• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So Urban Meyer didn't lie.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it is their (OSU’s) responsibility to investigate whether or not their employee was abusing his wife. They ultimately have to make the decision whether or not to continue employing Smith, so they should gather facts to make that decision. To me, this is a pretty clear indication that something is wrong with the situation. One of two things happened:

a. OSU investigated allegations in 2015
b. OSU did not investigate allegations in 2015

Obviously (b) would be concerning, so let’s assume they did investigate. Post-investigation, they determined that Smith could continue as coach. There are two possibilities for how this could have happened:

a. Smith is clean and the accusations were unfounded
b. The accusations had merit but OSU elected to keep him employed anyways

The way I see it, in order for (a) to happen, there was evidence that Smith was not at fault. It should be relatively easy for OSU to make this information/evidence public and make this into a non-story. The fact that they have not done so yet (key word there) is what makes me think OSU could have misstepped somewhere along the way and Meyer getting in trouble is merited.
There doesn't have to be evidence he was not at fault, there just has to be no real evidence that he was. There were 0 charges brought by her despite there being numerous reports. None at all, whatsoever. Again, it's law in Ohio that a man must be arrested and detained for 24 hours if there is even a shred of evidence that he is abusive and they were called by the abuser to help. Yet, not a single arrest despite plenty of calls.

So ask yourself; given that information, what - objectively - was Urban Meyer supposed to do? What did he do to deserve being fired?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk to his wife? She accused the Florida University of putting pressure on her. Why would OSU talk to her?

Are you serious right now? She didn’t accuse UF of anything, it was two of Urban Meyer’s closest friends who she said convinced her not to follow thru with the charges in 2009 and she named who it was.

And OSU should talk to her because she is the victim and to get her side of the story. What is the point of reporting it to the school if the only side you get is from the accused?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they have not done so yet (key word there) is what makes me think OSU could have misstepped somewhere along the way and Meyer getting in trouble is merited.

That's possible. It's also possible, given the sensitive nature of the situation and the current media coverage/public perception, they're waiting until the independent committee completes their investigation before making any statements. That would be a prudent decision and is a reasonable possibility.

I guess we'll have to wait a couple of weeks.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There doesn't have to be evidence he was not at fault, there just has to be no real evidence that he was. There were 0 charges brought by her despite there being numerous reports. None at all, whatsoever. Again, it's law in Ohio that a man must be arrested and detained for 24 hours if there is even a shred of evidence that he is abusive and they were called by the abuser to help. Yet, not a single arrest despite plenty of calls.

So ask yourself; given that information, what - objectively - was Urban Meyer supposed to do? What did he do to deserve being fired?
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply evidence proving his innocence, I just meant evidence that they had looked into it. Like “we talked to the Columbus PD and they told us X which made us comfortable with retaining Smith.”

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And grabbed her pussy too. You keep forgetting that part.
Sure, he was a total jerk. I wouldn't have been upset if he was never allowed back on the team. I also think the court case played out, he got probation and did whatever he had to do internally to get playing time again. As I said in another thread, every team has some problematic players that end up back on the team. Michigan State had a guy complete his jail sentence and end up playing again. I'm sure I could find countless instances of OSU doing the same. They aren't comparable situations here.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there it is. How can anyone take anything you say seriously? You have an agenda because of your hatred. Domestic abuse of any kind can never be tolerated. If Meyer did what he was supposed to do he should be fine. If he didn't do what he was supposed to do he should be fired. It's that simple.
I acknowledged my bias, which should be obvious. I also would like to think that my bias isn't playing a part here. And that if, say, the coach of TCU did the same thing that my response would be the same.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If he reported it to the school — he won’t be fired. That’s exactly why he backtracked and said he did report it.
The fact the school didn’t contact her at all, seems extremely odd if he had reported it.

If they find he didn’t report it and had knowledge of it — OSU will fire him for the simple fact, it will be an enormous black eye for the school’s reputation and the shit storm that’s follow wouldn’t be worth keeping him as coach.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THEY DID NOT CONTACT ZACH SMITH’S WIFE. Her lawyer just released a statement saying OSU never reached out to her.

And yes, saying the reason OSU didn’t contact the victim is because the victim would just file harassment charges is putting the blame on the victim.

Without knowing the details, I have no idea whether I think tOSU should have contacted Zach Smith's wife.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, didn’t mean to imply evidence proving his innocence, I just meant evidence that they had looked into it. Like “we talked to the Columbus PD and they told us X which made us comfortable with retaining Smith.”
Oh ok, I see what you mean. It will be interesting to see what comes out about who reported what. All I know is that the overwhelming majority of folks close to the university currently think Meyer reported it and Gene Smith didn't then do his job.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without knowing the details, I have no idea whether I think tOSU should have contacted Zach Smith's wife.

Well if Meyer reports possible abuse by his coach how do they clear him to stay if they don't even talk to the wife? They just ask him and he says he hasn't done anything and case closed?
Remember Sandusky (not equating child molestation and physical abuse on a grown women) was never arrested till years later when there were all kinds of reasons why they should have fired him way before they did . This whole he wasn't arrested bar for firing someone from the Ohio State fans is ridiculous. People get fired every day without being arrested being the reason.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I acknowledged my bias, which should be obvious. I also would like to think that my bias isn't playing a part here. And that if, say, the coach of TCU did the same thing that my response would be the same.

So you admit your biased & then you try to say your bias isn't playing a part here when it involves the school you hate?:crazy: Get the fuck outta here w/ that bullshit.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if Meyer reports possible abuse by his coach how do they clear him to stay if they don't even talk to the wife? They just ask him and he says he hasn't done anything and case closed?

If they talked to the authorities, who had conducted an investigation which concluded there was no evidence of Smith abusing his wife, I'd think that would be enough to clear him. Do you disagree?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he reported it to the school — he won’t be fired. That’s exactly why he backtracked and said he did report it.
The fact the school didn’t contact her at all, seems extremely odd if he had reported it.

If they find he didn’t report it and had knowledge of it — OSU will fire him for the simple fact, it will be an enormous black eye for the school’s reputation and the shit storm that’s follow wouldn’t be worth keeping him as coach.
First off, he actually didn't backtrack. The thing that people continue to gloss over is that Brett McMurphy reported that Smith was “arrested Oct. 26, 2015 by the Powell (Ohio) Police Department on felony counts of domestic violence and felonious assault against Courtney Smith”. This is what was brought up. This never happened - he was never arrested and no charges were filed, so Urban saying he knew nothing about it happening wasn't a lie at all.

Secondly, where are you coming from saying it's the school's job to reach out to her on a supposed criminal matter? They work with local law enforcement. Reaching out to her to open mitigation on a matter that was never tried and never resulted in even charges being brought is well outside of their scope. What were they gonna do, ask her what happened and just get her side? Doesn't seem fair. That's what we have cops, lawyers, and judges for.

They may or may not report it if they can definitively prove he didn't report it. Fact is, the SJW force is actually trying to say Urban is trying to cover up abuse or was guilty of not stopping it, which is just absolutely absurd. Unfortunately the irrational SJW crowd has a loud, petulant voice.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they talked to the authorities, who had conducted an investigation which concluded there was no evidence of Smith abusing his wife, I'd think that would be enough to clear him. Do you disagree?

There's a difference between having enough evidence to convict someone and finding reason enough to fire someone. But if you're set on keeping someone you ignore the obvious.
Remember this is the same police who you Ohio State fans say they pulled her over drunk driving three times and never charged her. The same police who conducted his investigation. Now I'm sure if they had found him guilty you guys would be pointing out how they let her go when she was drunk driving and say thats proof they can't be trusted.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, he was a total jerk. I wouldn't have been upset if he was never allowed back on the team. I also think the court case played out, he got probation and did whatever he had to do internally to get playing time again. As I said in another thread, every team has some problematic players that end up back on the team. Michigan State had a guy complete his jail sentence and end up playing again. I'm sure I could find countless instances of OSU doing the same. They aren't comparable situations here.
By all means, I happily will invite you to show me even a single instance under Urban Meyer where a player plead guilty to not only misdemeanor assault and battery against a woman, but an additional felony on top of that. Please, please, go ahead and find even one of these "countless" instances.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a difference between having enough evidence to convict someone and finding reason enough to fire someone. But if your set on keeping someone you ignore the obvious.

We have no idea what the cops found/saw/recorded in 2015. You pretend you do.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By all means, I happily will invite you to show me even a single instance under Urban Meyer where a player plead guilty to not only misdemeanor assault and battery against a woman, but an additional felony on top of that. Please, please, go ahead and find even one of these "countless" instances.

He struggles with the definitions of words.