• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Reds Talk

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FanRag has a column today on non-roster guys to watch in the NL-C.
They included this bit along with the usual on 2B prospects.

Alejandro Chacin is a reliever without any experience above Double-A, but he’s worth watching as well. He’s only 23 years old and knows how to make batters swing and miss. Last season, he tossed 60.2 innings, allowed just 51 hits, struck out 75, and posted an excellent 1.78 ERA. If he has a strong performance in the spring, the Reds’ bullpen could get a boost by adding him to the team.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Presumably Bronson is the "filler" until Homer gets back.
When exactly does Homer get back from anything?

Aaron Harang is out there just for old times sake.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't suppose there is any point to this page.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to imagine Bronson making the team, but his biggest fan would be Bryan Price. So....
Yeah, there's a chance.

If we combined Scott Feldman, Bronson Arroyo, and Homer Bailey's 2017 innings it probably still won't equal 200 innings.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching is a joke, but look at the 40 man roster for position players...sure hope Alcantara is ready for MLB, because I can't count 5 infielders opening day without him. Can't realistically see Herrera starting as a 2b platoon guy on the big club this soon...I'm sure there will be an old utility infielder or two signed by then. BTW, the OF is about 3 deep too...unless Winker or Ervin are answers ??

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching is a joke, but look at the 40 man roster for position players...sure hope Alcantara is ready for MLB, because I can't count 5 infielders opening day without him. Can't realistically see Herrera starting as a 2b platoon guy on the big club this soon...I'm sure there will be an old utility infielder or two signed by then. BTW, the OF is about 3 deep too...unless Winker or Ervin are answers ??

I think the plan is probably for Peraza to play CF once in awhile, or at least that might have BEEN the plan before the Phillips trade. Winker and Jennings are likely to both make the team. There is always a Xavier Paul guy out there who can be gotten for next to free.

Seriously, I think the decision to keep Lorenzen in the back of the bullpen is fairly ignorant. I think I see what Price is trying to do with his relievers, apparently thinking the 'pen will be over-taxed again this year. I can't see why fixing one part of the problem without addressing the other is going fucking help the fucking Reds.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is really great news!

GOODYEAR, Ariz. (AP) Scott Feldman won’t compete in the World Baseball Classic for Israel, choosing instead to get ready to fill a spot in the Cincinnati Reds’ rotation.

Feldman said Tuesday that he has turned down the opportunity to pitch in the WBC. The Reds signed him on Jan. 26 to fill the spot that opened when they traded Dan Straily – their top starter last season – to the Marlins for prospects.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...Can't imagine anyone asking Feldman to pitch for USA...unless the roster is about 240 deep....maybe he could have pitched for Poland or some other similar foreign power.

Hey, I hope the guy is the second coming of Dan Straily...whoever signed him (Straily)gets an A from me for finding at least a one year wonder, AND (maybe) for letting him go (this time for a live body) instead of paying him a 2 year "expension" before having to release him in the first season. Speaking of such, signing Indiana's own Drew Storen is by definition another reclamation project...even though a couple seasons ago he looked better, and at least he isn't 40 years old. He's as "local" as any "buddy picks" since drawaller Ricky Stone, and I do like his chances better than Stoner's.

Back in the days of Dusty, I was frustrated with the revolving door of disappointing 36 year old outfielders and utility infielders that only started at SS, so at least now, they are searching the refuse pile for younger players...except for Bronson Arroyo, I guess. I hate the Arroyo signing because I like Bronson Arroyo, and am absolutely convinced he has near zero chance of SP success (less than a 4.50 ERA, more than 160 IP, etc.). My only optimism rests on the frequency of my being wrong, not with the volume whatever is left BA's talent tank.

On a similar talent assessment misjudgement subject, I see my old CBS antagonist Matt Snyder is dissing the Reds again- offering an assessment of best centerfielders (not fantasy players- real ones) that somehow mentioned Kevin Keirmaier, Joc Pederson and Ender Inciarte, but didn't even sniff Billy Hamilton...I think Mr. Snyder earned his expertise keeping score for IU didn't he ?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feldman was being asked to pitch for the Israeli team.

Snyder and I went round and round and I never really thought him as much a genius as somebody who at least paid attention to what he wrote. He was better than a lot of other bloggers who frequented CBS. Heyman was the worst. Nothing but a guy who gleaned rosters and decided who needed who.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dilson Herrera is playing in WBC for Columbia. Bryan Price had an unfavorable opinion about the relatively new Reds middle IF not being at ST competing for a roster spot. Herrera has already burnt two of his three option years and would be out of options come 2018 if he doesn't make the team out of ST.

The more OF's I see the club sign to minor league contracts with a ST invite the more it makes me think Jesse Winker isn't going to be making the club. The Reds appear to be unhappy with his power output in 2016 and he may be ticketed for Louisville. The arbitration/FA clock seems to always play a role in rookie roster decisions as well.

Signing Desmond Jennings and Ryan Raburn tells me they're looking for a RH hitter that can hit LHP, possibly to platoon with Scott Schebler in RF. Jennings would provide a CF backup option as well.

I also think the Reds would like Arismendy Alcantara to make the club.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We may be double-dipping on this. I will stop posting to the Cactus League thread.

Yeah, I think Winker's odds are shrinking.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming 13 pitchers, it would appear the OD roster would be:
Suarez, Cozart, Peraza, Votto, Alcantara (Herrera?)
Mesoraco, Barnhart (Turner if Meso can't play)
Duvall, Hamilton, Schebler, Jennings, Raburn (Winker?)

I still have to believe the Reds will swing a deal for a UTL infielder if Herrera insists on the WBC instead of Goodyear. Then again, Tony Renda is still cheap meat.

I would be surprised if Cozart is traded before the deadline this summer.
Does Peraza bat 7th in this order?

eburg5000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems to me it would be better to play WBC late in the year instead of spring. That way players play on their own time rather during ST.. It's plenty warm in South America to play then. It might even bring more interest.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgive me if this has been discussed already but what do you think the batting order is going to look like? I was thinking something like this:

Hamilton
Peraza
Votto
Duvall
Meso (Barnhart would move down the order on his days)
Cozart
Suarez
Schebler/Platoon
Pitcher

You could flip Peraza and Cozart but I like Peraza's bat and speed at the 2.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with John's thoughts on the roster leading into ST.

I like Peraza in the top of the order. Doesn't take a lot of pitches, but is a better hitter than Hamilton. Hamilton is more patient at the plate and would afford Peraza the opportunity to run. Votto hitting third allows BH the opportunity to run and Votto the chance to drill more fastballs with both rabbits running.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to pencil Meso very high in the lineup coming off two inactive surgery riddled seasons until we see him play. If he hits like 2014 then he's middle of the order. I do not know if he's still that guy.

I have Cozart 7-8 in the lineup. He says the knee is 100%. Mine is too when I'm sitting on the couch.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The order presumes Hamilton in leadoff. He may go to 9th again with Peraza at the top. I think the catchers will all hit 7th ahead of the pitcher IF Hamilton goes to 9th. Cozart is the wild card. If he stays in Cincy, he hits 2nd. If he goes, then I can't say. We know Votto and Duvall are 3-4. Schebler in the 5 spot is OK but if he sits, I have no clue. Suarev in the 6 spot. All this is wrong if Hamilton goes to the leadoff spot -- where he should be. The No. 2 guy is the key to this order.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The order presumes Hamilton in leadoff. He may go to 9th again with Peraza at the top. I think the catchers will all hit 7th ahead of the pitcher IF Hamilton goes to 9th. Cozart is the wild card. If he stays in Cincy, he hits 2nd. If he goes, then I can't say. We know Votto and Duvall are 3-4. Schebler in the 5 spot is OK but if he sits, I have no clue. Suarev in the 6 spot. All this is wrong if Hamilton goes to the leadoff spot -- where he should be. The No. 2 guy is the key to this order.

I was assuming that Hamilton would retain the leadoff spot since he was there for most of last season and a CBS SPORTS piece said that Price confirmed that he would start the season as the leadoff hitter. That's subject to change obviously since we have 2 months of ST to work out the batting order. John...You say that the 2 guy is key. Who do you like there assuming Hamilton leads off and Cozart is healthy?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's two ways to make the lineup in this thread. There's our preference and then there's Bryan Price's theory. I don't always care for the latter.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was assuming that Hamilton would retain the leadoff spot since he was there for most of last season and a CBS SPORTS piece said that Price confirmed that he would start the season as the leadoff hitter. That's subject to change obviously since we have 2 months of ST to work out the batting order. John...You say that the 2 guy is key. Who do you like there assuming Hamilton leads off and Cozart is healthy?

I'm not sure Schebler isn't the guy for that spot.

Cozart is the most logical. But the Reds will probably trade him, unless they are blowing smoke.

I think the narrative in ST is that the Reds want to be more patient at the plate. W/O Bruce and Phillips, that is possible. This isn't new news. Cincy's offense has struggled because of a lack of a 2 guy.