• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Padres now discussing deal for Hamels

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Wil Myers would be a piece in a package sent to the Phillies for Hamels.

Padres Have Discussed Trading Myers For Hamels ? MLB Trade Rumors

This would make them a very scary team. It makes too much sense. They already have Vennable and Smith in their OF along with Upton and Kemp so using Myers for pitching would be smart.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes great sense, holy padres, this could be a Boston makeover worst to 1st at this rate.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Padres making a lot of moves this off season.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news for the teams in the N.L. West who refuse to open their coffers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news for the teams in the N.L. West who refuse to open their coffers.

The Snakes and Rox didn't really have much of a chance to begin with. This does not affect that.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They signed Josh Johnson to a 1 year, incentive laden deal. Nice little gamble right there, low risk, high reward.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They signed Josh Johnson to a 1 year, incentive laden deal. Nice little gamble right there, low risk, high reward.

The Padres had him last year & Josh was injured most of the season. They like him & he wants to be a Padre. I hope Johnson can get healthy & actually make an impact.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels is a San Diego native, but he was so pissed off after the Padres didn't draft him that he said he would never play for the Padres organization. Of course we can all change out minds. I wouldn't given up to much for Hamels considering his contract.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hamels is a San Diego native, but he was so pissed off after the Padres didn't draft him that he said he would never play for the Padres organization. Of course we can all change out minds. I wouldn't given up to much for Hamels considering his contract.

He has a bit of a history of shooting from the hip. I would hope he made that comment (I don't remember the comment, but I do remember that he had SOMETHING against the Padres) out of frustration and has grown since.

As for giving up a huge package for Hamels, I asked the question on the Giants board when his name surfaced as being available if the Giants would be interested in him for no players (just take over the contract). He is a VERY good pitcher. A clear Ace. But he is getting paid, for a long time, at SUPER-ELITE $$. If he were a free agent, would you sign him to that contract? If the answer is no, than why would you give up assets to acquire him?

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a bit of a history of shooting from the hip. I would hope he made that comment (I don't remember the comment, but I do remember that he had SOMETHING against the Padres) out of frustration and has grown since.

As for giving up a huge package for Hamels, I asked the question on the Giants board when his name surfaced as being available if the Giants would be interested in him for no players (just take over the contract). He is a VERY good pitcher. A clear Ace. But he is getting paid, for a long time, at SUPER-ELITE $$. If he were a free agent, would you sign him to that contract? If the answer is no, than why would you give up assets to acquire him?

The one positive about the contract is any team would have him for the next 4 years. I like the Padres starting pitching staff as it is. I don't feel Hamels is a need for the Padres. They already have 2 aces in Cashner & Ross. I didn't like losing Hahn because I like his potential. He'll do well in Oakland if he stays healthy. Like I said I wouldn't give up to much to get Hamels.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really starting to get excited about the front office moves. I was very skeptical at first, but it looks like the new GM and ownership are serious about bringing a contender to our fine city. If we can pick up Hamels, there's no reason to think that we could not contend for the NL West crown next season.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The one positive about the contract is any team would have him for the next 4 years. I like the Padres starting pitching staff as it is. I don't feel Hamels is a need for the Padres. They already have 2 aces in Cashner & Ross. I didn't like losing Hahn because I like his potential. He'll do well in Oakland if he stays healthy. Like I said I wouldn't give up to much to get Hamels.

Not only that, but the contract will end when he's around age 34-35, so there's a solid chance he'll be productive throughout the rest of the contract and the team may not have to deal with any years where he's washed up/declined significantly (like a team would be risking more if they signed Scherzer or Shields to a deal that will likely take them into their late 30s).

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...you are not getting Hamels by just taking over his contract. Redonkulous!

Aero407

Blame Jameis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro Jr has been demanding a King's Ransom for Hamels, even with the hefty contract. Having already sold the Farm, San Diego doesn't have the pieces to make such a deal.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amaro Jr has been demanding a King's Ransom for Hamels, even with the hefty contract. Having already sold the Farm, San Diego doesn't have the pieces to make such a deal.

As he should, considering Hamels is still one of the best pitchers in baseball (and probably a top 5 NL pitcher in 2014), and just came off arguably his best season.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00