• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: G22 14-4-3 Kings @ BJs 12/5/23

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Game time is 4pm today, going to grab the kids at 330pm from school and catch the game. Also Taco Tuesday so that's what we're having for dinner tonight.

Should be a good game, the Kings are aiming to tie the NHL record for mist road wins to start a season at 10 (the Sabres hold the record at 10-0-0 set in 2006-07). I don't think that's the first thing on their mind but I'm sure they'd like to tie it.

It's a homecoming for Gavrikov, I believe this is his first visit back to Columbus since the trade. PLD also started his career here, $100 says he gets booed every time he touches the puck.

Kings need to just play a solid 60 minute road game, the BJs have beat some good teams recently at home and I believe have won 4 of their last 7 at home. Boone Jenner has easily been their MVP to start the season, he has 13 goals - more than anyone on the Kings although LA has a ton of 4+ goal scorers so the scoring us being spread out. But Jenner is their captain as well and drives the ship, he should be focused on. Gaudreau and Laine haven't been very good this season shockingly, which usually means they will have breakout games against LA as we have seen so many times in the past. Hopefully the Kings defensive game remains strong and they shut them down. Copley expected to start, Merzlikins for the BJs.

Prediction: Kings 4-2, PLD gets 2, Gavrikov gets 2 assists, Grundstrom and Arty Retardy with 1 each. Englund lays the boomstick on someone.

Let's Go Kings!

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster with a penalty away from the puck and the Jackets convert.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buster with a penalty away from the puck and the Jackets convert.

They always pick up the retaliation, Boqvist "accidentally" bumped Buster a moment earlier when he was on his knees. But that was a BS call, Boqvist pulled a total Luganis and that should have been called too.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watch BJs #24, Mathieu Olivier. I've noticed twice now he's had some after whistle business with Kings, Englund might end up throwing with him.

And nice shot Arty Retardy, no goalie and you miss the shot. I wonder if anyone on Teh Blog still thinks he will score between 20-30 this season...

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I don’t think that the Kings are going to get to the record.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here’s the question. Knowing what we know now, would QB still be the number 2 pick?

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I might have spoken too soon. 3 goals in about 6 minutes.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt watch the game, but i was wanting to see PLD on the score sheet in this game. I like most of his game, but that goes so far....good thing is Kings are scoring and actually have a handful of guys that can score more than once in a game....when do you remember that?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So here’s the question. Knowing what we know now, would QB still be the number 2 pick?

Nope, he was never mine to begin with, Raymond or Sanderson were. He's a good hound, has good speed, but his overall offensive game has a lot to be desired. He averages 1 maybe 2 goals a month and apart from that weird 6 game assist streak not much else.

I'd be OK with 20/30/50 from him considering who he plays with at this stage but he is far from that. Raymond has averaged .67 PPG and Buster is at .425 PPG, which is scary considering this has been his most successful season to date and inflated that .425. Sanderson is turning into a LH franchise defender, I believe the Kings just spent a 1st round pick and almost $12 million dollars on a T4 defender for 2 seasons. I like Gavrikov, but my point is they could have had a cost controlled, elite, LH puck moving two way defender for a long time if they had taken Sanderson.

Stutzle is very good too, but I'd like to see what he can in the POs, ans Lafrenierre has not lived up to 1OA at all. I had my suspicions about him when he was drafted.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt watch the game, but i was wanting to see PLD on the score sheet in this game. I like most of his game, but that goes so far....good thing is Kings are scoring and actually have a handful of guys that can score more than once in a game....when do you remember that?

I was folding towels to start the third and bam, Dunno scores. Then again, and Arty Retardy made up for his open net gaffe earlier with a really great play to tie it up. Easily his best game of the season, he was actually noticeable tonight unlike most other nights, need more of these types of games from him. Used his size and made smart decisions with the puck. I wouldn't quite elevate him back to the second line yet but it was a good showing.

PLD was noticeable too, but this dude needs to start scoring. He does a lot of things well, and I don't know how to describe it but he has an interesting skating style where it doesn't look like he is moving but he's very fast and pulls away but because of that skating style it looks like he isn't trying or something. But he protects the puck well, wins a lot of his board battles and makes creative plays. I said I'd give him until G41 to really assess him and I'll honor that, but I'd definitely like to see his production start ramping up.

Scoring has been spread out for sure, the Kings may have four 20+ goal scorers in Kempe, Kopitar, Fiala and Moore. I don't see 20 for Buster, Dunno or Kaliyev but PLD may come close if he picks it up like my gut is telling me he will. Been a long long time since the Kings had some serious firepower like we're seeing.

Sutter's blood pressure must be through the roof knowing the Kings are putting up almost 4 goals a game.

Copley, well he got the win as usual but I think he looked pretty average all game. Talbot is playing over his head and I think some regression will happen, in which case the prognosticators will be right saying goaltending is the chink in the armor for the Kings if Copley has to carry the team for any extended period of time.

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was folding towels to start the third and bam, Dunno scores. Then again, and Arty Retardy made up for his open net gaffe earlier with a really great play to tie it up. Easily his best game of the season, he was actually noticeable tonight unlike most other nights, need more of these types of games from him. Used his size and made smart decisions with the puck. I wouldn't quite elevate him back to the second line yet but it was a good showing.

PLD was noticeable too, but this dude needs to start scoring. He does a lot of things well, and I don't know how to describe it but he has an interesting skating style where it doesn't look like he is moving but he's very fast and pulls away but because of that skating style it looks like he isn't trying or something. But he protects the puck well, wins a lot of his board battles and makes creative plays. I said I'd give him until G41 to really assess him and I'll honor that, but I'd definitely like to see his production start ramping up.
Its why i like PLD, i too want more production from him....hes being paid to produce, but he usually does things to help win even if not putting up points. To me really as long as the Kings are winning none of the under performing players are a problem imo. That wont last and thats when it becomes a glaring problem.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad reality of sports and expectations. I like what PLD brings, and he does a lot of things that lead to goals and wins, but at $8.5 million a season that isn't enough. He needs to start scoring, he's on pace for 42 points. I think he will end up closer to +/- 60, I'm expecting him to start seeing his work result in scoring.

This is also why I don't think Buster has delivered. He does things that lead to goals and wins, but at 2OA that isn't enough. His expectations are based off draft position, not salary considering he is on his ELC. Which expires BTW on June 30, and he will need a new contract. I've read reports about a bridge deal vs the 8 year deal on him, I would not go 8 years - go 2 taking him to age 23 (24 when the 2025-26 season starts) at no more than $5 million total (maybe $2.2 million in 2023-24 and $2.8 million in 2024-25).

At that point he will have accrued 5 years of professional experience and there's 2 more left before he hits UFA status (it's 7 years or age 27, whichever comes first), if he delivers on that bridge you lock him up long term like PLD at age 25 which means it all worked out. On the flip if he tanks this is all a moot point because I don't believe he will be here if he doesn't deliver on that bridge deal.

So far the Kings have been very patient with him but he hasn't brought a lot of value on his current ELC so I'd be cautious with any new deal for him.