• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sabres trade Vanek to Islanders.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really unusual matty. They could have written the same thing about Vanek. Also I couldn't help but notice the first comment I read on the Toronto Sports er I mean TSN site has him ending up in Toronto because he's a home town kid and it would be a great pick up for depth. everyone wants to play in TO!!!.

lol haha. I think if you were to poll 100 players from ontario I bet it would be a much higher list saying that they would NOT want to play there for the media coverage.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm finally done rocking in a the dark dank corner I was hiding in..I realized this day would come, I was just hoping that it would have been after a cup win...my next scary thought is when is it Miller's turn :L

Honestly minty if they would have made him the highest player in the NHL that would have been a huge mistake. I like Vanek but better than Crosby or OV, plus a half dozen other guy's?........No.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6Txb1Hal.jpg

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
oh

Matt Moulson without Tavares over the last three years: ~450 minutes, 1.06 points per sixty (5 G, 3 A). That's fourth liner territory..

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh

Matt Moulson without Tavares over the last three years: ~450 minutes, 1.06 points per sixty (5 G, 3 A). That's fourth liner territory..

On the plus side, he potted 2 last night in 19:48 of ice time. Could just be a new guy bounce, but here's hoping it holds up.

Unsurprisingly, they still lost :L

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, gonna have to think this round goes to Buffalo. That's quite a return. Vanek should do quite well in NY though, it all comes down to if he stays. Sort of surprised they'd move Moulson seeing as he's JTs right hand man.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TSNBobMcKenzie added this am that the Sabres retained about $1.4M in Vanek's salary, but that doesn't change my opinion on the deal.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moulson scored two goals in his Sabres debut last night, good for him. Tyler Ennis pickedup two assists on his goals, could be exactly the player Ennis needed to get him going.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just drop this here - Good read from Friedman:

We've all heard about the "Fire Darcy" chants, but that's not the only example. The press box setup at First Niagara Center allows for some interaction between the crowd and media/scouts/employees. One scout told a story of two fans demanding to know if he worked for the Sabres, accusing him of lying when he said no.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier can handle the taunts. But a couple of executives from other teams raised some interesting points about Buffalo's young players: it's an awful environment for them to get better.

"Buffalo fans expect an honest effort," Regier said in the first intermission of Monday's 4-3 loss to Dallas. "If you work hard, even in difficult times, they will respect that... What they saw at the beginning of the year was a lot of standing around, too much thinking," which made it look like the team wasn't competing.

Sabres situation goes from bad to worse | Hockey | CBC Sports

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TSNBobMcKenzie added this am that the Sabres retained about $1.4M in Vanek's salary, but that doesn't change my opinion on the deal.

They're nowhere near the cap and Pegula's got VERY deep pockets, so that's nothing to them.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just drop this here - Good read from Friedman:

We've all heard about the "Fire Darcy" chants, but that's not the only example. The press box setup at First Niagara Center allows for some interaction between the crowd and media/scouts/employees. One scout told a story of two fans demanding to know if he worked for the Sabres, accusing him of lying when he said no.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier can handle the taunts. But a couple of executives from other teams raised some interesting points about Buffalo's young players: it's an awful environment for them to get better.

"Buffalo fans expect an honest effort," Regier said in the first intermission of Monday's 4-3 loss to Dallas. "If you work hard, even in difficult times, they will respect that... What they saw at the beginning of the year was a lot of standing around, too much thinking," which made it look like the team wasn't competing.

Sabres situation goes from bad to worse | Hockey | CBC Sports

That was a good read. He left it a bit unspoken, but having a coach who can properly develop the talent and keep them from wilting under the fan pressure is what's needed. They don't have that right now, IMO.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really want to see how JT and Vanek do tonight

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early reports are discussing too that Moulson could become deadline bait too. Triple-30 goal seasons with 40+, 50+, and 60+ points (in that order) with a pace last year that would have been 70+ over a full season. A pretty appealing rental option for a contender at the deadline.

If they could send Moulson (assuming they can't re-sign him) and a 4th for a 2nd, they'd essentially have traded Vanek and a 4th for a 1st and two 2nds, which would be pretty solid.

Moulson will shit the bed without Tavares. He played like crap against Pittsburgh in the playoffs when he was taken off the 1st line.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sit here a bit stunned. I can't believe Garth actually made a trade. There was talk a week or two ago from Newsday's Arthur Staple about Vanek during a chat with fans. He mentioned Vanek about 4 different times. However, it was said he would be a UFA target not a trade acquisition.

If Vanek resigns & lord knows the Isles have the cap space to pay him whatever he wants I have no problem with the deal. Right now the Isles are in a playoff spot anyway. Another wrinkle in the trade is that if the 1st round pick is in the top 10 the Isles have the option of keeping it & giving Buffalo their 1st in 2015 instead.

Tavares has needed a true sniper to play with for a long time. In Vanek he now has that player. It's up Wang to sign him to a long term extension.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moulson will shit the bed without Tavares. He played like crap against Pittsburgh in the playoffs when he was taken off the 1st line.

Everybody said the same about Parenteau, he was a product of Tavares, but he seems to be playing just fine in Colorado. Moulson is a pretty good goal scorer, he will fare just well in Buffalo.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He sure did last night.

Ok, ok, I know it's only 1 game, but he's not Steve Bernier either.

I don't think it really matters. Buffalo will try to dump him somewhere else anyway. I like Moulson. He scores the hard goals. He's willing to go to the net to score. It's just that from what I've seen Tavares made him a lot better than he really is. Before Moulson joined the Isles he was a career AHLer. Now he's going to be looking for at least 5M per year if not more in the offseason. He'll probably get it to.

If the Isles find themselves out of it before the deadline they can trade Vanek just as easily as the Sabres can trade Moulson. I doubt it happens though. Their division seems to be the easier one in the East.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody said the same about Parenteau, he was a product of Tavares, but he seems to be playing just fine in Colorado. Moulson is a pretty good goal scorer, he will fare just well in Buffalo.

I always felt Parenteau would do well elsewhere. I thought the Isles should have kept him. I realize I was in the minority. Parenteau can flat out skate. He's a terrific playmaker. He was the player on that line who carried the puck into the zone for the most part. I'm not surprised one bit P.A. is doing well in Colorado.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always felt Parenteau would do well elsewhere. I thought the Isles should have kept him. I realize I was in the minority. Parenteau can flat out skate. He's a terrific playmaker. He was the player on that line who carried the puck into the zone for the most part. I'm not surprised one bit P.A. is doing well in Colorado.

I agree, sucks he didn't pan out here for us and we let him go so easily. He just really found his game with you guys and still hasn't lost it with Colorado, but had to expect that when he plays with names like Landeskog, Duchene, O'Reilly and Stastny.

As for Moulson though, I agree with what you said above, he gets the dirty goals in front of the net, he doesn't play scared, he attacks the net, there's a reason why he has multiple 30 goal seasons and I think he will still be able to do so for Buffalo.