• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reds roster

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another dime store diamond in the rough.
Sorta like finding broken seashells on the beach....
They're everywhere.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely need a program to know this roster. Still unsure who the rotation will be after Iglasias, Desclafani, Simon and Finnegan. I saw Stephenson yesterday- is it him ? Although the bullpen did ok (other than Cingrani's typical 5 pitch walk to the first lefty he faces), I don't expect it to go as smoothly going forward. I couldn't help but think when Holt went in as a PR, that might be Hamiltons fate if he can't start getting the bat on the ball.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephenson is pitching the 12:30 pm Thursday game on the list of projected SP. His next start would fall on a off day (12th) and the next would be the 17th. Is he one and done?

The next day the Reds don't have a projected SP is the 10th. Both Desclafani and Moscot are eligible to come of the DL by then. Is either of them ready to pitch the 10th?, or will there be another call up? Amir Garrett, Stephen Johnson, Rookie Davis, and Sal Romano would be the 40 man call up options. Tim Melville remains a option, but has to be added to the 40 man. The Reds seem reluctant to DFA anyone early on. Only Carlos Contreras has been dropped other than the two rule 5 guys.

Homer Bailey is on the 15 DL, which gives the impression the Reds are thinking about bringing him back sooner than most TJ guys. He's eligible to come off the DL the same date as Desclafani, then at least a three week rehab assignment putting his earliest return date around May 1st. That sounds way too early to me, but everything the Reds keep saying makes it seem like they plan on having him back ahead of schedule.

Yorman Rodriguez is conveniently on the DL. Yorman is out of options and has to be on the active roster for the rest of his career until he clears waivers. So being DFA is almost inevitable unless he starts hitting. Keeping him on the bench at the MLB level isn't going to help his growth.

I had the same conversation about Hamilton/ Holt with my son at the game. It's a little redundant to have two PR, defensive first type guys on the 25 man roster, especially when this overall OF hits as poorly as it does.

Billy Hamilton hasn't used any of his option years. He hit .256 at AAA and less every year since. He obviously wasn't ready at the time, but hasn't been sent down for more seasoning. If there's nothing for him to learn at AAA, then is he worth keeping? If he needs and can improve, why are the Reds wasting his team control years floundering at the MLB level?

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Billy...just wish he could hit.

Billy may be the most popular .220 hitting position player in Reds history. He still gets cheers, and is a joy to interview,watch play D, and of course steal when he actually gets on without the base ahead of him occupied. The bottom line is he needs to get on base more, and the opener was rare- he walked...he doesn't walk much, IMO , not because he's a mad hacker or like BP, is good at putting the ball in play on less than perfect pitches, he simply doesn't walk because pitchers throw strikes to him- not wanting to walk him...why would they ? He doesn't hit well, but can turn a walk into the equivalent of a triple in 2 pitches. To be real honest, hitting 9th doesn't help him either- walking to the top of the order typically isn't recommended.

My issue is, if he hasn't learned to get wood on the ball, or put a bunt down on the first try by AAA, what can he learn there in a few weeks now? The REAL reason he's here now, speaks to the relative weakness of Reds OF corps. I do blame the Reds...he came up as a SS that made 30 errors in half a season of A- ball, so they made him into a gold glove outfielder...so.... how do they recognize flawed D and make a change, but somehow are clueless he isn't putting the ball in play enough, and when he does, hits too many shallow fly balls, and can't bunt for a hit, until he gets to MLB, THEN it's noticed ? I don't get that.

The reason, is the same reason the Reds haven't had a single homegrown OF that could hit .260 in back to back 500 AB easons, in 3 decades...the Reds minor league hitting instructors either don't or can't instruct, period. It gets worse...most minor league hitters hit for a lower rate in MLB, because it's harder, but by the time they arrive in MLB, hitters usually improve at least in some area from their early MLB years...many Reds get worse- Stubbs and Bruce come to mind. How much of that is hitters and how much is the dugout staff is debatable, but the Reds as an organization, have forgotten how to hit, with a very few ultra-talented exceptions- like Votto.

This season, to me, is about improvement...progress, which is often painful, and requires new faces, and more failure. Billy needs to bunt once a GAME, not once a week. If they insist on him switch hitting, they need to sit him against some righties that have command of other than a fastball...if they have another CF that can hit better to replace him with ? That's the problem. It isn't Yorman, so far. Peraza ? Everyday AB's in AAA sounds good as the reason he's not on the big club...if he doesn't have a weakness they won't improve and he winds up a MLB utility player anyway.

I know the DL is dictating the roster right now, but I think having Pacheco as a 3rd catcher option makes zero sense if Mesoraco is a catcher only. To be honest, I've seen enough of Suarez glove to think he should be in LF, and Peraza should be playing some 3b... unless DuVall or Schebler can prove they are better.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's surprising Suarez played SS as long as he did. His footwork is poor and he's finds himself out of position to field somewhat routine balls at times. He tends to reach at the ball rather than cradle it in. By contrast Cozart has very fluent footwork to get into the optimal fielding position, Suarez seems to lack the natural instinct to do so. The ball plays him too often.

Billy Hamilton had a low BA on ground balls for the fastest guy in the game in 2015 (.239). That was a big drop from the .304 he accumulated in 2014. With shifts and defensive positioning becoming prevalent, being fast simply isn't enough once there's enough data to form a defensive game plan.

How does the fastest player in the game hit with tilt in his swing when he should be a level plane directional slap hitter?

Hamilton will never have a high OBP. Why would a pitcher want to walk him? They challenge him from pitch one and he's often behind in the count which is detrimental to the best hitters. He's not a bad bunter, he's bunting against a bunt defense and tends to let the defense take him out of what he should be doing.

If he hit .280, he'd still have a below MLB average OBP. If you don't walk much, your OBP isn't going to be much more than your BA.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But on the bright side.....
The Reds are 2-0 with a walk off win Wednesday night. Hasn't been the best baseball weather, but it makes for a nice ride home.

Watching Schebler's first 3 AB's, I wasn't overly confident when he got two strikes, but he got the job done.

The Schebler double OD was more based on the circumstances than clutch. Duvall leads off with a walk allowing Schebler's bounding ground ball to hop over a drawn in first baseman holding the runner.

It's the beauty of the game to me, how each AB can change strategy and outcome of the next AB.

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone else notice That Billy hatcher held Suarez at third instead of letting him be thrown out at the plate. Last year he would have been thrown out. Way to go Billy

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes indeed h-n-r, it is the beauty of the game. the posters on this board have obviously seen a lot of baseball. considering the beauty of the game, i wonder how you guys feel about the 'utley rule?' did you see the rays / blue jays decision a couple of days ago? gibbons could hardly contain himself. a usually very even keeled mgr. had some opinions to share with mlb. the beauty of the game that has nothing to do with the new spring collection.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-0. Maybe they'll be undefeated...and go 0-3 in the playoffs, I suppose.

Hey- gotta love the Phillies, who have plenty of problems too. I dread next week- roadie against Cubs and Cardinals...

The only good thing I gotta say about the Utley rule is- if it's enforced, they need to start calling runners safe at 2b when the SS is 3 feet off the bag when he received the ball on a DP turn...that "given" was in response to the runners ability to take the SS/2b out 3 feet from the bag...now, they can't...so I want to see the strict rule on putouts inforced too.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hatcher looked a little shaky in Arizona, but he made the right call holding Suarez. It was a Captain Obvious hold the runner, Steve Smith didn't know the difference a couple years ago.

The Phillies' fan's were probably thinking with the Reds projected to be a weaker team that they might win a series to start the season. Reality has sunk in quickly in Philadelphia and I'm pretty sure it will in Cincinnati as well.

The Reds might have a good early season run, but with so many limitations on the SP innings I can't see a path where they could get close to the finish line.

We're going to learn a lot about this team in increments throughout the season. I think we'll see improvements with periods of regression. What I'd like to see is the team consistently taking two steps forward with only one step back.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think that sending Stephensen down before they knew Desclafani was still lame was an unnecessary use of a minor league option ? Tough to say about Melville. Dunno if nerves, or just lack of control was the bigger factor. Maybe Mr.Melville was worried about the great white whale being knocked loose into the Ohio River from the Newport Aquarium with homers he might serve up...

It's hard for me to keep up with this revolving door roster. I wasn't aware Straily was even on the roster until he pitched yesterday. Kid was a big K guy in the minors, but has been passed around a lot since. It is nice to see some reclamation projects that aren't 37 years old, for a change.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melville can win an 11-10 game if he's spotted 9 runs in the first inning.
Straily might just gut it out and become the new version of Alfredo Pasta.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm actually kind of ok with Alfredo, in a misguidedly optimistic way. Although I don't think his résumé is the same as Bronson's was in regard to veteran influence. Anyone that can toss 200 MLB innings is a welcome change on this team...even though his run deficit might approach the Federal Debt

John, you ever get up to Wrigley ? Reds fans there are probably rare.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John, you ever get up to Wrigley ? Reds fans there are probably rare.

I went up there for the 2013 season for a game. Reds win.
We got tix for the July 5 game -- damned things cost, with carrying charges, 145 bucks! In the 2nd deck. But more Reds fans there than you might realize. A few hundred around here. Some are just anti-Cubs fans who hate the Cardinals more.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. Been to Chicago on business several times, but have never made it to Wrigley. It's on my bucket list. I'll say this- I've always been impressed at the fine support the Cubs have had in Chicago even when they were bad. Whitesox , not so much. I just can't bring myself to despise Cubs like Cardinals for some reason. Maybe it's because Chicago has better looking women than St. Louis...or maybe it's because historic losers have more humility...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice. Been to Chicago on business several times, but have never made it to Wrigley. It's on my bucket list. I'll say this- I've always been impressed at the fine support the Cubs have had in Chicago even when they were bad. Whitesox , not so much. I just can't bring myself to despise Cubs like Cardinals for some reason. Maybe it's because Chicago has better looking women than St. Louis...or maybe it's because historic losers have more humility...

Do the day game at Wrigley, take the CTA from downtown ... get there a couple hours early and enjoy the atmosphere around the stadium. The ballpark has changed but the neighborhood hasn't. It smells like hot dogs (no cigars or diesel, dammit) ... and the eye candy is outstanding. I have never been to a night game there so that might be a different matter. Too damned cold at night in the city.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1