• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Reds Talk

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be shocked if when Disco approaches an arbitration figure of more than about $3M, he's not traded.

It concerns me some that a team like the Padres couldn't find a job for Desmond Jennings. Don't get me wrong, he's probably the 4th best position player on this team...but he isn't a starter on about 28 other teams.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to single out the Padres....I could have said the Rays, or Twins, or one of the 4 MLB teams without 3 qualified MLB OF's.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense might be fun to watch...

I think Peraza will hit respectably possibly .280, and will play good D, and he could steal a ton of bases, but he won't hit many HR, not even in the GABP smallpark. Votto better get used to hitting with a runner moving, because if Hamilton and Peraza hit in front of him, and get on base at all, that's going to be the scenario (I hope). Peraza and Hamilton will undoubtedly steal more bases than several teams, by themselves, and Jennings might add a few. If DuVall can hit 35 long ones keeping the BA above the Mendoza line, and Suarez could have more HR than Errors, they might score enough runs to stay in the game until the bullpen comes in, or about the 5th inning in most games.

It's that pitching...that is going to be hard to watch.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's that pitching...that is going to be hard to watch.
And they have 4 pitching coaches on the staff that led the team to a 4.9 ERA last year and 258 home runs.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure Schebler isn't the guy for that spot.

Cozart is the most logical. But the Reds will probably trade him, unless they are blowing smoke.

I think the narrative in ST is that the Reds want to be more patient at the plate. W/O Bruce and Phillips, that is possible. This isn't new news. Cincy's offense has struggled because of a lack of a 2 guy.

Interesting...Why Schebler? I LOVE baseball (especially the "game within the game") but admit that I don't know some of the finer details. Obviously, I understand what is needed of the 1,3,and 4 holes but what is typically desired in the #2? Peraza had about 30 less PA's than Schebler and had a better OBP and BA. Schebler had about 3 times as many BB's than Peraza so he did show a little more patience than Peraza. So, is it patience at the plate/OBP that you typically look for? Please educate me...I like to learn haha

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schebler ... I think he's a good hitter in-the-making.
I don't do much with advanced metrics. I do know that he's apparently going to be platooned, so maybe my hunch on him isn't relevant. I know that his first 40 AB with the Reds were a disaster and he was much better after he was recalled.

Peraza seems automatic but do you want to spread out the speed? I still need to see Peraza over 162 ...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to single out the Padres....I could have said the Rays, or Twins, or one of the 4 MLB teams without 3 qualified MLB OF's.
What most of us don't know about big-league/minor league contracts is how the various clubs interact with various agents. I know that sometimes a player who shouldn't be signed ends up with a contract because, hey ... someday they might bring you an offer from a Miggy Cabrera type. If you snub the guy on the cheap deals, he will snub you on the good ones.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price hit Schebler 6th most of the second half. So that may be where Price likes him. Schebler looked like a rookie his first go around.... trying to do too much. Looked more relaxed and disciplined after the recall.

Peraza does have a small sample size, but all his advance billing says he'll hit. He won't walk much, but I like what I've seen.

We really need to see Hamilton play a full productive season. The last two have ended on the DL.

I probably like Suarez more than most on this board. His defense improved the second half and he showed flashes early at the plate. He had a lot of success hitting in the two hole early on. Got home run pull happy and tailed off. I think he can be a solid hitter if he keeps within his approach and stays inside the ball.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably like Suarez more than most on this board. His defense improved the second half and he showed flashes early at the plate. He had a lot of success hitting in the two hole early on. Got home run pull happy and tailed off. I think he can be a solid hitter if he keeps within his approach and stays inside the ball.

I like Suarez because of his effort. He seems willing to improve his game and he may end up with Frazier-like numbers.

I will concede to having been much higher on Drew Stubbs than anyone else and was proven wrong.

I buy into the fingers-crossed mode on Hamilton. He needs to stop diving for balls in the gap.
I tried to find some data on these guys that I can understand and all I can do is compare them to other players, which is still bullshit to me.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Stubbs would fit the mold of why they brought in Desmond Jennings. Stubbs could hit LHP and play good defense with some speed. Curveball and sliders from a RHP was a different story.

Great athlete and seemed like a good guy. Heard he signed a minor league deal recently, don't remember where?

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamilton's style of defense is most definitely detrimental to him staying on the field. Though he is fun to watch when he's on his game.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looked it up....
Stubbs signed with the Twins.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching staff:

Adleman, Finnegan, Disco, Feldman, Reed, Garrett, Jumbo, Wood, Cingrani, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Storen, Stevenson.

Does Bronson make this roster?
I can see some minor holes in this strategy.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitching staff:

Adleman, Finnegan, Disco, Feldman, Reed, Garrett, Jumbo, Wood, Cingrani, Lorenzen, Iglesias, Storen, Stevenson.

Does Bronson make this roster?
I can see some minor holes in this strategy.

I really do like the backend of the bullpen with Lorenzen, Iggy, and Storen. I just think that the that MR and LR is going to be overworked just like last season. If the starters can eat a few more innings (command and control) this season, we might be pleasantly surprised with this team. Not saying we'll be a wildcard team but I think I read that one of you guys said this could be a third place team and I agree. As painful as it was to watch most games last season, I can honestly say that I enjoyed watching a "new" team.

If I were a betting man, I'd put money on Bronson making the roster if he's healthy. I think he's going to be this year's Kevin Gregg/Hoover. He was actually one of my favorite pitchers to watch with all of his off speed pitches and all the different arm angles...pretty neat stuff. When he was on, he was great and was an innings eater...But when he had a bad day, it was really, really bad.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the 13 names John listed would be the favorites to make the OD roster. A couple weeks ago the list had Straily and Bailey on it. Those two dropped off the list before ST even began.... I think a few more will as well for various reasons.

Bronson can pitch his way on to the team I suppose. At league minimum there's not much risk for the club. It wouldn't boost my confidence in the Reds ability to actually develop young pitchers though

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's odd that there are very few surprises today in baseball but it appears that some teams are better at developing pitchers than others are. Or is that an illusion?
So why are the Reds not developing their pitchers? It's a heady topic, not really germane to the spring season unless these great young arms spend still another season in the International League, getting closer to the point where they can't be developed.

Enter Bronson Arroyo. I have to believe the Reds don't honestly think he will help this team.

IF nobody gets hurt and he beats out Amir Garrett, then I have to wonder about what I wrote i the first sentence.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be the scouting more so than the developmental aspect that is the problem.

The Reds might want to buy the scouting department a new crystal ball. The one they're currently using may be cracked.

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'll be interesting to see where they spend their 2017 2nd overall pick in the draft. It's projected to be a deep college pitching draft. Some think they'll draft OF Jeren Kendall out of Vanderbilt.

I liked the early round picks in the 2016 draft. A lot of throw away picks in the 5-10 round range to save money for the top picks, but Senzel and Trammell look like solid future contributors. It was a better draft than some of the other clunkers in recent years. The Alex Blandino and Nick Howard 2014 draft may turn out to be the worst Reds draft in history.

This lineup would look a lot better with Nick Senzel and Jesse Winker in it. Senzel won't be in consideration for the 2017 team and I'm not expecting Winker to be cracking the OD roster. But he may get the call early if someone is injured or struggles at one of the corner OF spots.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This lineup would look a lot better with Nick Senzel and Jesse Winker in it. Senzel won't be in consideration for the 2017 team and I'm not expecting Winker to be cracking the OD roster. But he may get the call early if someone is injured or struggles at one of the corner OF spots.
I am prepared to wait another year on a corner infielder. I am still a bit puzzled as to how a pitcher can keep being shoved down and down until he's 28 years old and then the front office decides to hire a 40-year old rental arm. If these guys can't pitch, just say so. I can say without hesitation, Amir Garrett's numbers this year will not be worse than Ohlendorf's or Arroyo's or Gregg's or Wright's ... or the other 6 guys who tried to "start" a game for the Reds in the last 250.