• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tim Tebow has no one to blame but himself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spot on...

Celani: Tim Tebow Has Nobody To Blame But Himself For NFL Exile CBS Boston

Celani: Tim Tebow Has Nobody To Blame But Himself For NFL Exile
By Andrew Celani, CBS BostonMarch 20, 2015 8:44 AM

461463438.jpg

ESPN analyst Tim Tebow looks on during the College Football Playoff National Championship Game at AT&T Stadium on January 12, 2015. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)

Tim Tebow worked out on Monday for the Philadelphia Eagles — a perfect situation for him, I thought, for a number of reasons:

1. Head coach Chip Kelly is an offensive wizard

2. Sam Bradford is a walking splint

3. Mark Sanchez is Mark Sanchez

For those reasons, I thought Tebow had a legitimate shot to catch on in Philly and possibly be a backupfor the 2015 season, and in the event Bradford gets hurt or Sanchez reverts back to his old ways, Tebow would be there to fill in under the tutelage of Kelly.

And as we know now, I was wrong.

Tebow came and went in Philly faster than than it takes to make a cheese steak, and like the previous two years, he is without a full-time job in the NFL.

Why is that?

Roster sizes inflate to 90 players during the offseason and preseason. Simple math would indicate that 32 teams x 90 players = 2,880 players hopeful to make a roster. Two thousand eight hundred and eighty players. That’s a lot of people.

I don’t know about you, but for my money there are not 2,880 football players on planet earth better than Tim Tebow.

Notice I didn’t say “quarterback.” Football players.

Tim Tebow was a high school All-American, a college All-American, a two-time BCS National Champion, a Heisman trophy winner, and was even voted by his peers as one of the NFL’s Top 100 Players of 2012.

That type of résumé is largely unmatched, both in present day and throughout league history.

So why the NFL exile? If you think there are 2,880 football players on this planet better than Tim Tebow, then you’re as brainless as a lobotomy.

I used to feel bad for Tim Tebow, with the operative phrase being used to. I felt like he was being treated unfairly by the league and its spineless executives looking to avoid the TebowMania that comes with the player and his stardom.

But those days are gone now. Why?

Because Tim Tebow could be in the NFL if he really wanted to. . . as something other than a quarterback.

Tim, it’s clear no owners, no coaches and no scouts envision you as a professional signal caller — so why not switch positions, like so many others before you have?

Former college quarterbacks Hines Ward, Antwaan Randle El, Josh Cribbs, Brad Smith, Denard Robinson, Julian Edelman and countless others — while, admittedly, not nearly as accomplished as you — buried their egos, switched positions and had success in the NFL.

At 6-foot-3, 235 pounds, Tebow certainly has the size to play as a “move” tight end in the NFL, but maybe he doesn’t have the hands. But we’ve all seen his running ability, and with the prevalence of the H-back in today’s game, he would — without question — have a guaranteed roster spot on one of the 32 teams at that position.

Just think of the play calling opportunities and matchup problems your offense would create with a solid passing quarterback and Tim Tebow sharing the same backfield. Again, the main reason I thought Chip Kelly and the Eagles were a match made in heaven.

Tim Tebow is stubborn, like all the great ones are. It’s part of what makes them tick. But his unwillingness, or outright refusal to give another position a try is the sole reason for his NFL unemployment.

Don’t have sympathy for Tim Tebow, because the NFL exile is solely on his shoulders.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a great point...the only caveat is that running backs generally get the shit beat out of them, and maybe Tebow isn't willing to take that punishment.
My dad used to go on and on about how Bobby Douglass of the Bears should have been a running back...the guy rushed for almost 1000 yards in a 14 game season as a QB. Bobby had a killer arm, but my dad said he just didn't have the smarts or touch for the position...would fire the ball full speed at a receiver 10 yards away. Dad claimed the ball would often rocket off the poor receiver's helmet and shoot into the crowd as the announcers berated him for having poor hands.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is this:

Tebow took the same team Kyle Orton had and won the AFC West (8-8) and won a playoff game. Orton started for Buffalo last year. Now I know Tebow isn't that good, but is he better than Orton? As ugly as Denver won that year Tebow was QB, he still got it done and had a few 4th Q comebacks.

So the real question is:

Is he not in the NFL because he's too much of a media circus for a back-up QB?

The NFL has a few teams with lousy QB's, hell the Rams started Shaun Hill for much of the last 2 years because Samantha was hurt.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a great point...the only caveat is that running backs generally get the shit beat out of them, and maybe Tebow isn't willing to take that punishment.
My dad used to go on and on about how Bobby Douglass of the Bears should have been a running back...the guy rushed for almost 1000 yards in a 14 game season as a QB. Bobby had a killer arm, but my dad said he just didn't have the smarts or touch for the position...would fire the ball full speed at a receiver 10 yards away. Dad claimed the ball would often rocket off the poor receiver's helmet and shoot into the crowd as the announcers berated him for having poor hands.
guys adapt to find a way into the league. hines ward...hell, julian edelman...perfect example.

college QB, too small for the NFL..not a good enough arm. did he demand to be a QB?

no, he became the best slot receiver in the NFL.

same with hines ward....ad the other end of the spectrum, another ward...charlie...he wasnt going to be a QB (nor a top 10 pick as he demanded) so he changed sports.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guys adapt to find a way into the league. hines ward...hell, julian edelman...perfect example.

college QB, too small for the NFL..not a good enough arm. did he demand to be a QB?

no, he became the best slot receiver in the NFL.

same with hines ward....ad the other end of the spectrum, another ward...charlie...he wasnt going to be a QB (nor a top 10 pick as he demanded) so he changed sports.

hell, pats FB james develin...a LBer in college. now, hes a tough as nails FB.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Robinson was a QB at Penn State and had a pretty good run as a FB for the Niners and Hawks.

And I said this in the thread the other day. Tebow could make a nice chunk of change as a FB/RB/Emergency QB. I'd love him on the Hawks in that capacity. He'd give defenses fits on the goalline.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Robinson was a QB at Penn State and had a pretty good run as a FB for the Niners and Hawks.

And I said this in the thread the other day. Tebow could make a nice chunk of change as a FB/RB/Emergency QB. I'd love him on the Hawks in that capacity. He'd give defenses fits on the goalline.
yup, robinsons another.

he accepted he wasnt a pro QB and did what he had to do.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think the money is the issue. Tebow is a pretty bright kid and from what I understand is making some serious cake doing speaking engagements and such. He's a super competitive guy and he wants to show the wold that he can play QB in the NFL. He pretty much already did so it seems a bit odd that everyone wants him to switch to TE or FB while stiffs like Sanchez, Geno Smith, Shaun Hill and others are listed as QBs on NFL rosters.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If teams had bigger rosters, he would be a good goaline wildcat QB for a team with a subpar QB. But there is never a time when snapping the ball to Tim Tebow is better than snapping it to Russell Wilson.

And he isn't a RB. He is a running QB. A huge difference. No one is going to sign anyone as slow and who runs as straight up as Tebow to play RB. He had success because he was running from the QB position. You hand him the ball out of an I formation as a RB and he is by far the worst RB in the league and gets cut in half before he totals 50 carries.

But the problem with Tebow as a wildcat/situational 3rd QB is that no one wants a 3rd QB on their roster who has zero upside in terms of being able to throw the football. That is a developmental spot reserved for guys you are trying to develop into cheap backup options (backup QB's are expensive and hard to find).

He might find a training camp to play in if he allowed himself to be used at positions other than QB....but I find it unlikely that he would survive cut downs. He almost assuredly can't block so FB and TE are out of the picture (that isn't a skill that is just there if you haven't done it before). He's not a good enough of a runner to be a RB. So he just becomes a gimmick player and it is hard to keep a gimmick on the roster over a guy that might legitimately play a position for you.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If teams had bigger rosters, he would be a good goaline wildcat QB for a team with a subpar QB. But there is never a time when snapping the ball to Tim Tebow is better than snapping it to Russell Wilson.

And he isn't a RB. He is a running QB. A huge difference. No one is going to sign anyone as slow and who runs as straight up as Tebow to play RB. He had success because he was running from the QB position. You hand him the ball out of an I formation as a RB and he is by far the worst RB in the league and gets cut in half before he totals 50 carries.

But the problem with Tebow as a wildcat/situational 3rd QB is that no one wants a 3rd QB on their roster who has zero upside in terms of being able to throw the football. That is a developmental spot reserved for guys you are trying to develop into cheap backup options (backup QB's are expensive and hard to find).

He might find a training camp to play in if he allowed himself to be used at positions other than QB....but I find it unlikely that he would survive cut downs. He almost assuredly can't block so FB and TE are out of the picture (that isn't a skill that is just there if you haven't done it before). He's not a good enough of a runner to be a RB. So he just becomes a gimmick player and it is hard to keep a gimmick on the roster over a guy that might legitimately play a position for you.

I have to disagree, Duck. Blocking can be taught. Catching can be taught. College QBs have been done it repeatedly, as we've discussed upthread. But it takes a willingness to learn that Tebow has yet to show. Most teams carry four or five running backs. Assuming he develops a desire to learn (and a willingness to play ST), his versatility for most teams is going to keep him in the roster over that third RB/second FB.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a coach, I wouldn't want a lefty QB. You have to change your entire offense. If you have a righty as a starter, and a lefty as a backup, then when he comes in all other ten guys and the playcaller are forced to change significantly.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a coach, I wouldn't want a lefty QB. You have to change your entire offense. If you have a righty as a starter, and a lefty as a backup, then when he comes in all other ten guys and the playcaller are forced to change significantly.
The defense has to change too. The QB gets to look at the play and see who did not make the adjustment.....

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People who have played RB, HB, TE and all of the other positions that everyone says Tebow should just switch to beg to differ about Tebow switching. Everyone acts like it's just so simple to switch positions. At the end of the day Tebow is not particularly fast, we have no idea if he can catch or block. Where Tebow needs to be is right where he is, bumping his gums on TV and no where near a fooball field. Tebow mania won't stop because he switches positions so the teams will still have the headache and probably far less chance at actually production for it.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was right. The Tebow haters far outnumber the Tebow fans, and it is not close.

We all know why too.

I do find it interesting how Tebow is such a pathetic QB, how in the world was he perhaps the most recruited HS player (QB) in the history of recruiting, how he managed to break a UF record for completion percentage over 20 yards, how he had such a better college career than greats like Brady and Manning, and how he still has more accomplishments as a pro than Bradford.

Does make you wonder.

In the meantime.....God Bless.

You can deny he was a play maker. He was a play maker.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I was right. The Tebow haters far outnumber the Tebow fans, and it is not close.

We all know why too.

I do find it interesting how Tebow is such a pathetic QB, how in the world was he perhaps the most recruited HS player (QB) in the history of recruiting, how he managed to break a UF record for completion percentage over 20 yards, how he had such a better college career than greats like Brady and Manning, and how he still has more accomplishments as a pro than Bradford.

Does make you wonder.

It seemed like he had a lot of pressure put on him too. The Broncos were basically running it 1st and 2nd down every set of downs and Tebow had to make a tough throw or wait for the next possession.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed like he had a lot of pressure put on him too. The Broncos were basically running it 1st and 2nd down every set of downs and Tebow had to make a tough throw or wait for the next possession.

He struggled surely. I also know that the fact that they kept winning like that was ELway's worst nightmare. Hence, the reason they were so desperate to sign Manning.

Having said that, I always thought and I maintain he did not have such a problem with his throwing motion where he needed to change EVERYTHING.

He tried to change it and he became too mechanical. He would think too much. In those games where he made things happen, Broncos would go to a hurry up offense. He would STOP thinking so much and he became the play maker he is.

He could run the spread read option and if he did not obsess over his throwing motion and listen to the long list of prognosticators (Remember the same types that said Jamarcus Russell would be great), he could have been great.

We will never know, and there will always be a giant freaking circus where ever he goes. The haters, like I said, far outnumber the fans. The funny thing is how they think it is the opposite.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We all know why too.

Does make you wonder.

You know who else had amazing college careers? David Klingler. Ron Dayne. Colt Brennan. Colt McCoy.

College stats mean very, very little at the next level. How they were rated as HS recruits matters even less.

Broncosballer32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who else had amazing college careers? David Klingler. Ron Dayne. Colt Brennan. Colt McCoy.

College stats mean very, very little at the next level. How they were rated as HS recruits matters even less.

Well, it does mean a little something. Especially when people contend how badly he sucked.

Again, hate to say it, but in his brief career, he actually accomplished more than those you mentioned.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just not good enough at this level. No need to blame someone for it.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question should be: Are there 32 better backup QB(s) in the NFL?

The answer is: A definite no.

Why is it that Tebow doesn't have a backup QB job if were lucky, maybe there are 10 better backup QB(s) around the NFL? Because NFL teams don't like dealing with drama. He doesn't need to switch positions, he just needs the media to chill the fuck out & stop trying to make money off of him.

Tebow > Gabbart, Weeden, Clausen, who ever the fuck is the backup in Cleveland, & more than half the NFL backups.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.