• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabres trade Vanek to Islanders.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, sucks he didn't pan out here for us and we let him go so easily. He just really found his game with you guys and still hasn't lost it with Colorado, but had to expect that when he plays with names like Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly and Stastny.

As for Moulson though, I agree with what you said above, he gets the dirty goals in front of the net, he doesn't play scared, he attacks the net, there's a reason why he has multiple 30 goal seasons and I think he will still be able to do so for Buffalo.

I think it really depends on chemistry with his linemates. At worst he'll score some goals on the powerplay. Buffalo will probably get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him at the deadline. I don't know if it will matter though. The Sabres don't seem to be handling their young players very well.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it really depends on chemistry with his linemates. At worst he'll score some goals on the powerplay. Buffalo will probably get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him at the deadline. I don't know if it will matter though. The Sabres don't seem to be handling their young players very well.

You think they're going to move Moulson? I mean it could make sense if a team is willing to move a 1st round pick for him. As a Rangers fan, if we turn things around and still need a LW'er at the deadline, I certainly would love to move it for Moulson. He's the type of goal scorer this team lacks with Cally on the shelf for another two weeks.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it really matters. Buffalo will try to dump him somewhere else anyway. I like Moulson. He scores the hard goals. He's willing to go to the net to score. It's just that from what I've seen Tavares made him a lot better than he really is. Before Moulson joined the Isles he was a career AHLer. Now he's going to be looking for at least 5M per year if not more in the offseason. He'll probably get it to.

If the Isles find themselves out of it before the deadline they can trade Vanek just as easily as the Sabres can trade Moulson. I doubt it happens though. Their division seems to be the easier one in the East.

That will depend on his performance in Buffalo. It is a contract year, so he'll be extra motivated, and if he ends up at approximately a point per game, $5M seems to be about the going rate for that type of production.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ugh...what an understatement that is.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think they're going to move Moulson? I mean it could make sense if a team is willing to move a 1st round pick for him. As a Rangers fan, if we turn things around and still need a LW'er at the deadline, I certainly would love to move it for Moulson. He's the type of goal scorer this team lacks with Cally on the shelf for another two weeks.

I think they will if they can get a good return.

The Sabres are going nowhere for a couple more years and Moulson I'm sure is smart enough to know that, so why would he want to sign here? Another 1st or 2nd for him would be nice.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That will depend on his performance in Buffalo. It is a contract year, so he'll be extra motivated, and if he ends up at approximately a point per game, $5M seems to be about the going rate for that type of production.

Forget his cap hit, Moulson is taking home 3.9M this season. He expects to get at least 5M this offseason. He got off to a poor start & Cappy let him know about it. To Matt's credit he's played very well since Cappy's comments. Moulson will score the ugly goals. He's not flashy. He's not a good skater. He's not good defensively, but he can do the one thing every team in the league needs. He can score.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Isles get a guy that will walk in June and give up a guy who will walk in June and a first and a second. Oh and the Isle needed help on D and in goal and got a forward. Am I reading that right?

The Isles have some of the best defense prospects in all of hockey. Griffen Reinhart, Ryan Pulock, Ville, Pokka, Adam Pelech, Andrey Pedan & Scott Mayfield just to name a few. The Isles defense will be different than it is right now as early as next season.

Long term the goaltending will probably come from free agency this offseason. Brian Elliott is a name Arthur Staple of Newsday has mentioned.

As for this year it's playoffs or bust. We'll see what happens.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget his cap hit, Moulson is taking home 3.9M this season. He expects to get at least 5M this offseason. He got off to a poor start & Cappy let him know about it. To Matt's credit he's played very well since Cappy's comments. Moulson will score the ugly goals. He's not flashy. He's not a good skater. He's not good defensively, but he can do the one thing every team in the league needs. He can score.

That's my point is that $5M a season is pretty much the going rate on new contracts for his level of production.

We could have a total separate conversation about salaries being too high, but based on comparable players, $5M at this point seems right.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point is that $5M a season is pretty much the going rate on new contracts for his level of production.

We could have a total separate conversation about salaries being too high, but based on comparable players, $5M at this point seems right.

If Moulson has another 30 goal season he's worth 5M per year. He's proven he can do it riding shotgun with Tavares. If he can do it in Buffalo he's going to get a nice payday somewhere.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Serious question. Do Sabres fans trust Darcy & the Sabres scouts on draft day?

We don't trust Darcy for anything at this point.

I guess if I'm going to be fair, I'll say that what they do on draft day is usually OK, it's what comes after where they either force the newly drafted guys into the lineup too early (Grigorenko) or they completely mismanage the players and their junior eligibility (oddly enough, Grigorenko also).

What they do 99% of the time though is consider a single player in total isolation. They don't consider how that player fits into their current plans or specific positional needs. They just see the guy and draft him.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Moulson has another 30 goal season he's worth 5M per year. He's proven he can do it riding shotgun with Tavares. If he can do it in Buffalo he's going to get a nice payday somewhere.

It certainly won't be in Buffalo though.

No free agent in their right mind would sign in Buffalo right now.

Maybe he'll have to make sure and get at least a limited NTC in his next contract too so he can't end up on such a dysfunctional team.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly won't be in Buffalo though.

No free agent in their right mind would sign in Buffalo right now.

Maybe he'll have to make sure and get at least a limited NTC in his next contract too so he can't end up on such a dysfunctional team.

I'm sure Moulson expects to be dealt out of Buffalo at some point this season.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess if I'm going to be fair, I'll say that what they do on draft day is usually OK, it's what comes after where they either force the newly drafted guys into the lineup too early (Grigorenko) or they completely mismanage the players and their junior eligibility (oddly enough, Grigorenko also).

What they do 99% of the time though is consider a single player in total isolation. They don't consider how that player fits into their current plans or specific positional needs. They just see the guy and draft him.

I think Darcy holds on to prospects to long. He & the scouts need to make a decision on the player within a 2 to 3 year window. That should be enough development time to decide wheter or not the guy has an NHL future. Of course when your GM is rushing the prospects to the NHL it really doesn't matter. It's sink or swim with them. Each player is going to react differently to it. Some will flourish. Some will never be the same & become busts. It's really not fair to the kid.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This, What we need is someone in charge that can draft a group with CHEMISTRY. We need a HOCKEY MAN that knows what to do with young players that can put a team together that has a good mix of vet's and young players. We have a boat load of good young talent that needs leadership not only from veteran players but coaching as well. RR is not that guy nor is Darcy. If they make the right moves the future is good if not it's going to suck. Darcy and RR are not the guy's to get it done. Pegula needs to a solid man in here, turn it over to him and let him run the show.

Good organizations start from the top down.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, What we need is someone in charge that can draft a group with CHEMISTRY. We need a HOCKEY MAN that knows what to do with young players that can put a team together that has a good mix of vet's and young players. We have a boat load of good young talent that needs leadership not only from veteran players but coaching as well. RR is not that guy nor is Darcy. If they make the right moves the future is good if not it's going to suck. Darcy and RR are not thoe guy's to get it done. Pegula needs to a solid man in here, turn it over to him and let him run the show.

The problem is if Pegula was going to fire Darcy I doubt he would have allowed him to trade Vanek.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is if Pegula was going to fire Darcy I doubt he would have allowed him to trade Vanek.

Not necessary, In fact it may the opposite. If rumors that they wanted to make TV the highest paid player in the NHL that may make Pegula think.....shit we had a player leave that we just offered a big time deal to? It may open his eye's and actually help with his choice to get rid of Darcy. Ya never know.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not necessary, In fact it may the opposite. If rumors that they wanted to make TV the highest paid player in the NHL that may make Pegula think.....shit we had a player leave that we just offered a big time deal to? It may open his eye's and actually help with his choice to get rid of Darcy. Ya never know.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Pegula isn't blind or an idiot. He knows where the Sabres are in the standings. It was said before the start of the season that Vanek would wait & see how the team looked before deciding on resigning or not. He saw first hand how far away the Sabres are. I honestly don't expect the Isles to resign him. Minnesota is his first choice. However, he seems very happy to be an Islander. He's going to have the opportunity to play with an elite center. Fellow U of Minnesota Alum Kyle Okposo is on the top line as well. Fellow Austrian Michael Grabner can show him the sites. The Isles will make a strong push. Garth has been looking for an elite winger for Tavares for quite some time. They didn't give up three assets to let him walk without making every effort to keep him. Time will tell.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I don't buy it. Pegula isn't blind or an idiot. He knows where the Sabres are in the standings. It was said before the start of the season that Vanek would wait & see how the team looked before deciding on resigning or not. He saw first hand how far away the Sabres are. I honestly don't expect the Isles to resign him. Minnesota is his first choice. However, he seems very happy to be an Islander. He's going to have the opportunity to play with an elite center. Fellow U of Minnesota Alum Kyle Okposo is on the top line as well. Fellow Austrian Michael Grabner can show him the sites. The Isles will make a strong push. Garth has been looking for an elite winger for Tavares for quite some time. They didn't give up three assets to let him walk without making every effort to keep him. Time will tell.

That's my point...."Time will tell" But I have a feeling I'm on to something here. With the pressure Pegula is facing from the fan base and media I still think this is an eye opener. JMO. But what do I know.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my point...."Time will tell" But I have a feeling I'm on to something here. With the pressure Pegula is facing from the fan base and media I still think this is an eye opener. JMO. But what do I know.

If Pegula were to fire Darcy right now who would replace him? I don't think there's anyone really available right now is there?

By the way word is Moulson has asked the Sabres for a 6 year deal if they want to keep him.