• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumor: Eagles might trade up for Wentz

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, spotted having dinner with Wentz after a rumored private workout in Fargo.

They are definitely kicking the tires on a trade up, or have one worked out already. Maybe Wings is right about Cox being dealt.... :eek::eek::eek:

LOL. Is this dude even as good a prospect as Bortles? And he's even progressing nicely for the Jags and they still suck. Because their defense sucks. Trade Cox and we'd be lucky to be as good as the Jaguars.

The Broncos won with defense, the Jaguars lose with a promising young QB and some people's "bright" idea to save some (not needed) money is to follow the Jaguars path instead of the Super Bowl champions. Hilariously stupid. And a hilariously naive understanding of the salary cap as well.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe this is all just a smoke screen to keep another team from jumping ahead of us to get the guy we really want. :D :D

That makes much more sense than trading away our best player in his prime.

And two years before he even gets that expensive. The whole notion is just so fucked up.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or...maybe the cost of trading to, say, 5 from 8, isn't as high as we think, and they think they can do it and get Goff or Wentz, whoever Cleveland doesn't take.

I read Jacksonville may like Hargreaves. They could trade down with us and still almost surely get him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or...maybe the cost of trading to, say, 5 from 8, isn't as high as we think, and they think they can do it and get Goff or Wentz, whoever Cleveland doesn't take.

I read Jacksonville may like Hargreaves. They could trade down with us and still almost surely get him.

Sure if they think Wentz is the guy then maybe they trade two firsts for him. Which is a lot, but still a much better deal for us than trading away an elite player in his prime and one we can have under contract for the next two years.

Not sure where you read that about Hargreaves but lets just take a guess (knowing what we know about NFL reporting) that a writer had some fancy idea that a Florida team might like a Florida player. He may have even asked a direct question about it to give himself a quote to write a "report" around.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could certainly be that flimsy, or worse.

What we do know, though, is that Jacksonville, Baltimore and several other teams picking high don't need QBs. So the idea of them being willing to trade down a bit is not far fetched.

Frizzle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, spotted having dinner with Wentz after a rumored private workout in Fargo.

They are definitely kicking the tires on a trade up, or have one worked out already. Maybe Wings is right about Cox being dealt.... :eek::eek::eek:

I forget where I read it but, there was an article stating that COX percentage wise wouldn't be worth the money against the salary cap in what he should be paid vs % of money tied up for his position. Cox is a beat but would tie up so much money for the franchise at a position that's not nearly as critical as some other positions (QB mainly).

NFL Rankings

Notice how none of the Top D have highly paid DEs.

I am not saying we should or shouldn't trade Cox but I wouldn't be shocked if they do trade him.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cox is not a DE anymore. He is the best DT in the league. Bar none. No way would I trade him for anything. Anything. Building a dominant defense is more important right now, than drafting a QB, especially one who is not projected on the same level as Luck.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I don't support trading Cox. Just wondering if it might be possible though.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't get the big deal in the Eagles working out and taking the top QB prospects out to dinner. You better do as much homework as possible when you have freakin Sam Bradford as your starting QB. Evaluate the shit out of these guys, and if you think one of them has franchise potential -- make your best offer without crippling your team. Woopty-fuckin-doo, is it draft time yet?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forget where I read it but, there was an article stating that COX percentage wise wouldn't be worth the money against the salary cap in what he should be paid vs % of money tied up for his position. Cox is a beat but would tie up so much money for the franchise at a position that's not nearly as critical as some other positions (QB mainly).

NFL Rankings

Notice how none of the Top D have highly paid DEs.

I am not saying we should or shouldn't trade Cox but I wouldn't be shocked if they do trade him.

Considering the variety of fronts played in this league how about you show how many top defenses do not have a top front 7 player? That would be more meaningful in discussing Cox's value. Without Cox the defense is rudderless. Offenses wouldn't have to account for anyone when playing us.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't get the big deal in the Eagles working out and taking the top QB prospects out to dinner. You better do as much homework as possible when you have freakin Sam Bradford as your starting QB. Evaluate the shit out of these guys, and if you think one of them has franchise potential -- make your best offer without crippling your team. Woopty-fuckin-doo, is it draft time yet?

Crippling the team is the discussion of much of this thread. Many of these guys are basically saying that losing Jerome Brown didn't hurt the Eagles because he was a defensive tackle. Think about the money saved not paying him!!:crazy:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I don't support trading Cox. Just wondering if it might be possible though.

Any franchise could possibly do something so completely asinine as getting rid of the best player at his position just as he's entering his prime. It being possible isn't much of a discussion point. How stupid it would be is.

Birds4life81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who justifies trading Cox because of money or past stats regarding other players, needs their fucking head examined. Cox is an absolute monster who could be a DPOY. He give this defense a chance to be dominant. He makes every single person on this defense better. Why even draft a DT in the first round if your theory is not paying them a lot of money because of past history... "Gee I hope he turns out pretty good, but not too good cause then we'll have to trade him!". Poor Rams will have to trade Aaron Donald in a couple years!

If you're convinced you can get a franchise QB for Cox, I can understand that debate. If I'm the Titans, I'd be begging the Eagles to give up Fletcher Cox for the #1 pick, straight up. Give me an elite proven interior lineman in his prime, give him a fat check, and ship my #1 overall pick. Not have to worry about drafting the next Matt Kalil in Tunsil.

Screamin Eagle

Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe they are just getting a read on all players that could be available at #8

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who justifies trading Cox because of money or past stats regarding other players, needs their fucking head examined. Cox is an absolute monster who could be a DPOY. He give this defense a chance to be dominant. He makes every single person on this defense better. Why even draft a DT in the first round if your theory is not paying them a lot of money because of past history... "Gee I hope he turns out pretty good, but not too good cause then we'll have to trade him!". Poor Rams will have to trade Aaron Donald in a couple years!

If you're convinced you can get a franchise QB for Cox, I can understand that debate. If I'm the Titans, I'd be begging the Eagles to give up Fletcher Cox for the #1 pick, straight up. Give me an elite proven interior lineman in his prime, give him a fat check, and ship my #1 overall pick. Not have to worry about drafting the next Matt Kalil in Tunsil.

Exactly! Tenn would take Cox in a heartbeat in a straight up trade. NFL coaches like the known not the potential bust at #1 or any other spot.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or maybe they are just getting a read on all players that could be available at #8

Yes they are. And any one of these QB's could be there. That right there would make me scared as hell to take one of them at 8.

WIZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Bradford and Daniel in the fold I see 3 other positions at least I'd take at 8. Goff at 8 would be ok though.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those who think trading Cox is logical, what if he has a JJ Watt type season, 15-20 sacks? Do you think he wouldn't be worth the big contract? In Schwartz's scheme it's possible. This guy in a few games last year (and the year before) literally kept us in ball games single-handed because the opposing teams couldn't block him. I would rather take my chances and pay the man instead of trying to find his replacement who we don't know if he'll ever be as good.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also another element in play here. You have a new staff in charge. You don't want to get the reputation of trading elite players purely because they get (and earned) a big paycheck. That's the kind of move that kills the locker room. Reward th players who performed and were team supporting professionals.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way you would even think of trading Cox would be for an Andrew Luck type prospect coming out. that is not the case this year. Also that team would have to already have a solid QB in place already. Think about it any of these QB's coming out would have a tough time beating out Chase Daniels this year. Your going to give up Cox for that?