way to go.

LSU, if they can find QB’s, to go along with the elite WR’s they seem to have every year — they have a shot to be up there too.

Tough to say you are right behind those two teams, when OSU has lost to teams like Purdue and Iowa by 30 over the last few years.

But until OSU has won nationally like Clemson and Bama — they will be 1a and 1b with a slew of other teams in the 2nd tier, not really close to them.
If OSU had won the title this year, they would be tied with Bama and Clemson for CFP NCs, so no, they don't have a long way to go. The fact that OSU was every bit as good as Clemson this year, and was better than Bama, would just support that even more. I'm not saying OSU is directly on there level, but I'd say it's:

1a/1b: Clemson and Bama
2: OSU

3: Everyone else

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If OSU had won the title this year, they would be tied with Bama and Clemson for CFP NCs, so no, they don't have a long way to go. The fact that OSU was every bit as good as Clemson this year, and was better than Bama, would just support that even more. I'm not saying OSU is directly on there level, but I'd say it's:

1a/1b: Clemson and Bama
2: OSU

3: Everyone else

When you have losses to teams like Iowa and Purdue by 30 in recent years and missed the CFP altogether a few times and the other time before that you lost 31-0. One year with a close game doesn’t mean you are at Bama/Clemson level.

You have established yourself as the best of the 2nd tier group of elite teams. But Bama and Clemson have been 1a and 1b for a long time and a close loss isn’t moving you to their level.

I will say — If OSU continues to put out teams like they did this year. I think this Buckeye team was the best they have had. The B1G is in trouble and OSU could move into Bama and Clemson territory.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have losses to teams like Iowa and Purdue by 30 in recent years and missed the CFP altogether a few times and the other time before that you lost 31-0. One year with a close game doesn’t mean you are at Bama/Clemson level.

You have established yourself as the best of the 2nd tier group of elite teams. But Bama and Clemson have been 1a and 1b for a long time and a close loss isn’t moving you to their level.

I will say — If OSU continues to put out teams like they did this year. I think this Buckeye team was the best they have had. The B1G is in trouble and OSU could move into Bama and Clemson territory.
Seems like we're more or less in agreement. I'd say OSU is closer to Clemson and Bama than they are to anyone else in the lower tiers, though.

Oklahoma can win a weak Big 12 but is 0-4 in the CFP, with three of those losses being blowouts.
UGA has been way too inconsistent, and Oregon had some major valleys recently.

Otherwise, nobody else is even remotely close.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like we're more or less in agreement. I'd say OSU is closer to Clemson and Bama than they are to anyone else in the lower tiers, though.

Oklahoma can win a weak Big 12 but is 0-4 in the CFP, with three of those losses being blowouts.
UGA has been way too inconsistent, and Oregon had some major valleys recently.

Otherwise, nobody else is even remotely close.

I would say LSU has gotten pretty close to Ohio State too. They have to play Bama every year, and rarely lose to a bad team (I think they lost to Troy a few years ago). If they win it all this year, they would easily catch up to Ohio State, although one year shouldn't trump the past 5 years, and Ohio State has played Clemson a few times in the playoffs the past 5 years, so it is debatable. After LSU and OSU, I would agree that you are probably on the third tier teams. Georgia, Oklahoma, and maybe Notre Dame, are the top teams in that third tier IMO.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like one person bragging about being taller. One is 6' 1" tall, the other is 6' 4"...all while Shaq is standing next to them.

Who has it better than us...Clemson and Bama do. It's not even close right now.

That video is legendary...although I'm not sure if Harbaugh is going ever going back it up. I'm just glad that Ohio State seems to still measure their value by how it compares to Michigan. It makes us Michigan fans feel better for sure. I think that may play a part in keeping them from rising to Bama and Clemson's level. They had an amazing team this year, and still couldn't get past them.

Your boi Harbaugh bragging about who has it better than them but yet can't even get to the B1G CG nor CFP.

And yes, Ohio State has it better than you.

0 - 5!

And why wouldn't we want to compare ourselves against the team that has to always brag about 'their record'.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now that Ohio State lost a close game to Clemson they are equal or near equal? I guess North Carolina needs to be in the discussion now. I think a better comparison would be to look at multiple seasons. Just my two cents.

This is rather funny.

Let's take it a step further. All those wins before 1970 should be vacated as they are no good anymore.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How far back should we go to consider "OSU has won natinoally"?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your boi Harbaugh bragging about who has it better than them but yet can't even get to the B1G CG nor CFP.

And yes, Ohio State has it better than you.

0 - 5!

And why wouldn't we want to compare ourselves against the team that has to always brag about 'their record'.

Well, in fairness, this video was created at least 4 years ago IIRC. So he wasn't 0-5 when it was filmed.

Last edited:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is rather funny.

Let's take it a step further. All those wins before 1970 should be vacated as they are no good anymore.

I'm just comparing them to the current top teams (Bama and Clemson). I guess we could go back 50 years, but dynasties seem to change every 5-10 years in college football. Right now, it's Bama and Clemson and no one else is really close. I was simply stating in my response that you quoted, that one close loss doesn't jump them up into the same category as Clemson and Bama. Just my opinion. Things change quickly in college football and Ohio State has the talent to jump up there.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How far back should we go to consider "OSU has won natinoally"?

To be considered on the same level as Bama and Clemson. It is about consistency. OSU won it in 2015, but missed the CFP in 2016, 2018, 2019 and in 2017 they made the CFP and lost 31-0. This year’s team was the best OSU team they’ve had, IMO, and they came up short against Clemson.

I would put OSU on the top of the 2nd tier of elite programs, but right now — Clemson and Bama are in a tier of their own.

Clemson and Bama are in the top tier because of what they’ve done over time. OSU has the NC in 2015, but zero CFP wins since and 3 years where they didn’t make it. So impossible to put them even near the level of those two teams.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be considered on the same level as Bama and Clemson. It is about consistency. OSU won it in 2015, but missed the CFP in 2016, 2018, 2019 and in 2017 they made the CFP and lost 31-0. This year’s team was the best OSU team they’ve had, IMO, and they came up short against Clemson.

I would put OSU on the top of the 2nd tier of elite programs, but right now — Clemson and Bama are in a tier of their own.

Clemson and Bama are in the top tier because of what they’ve done over time. OSU has the NC in 2015, but zero CFP wins since and 3 years where they didn’t make it. So impossible to put them even near the level of those two teams.
So,Ohio State has been to 3 of 6 playoffs. Bama and Clemson have been to 5. Ohio State has lost 8 games in 6 years, Alabama has lost 8, and Clemson has lost 7, but Ohio State isn’t even close to Clemson or Alabama?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So,Ohio State has been to 3 of 6 playoffs. Bama and Clemson have been to 5. Ohio State has lost 8 games in 6 years, Alabama has lost 8, and Clemson has lost 7, but Ohio State isn’t even close to Clemson or Alabama?

IMO — they are the best of the teams in the tier below Alabama and Clemson.

Bama had played in 4 straight national championship games before this year.

Clemson has played in the national championship game in 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020.

Ohio State has played for the national championship once in 2015.

If just getting to the CFP means you are at Clemson and Bama’s level. Oklahoma would be there. They have been 4 or 5 times I think.

It isn’t meant as disrespect to OSU — It is just Bama and Clemson have been that dominate!!