• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

potential Fantasy football myths

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wanted to talk about Handcuffs as well in this thread, but the more I talk about handcuffs the more my views change... Biggest problem I have with the discussion is how people consider the #2 in a split back a handcuff... they might be semantically, but when we talk about drafting Handcuffs, we are not talking about the ones we would draft early... Derrick Henry, Tevin Coleman and others like that are ALREADY fantasy relevant...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to talk about Handcuffs as well in this thread, but the more I talk about handcuffs the more my views change... Biggest problem I have with the discussion is how people consider the #2 in a split back a handcuff... they might be semantically, but when we talk about drafting Handcuffs, we are not talking about the ones we would draft early... Derrick Henry, Tevin Coleman and others like that are ALREADY fantasy relevant...

and the way RBs are used these days it's even harder to pick a RB. I mean unless you are DJ or Bell then you will be splitting a lot of time with your teams other RBs

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to talk about Handcuffs as well in this thread, but the more I talk about handcuffs the more my views change.
I've never been a fan of handcuffs.

Take LeVeon Bell. If Fitz Toussaint wins the RB2 job, there'd be no way you can convince me he'd be just as good as Bell. Which is another reason I'd rather find fantasy depth elsewhere.

I'm sure the theory is at least you would not be without a starting RB in this scenario.
But I'd still rather take my chances on other RB options late in drafts.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take LeVeon Bell. If Fitz Toussaint wins the RB2 job, there'd be no way you can convince me he'd be just as good as Bell. Which is another reason I'd rather find fantasy depth elsewhere.

I'm sure the theory is at least you would not be without a starting RB in this scenario.

In general I'm not a fan of handcuffs either. Take David Johnson cuff.....does he have one? Often time a cuff that becomes a starter just doesn't put up good numbers and your better off with finding a better value. However in some cases like Gillislee in Buffalo, yes great cuff.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In general I'm not a fan of handcuffs either. Take David Johnson cuff.....does he have one? Often time a cuff that becomes a starter just doesn't put up good numbers and your better off with finding a better value. However in some cases like Gillislee in Buffalo, yes great cuff.
DJ cuff is chris johnson , yuck

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this is where the great divide comes, imo
no one thought DWill would do what he did spelling Bell. So now, there's this blind assumption that's where the floor is for the PIT RB1.

I just think you have to decide which ones you like, and target them in the later rounds, regardless who your drafted early

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to handcuffing, i think whether you do it or not is dictated by league size and bench spots. A 12 team or smaller, with 5-6 bench spots, handcuffs are an unneccessary luxury, as the amount of RB's rostered will generally leave a small handful of somewhat useful backs available in free agency most of the time. 14 teams or larger, or 8 bench spots or more, make cuffing a virtual necessity, as virtually all useful RB's are rostered at all times. Having available IR spots would factor in as well

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to handcuffing, i think whether you do it or not is dictated by league size and bench spots. A 12 team or smaller, with 5-6 bench spots, handcuffs are an unneccessary luxury, as the amount of RB's rostered will generally leave a small handful of somewhat useful backs available in free agency most of the time. 14 teams or larger, or 8 bench spots or more, make cuffing a virtual necessity, as virtually all useful RB's are rostered at all times. Having available IR spots would factor in as well

It really is all about NFL team/RB... You know when a RB makes his team, compared to when a team makes a RB... Teams like Dallas, KC, Oakland, you know they WANT to run, whether it will be with their number one RB or not... When you looked at Peterson's Vikings, you knew Peterson was WHY they ran so much... a Peterson less offense, was not going to run even close to what it did...

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought of a myth.

Often you'll hear/read about how many more opportunities an offense will have if it gets better.
That's not entirely true.

The short version is that basically each team has an average of 62 plays to work with in any given game.
And believe it or not, better offenses may use less than 62 plays (since they're more productive).

Going back 40 years, the same was still true. Roughly 62 plays a game on average for each team.
So essentially, the opportunities don't increase, the production does.
Plug

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I DONT LIKE stacks

say jordy and rodgers

I like to spread around the wealth. if they lose a game 20-3 your done........im more prone to take a guy of similar value on another team to spread around the wealth

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i only stack on DFS
There are specific instances, such as my oddball scoring money league, where very specific situations, i.e., the greatest show on turf, the 05 Pats, last years Falcons, are good to stack, but otherwise, i agree, too many eggs in one basket to get stipend on multiple players in the same offense.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are specific instances, such as my oddball scoring money league, where very specific situations, i.e., the greatest show on turf, the 05 Pats, last years Falcons, are good to stack, but otherwise, i agree, too many eggs in one basket to get stipend on multiple players in the same offense.
exactly

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like drafting cuffs if in a few situations

1. I know my early round RB is going to miss some time because of injury or suspension(Bell last year, Zeke this year)
2. Suicide league setup and i have a stud RB i'd consider grabbing his cuff late in the draft
3. Grabbing a hyped rookie as one of my starters with a late round cuff or the opposite (Dalvin, Mixon, Hunt, and Perine)
4. Deep benches

Stacks are irrelevant if it's Jordy vs someone comparable i play whoever has the better match up, if its Jordy vs some lesser receiver i play Jordy.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year I used the 0 WR strategy last year. I had 6 of my first 7 round picks were all RBs. Only WR I took was demarius Thomas. Ended up with bell and Elliot back to back in the last first early second

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OJ Howard being productive next year will mean that you should draft Tampa Bay Running backs and not OJ Howard.

Howard is raw even for a normal college receiving prospect. Everyone raves about his blocking and not his route running.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How is Henry fantasy relevant when he's not the starter? You do not know when he will get those chances at the goalline. A flex shouldn't have points like 4, 6, 15, 4, 5, 11, 2. That's not fantasy relevant and if you are not ensuring every spot on your team produces you're vulnerable to losing to a player's team going off.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Henry fantasy relevant when he's not the starter? You do not know when he will get those chances at the goalline. A flex shouldn't have points like 4, 6, 15, 4, 5, 11, 2. That's not fantasy relevant and if you are not ensuring every spot on your team produces you're vulnerable to losing to a player's team going off.
how was tevin coleman relevant?